Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely cheap prescription glasses.

Options
  • 09-03-2013 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Lost my glasses (Yet again!) and needed a new pair. Tried to find dirt cheap online retailers but most did not take Paypal and had very high shipping costs.

Then I found Firmoo.com, an asian retailer. If you use the coupon code, 'WELCOME', you will get 20% off your order AND free shipping (Worth 19USD).

Got myself a nice new pair of prescription glasses for 13 euro :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

how do you know which ones to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

If you mean how you know your prescription, just get a copy of it from your optician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

try zenni optical

And goggles4u

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Quick question - I've got my own frames and would like to put my prescription on them. It's €45 in specsavers, wondering if anywhere does them cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭alanbk

If you mean how you know your prescription, just get a copy of it from your optician.
    How would I go about getting a copy of my prescription from specsavers? Why would I want it? Thanks op.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

alanbk wrote: »
    How would I go about getting a copy of my prescription from specsavers? Why would I want it? Thanks op.

Say you are going travelling and want to take it with you incase you break your glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Gormal

Apart from the fact they should have given it to you in the begining as you are entitled to it. Remember to get your PD (pupil distance) too, as you will be asked for this when buying online.

I couldn't believe that my OH had to ask for theirs and that it was just scrawled onto a bit of paper. We won't be going there again for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Gormal wrote: »
    Apart from the fact they should have given it to you in the begining as you are entitled to it. Remember to get your PD (pupil distance) too, as you will be asked for this when buying online.

I couldn't believe that my OH had to ask for theirs and that it was just scrawled onto a bit of paper. We won't be going there again for many reasons.

Thanks for this tip, I got my eye test in Specsavers Dundrum this morning for €15 and no problem when asked for the prescription. But it does not include the pupil distance so be sure to memorise that when the optometirst enters it on computer after measuring.

I got 2 pairs, both free frames, but one pair tinted for driving, came to approx €32, used code "Discount" to get 5% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Say you are going travelling and want to take it with you in case you break your glasses

You have paid them to do the test which includes giving you your prescription - there is no need to give any reason other than to request it.
    But it does not include the pupil distance so be sure to memorise that when the optometirst enters it on computer after measuring.

Just ask the girl completing your prescription what your pupil distance is and could she note it down . Its easy enough to take your own if its form something like sunglasses that you won't wear constantly - 1 or 2 mm won't have any impact.

I've asked multiple times in Specsavers for the prescription and pupil distance without an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hi guys, this is from the end of my contact lenses box....
    5pNFsP.jpg
    Do i have enough information on here to proceed, or would i need to go get the prescription from specsavers?

Bet I'm oversimplifying this..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    Ask for the prescription and also get your pupil distance (PD).
    Then scan and email to yourself and no matter where you are its available.
    Got new specs recently from Zenni and can confirm their product is good. They are in the US but specs come from China and top class work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Hi guys, this is from the end of my contact lenses box....
    5pNFsP.jpg
    Do i have enough information on here to proceed, or would i need to go get the prescription from specsavers?

Bet I'm oversimplifying this..... :)
    That info (apart from the 0.75, which presumably applies to both eyes) is for contacts rather than glasses though.

Do you have a current prescription for glasses? Or do you even want glasses if you wear contacts?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Well you paid for the test, so the results are yours.You just ask for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Esel wrote: »
    That info (apart from the 0.75, which presumably applies to both eyes) is for contacts rather than glasses though.

Do you have a current prescription for glasses? Or do you even want glasses if you wear contacts?

You can't wear contacts 24/7....

There's not enough info on that box to get the glasses. Besides, your prescription for glasses may be different to that for contact lenses. If you have been for an eye test they're obliged to give you the prescrption.

cymbaline wrote: »
    You can't wear contacts 24/7....

There's not enough info on that box to get the glasses. Besides, your prescription for glasses may be different to that for contact lenses. If you have been for an eye test they're obliged to give you the prescrption.

Yep you can't..I learned that the hard way :(

This is basically what you get : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corneal_neovascularization And you dont notice until an Optician tells you so

^^ eek...

Anyway, i went to Specsavers yesterday, got an eyetest done. €15
    Asked the girl at the counter for my prescription, no problem, not even a second glance.
    I had estimated my PD at 70mm, using a ruler and a mirror, and the reading the optician took was 70mm. :D

So i went on Firmoo, entered my details, and ordered two pairs of glasses, one rimless, one semi-rimless, with an anti scratch coating on both of them. Using the 'WELCOME' coupon code, I paid by Paypal, the grand total of €33.!!

I'll post a few pics when they arrive - for that price they are worth a shot.

Thanks for this tip, I got my eye test in Specsavers Dundrum this morning for €15 and no problem when asked for the prescription. But it does not include the pupil distance so be sure to memorise that when the optometirst enters it on computer after measuring.

I got 2 pairs, both free frames, but one pair tinted for driving, came to approx €32, used code "Discount" to get 5% off.

Arrived today, really pleased with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You are Pauline McLynn!

snubbleste wrote: »
    You are Pauline McLynn!

omg , I'm taking them down now! :eek: :o

anyway, point being, pleased with quality and glad the v-try worked in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Is it possible to just guess the pupil distance and get it fairly right i.e. is there a usual range most people would be within? Have the rest of my details. Just want a spare pair

Is it possible to just guess the pupil distance and get it fairly right i.e. is there a usual range most people would be within? Have the rest of my details. Just want a spare pair

Yes. Generally you are within something like 60-70mm or something like that. They way to do it is get a straight ruler and stand in front of a mirror. Put the '0' in front of the centre of one of your pupils and then take the measurement at the middle of your other pupil.

You will probably be a mm or two off but it doesn't really matter (I don't think). This is how I did mine and, having worn my glasses for a week or so, have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Yes. Generally you are within something like 60-70mm or something like that. They way to do it is get a straight ruler and stand in front of a mirror. Put the '0' in front of the centre of one of your pupils and then take the measurement at the middle of your other pupil.

You will probably be a mm or two off but it doesn't really matter (I don't think). This is how I did mine and, having worn my glasses for a week or so, have no problems.
    Cheers. Gave it a go and looks in or around 65 so i'll go with that. I've a fairly low prescription anyway (-1, -.75) so presume it'll be fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Firmoo.com are having an Easter sale. 50% off all frames by using the code EASTER50. Just got myself 4 pairs (one pair of sunglasses) for $77 including shipping

head_easter_sale.jpg

Got my two pairs delivered from Firmoo last Friday - cannot find fault at all. Well chuffed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

ordered a pair of glasses $26 delivered from Zenni on wednesday 27th march and received them by fed ex this mTuesday April 2nd and are absolutely perfect - came all the way from from china - will be using Zenni again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Folks, gonna buy some glasses from zenni, can anyone help me understand the prescription?
    Appreciate any help. There are three fields, sphere, cylinder, axis and not sure what goes where...
    I am 60mm PD
    Here is my prescription
    1zqu7uh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

After spending €230 6 months ago on 2 pairs of glasses in Specasavers (already lost one pair), I have bookmarked and followed this page. Excellent!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Folks, gonna buy some glasses from zenni, can anyone help me understand the prescription?
    Appreciate any help. There are three fields, sphere, cylinder, axis and not sure what goes where...
    I am 60mm PD
    Here is my prescription
    1zqu7uh.jpg

That's a prescription for contact lenses so you need to get your glasses prescription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rod1983

I went into Vision Express and was told it was illegal for them to give me my pd. I questioned it and asked to cancell my dd with them after saying it was ridiculous that it was illegal to get my own personal prescription they gave it to me. Cancelled dd anyway after that.

Advertisement