Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education question.

Options
  • 09-03-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Im looking to go to back to college in sept.
    im 24 now.
    i did 1 year science in maynooth in 07 but left to work.

im currently on the X's and O's been on that since november

question i have is would i be eligble for beta?

Do i need to have conformation of a college place before i apply?

Would i have to pay tuition fees?

any help greatly appriecated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

I am also looking to back to college on btea
    In 2009 I did a course and dropped out, then completed a fetac level five then got a casual job and on X's and O's for year and a half and I would like to know the process involved in btea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Hi all,

Apply for the course, get approval letter, then apply for BTEA, also apply for a maintenance grant and you'll get fees paid! So you'll retain a BTWE payment, maintenance grant payment and free fees. Very simple process, good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You cannot get maintenance and btea. You can get the fees part of the grant and btea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

just to back up what eastbono said

you cant get a maintenance grant and a btea , was in my local employment centre
    and the girl basicly said you cant get both , she asked me which would i rather have

160 a week on btea
    or anywere from 60-200+ on maintence grant every 3months

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Far as I know if you completed first year of a course before, you are liable for first year fees for another course etc..

Depends on the day you dropped out, if before christmas only half the fees etc..

So i was told when I started in Maynooth by admin dept, so defo worth looking into.

And if I am right, you wont get your fees paid if you have to pay the full year yourself. Would be eligible for 2nd year etc.. provided you didnt do 2nd year aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Far as I know if you completed first year of a course before, you are liable for first year fees for another course etc..

Depends on the day you dropped out, if before christmas only half the fees etc..

So i was told when I started in Maynooth by admin dept, so defo worth looking into.

And if I am right, you wont get your fees paid if you have to pay the full year yourself. Would be eligible for 2nd year etc.. provided you didnt do 2nd year aswell!

OP should be covered by the Second Chance Scheme, which means the grant will pay the fees for a repeating year if the applicant has been out of formal education for 5 years. Unless this was changed in the budget... Applied to me when I started back to college two years ago.
    OP you don't need proof of a college place to apply, but you will need it to complete the application. Fill out the form, and give them anything they ask for, and then go back in with your letter of registration when you get it. Make sure you apply for the maintenance grant for your fees (you will only get fees if you get BTEA).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flora 86

Hi the website says youl get btea and the grant,im worried now because iv been saving over 700 to do a nursing course at gti and its all i got, im worried i wont b able to finish it if money gets to tight..Does any1 have any nursing interview tips as well please or what its like thank u

Hi id really like some info on the nurses course at gti,the interview ,the classes ,how hard is it???:oand the payment btsa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Student grants
    From the 2011/12 academic year the Student Grant Scheme is divided into 2 components – maintenance grants and fee grants. You cannot get the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) and the maintenance component of a student grant together unless you were getting BTEA in the 2009/10 academic year and are continuing your studies or progressing to a new course.

Although you are not entitled to the maintenance component of the student grant, you must still submit a student grant application form to be assessed for a fee grant to pay your Student Contribution (formerly called the student services charge), field trip costs and tuition fees (if payable).

If you are getting a One Parent Family Payment or a disability payment (Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension or Illness Benefit) you can choose to stay on your current social welfare payment and apply for a student grant or you can choose to transfer to the BTEA.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Daithi67

I was told that the BTEA only goes as far as level 8 which is bachelors degree level. I paid for my own degree whilst working and was asking about support for doing a masters. I don't get support for that. Should have gone unemployed and got the BTEA whilst doing the bachelors and worked doing a masters instead. Totally messed up on that one or does anybody know of a way of getting support doing a masters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Daithi67 wrote: »
    I was told that the BTEA only goes as far as level 8 which is bachelors degree level. I paid for my own degree whilst working and was asking about support for doing a masters. I don't get support for that. Should have gone unemployed and got the BTEA whilst doing the bachelors and worked doing a masters instead. Totally messed up on that one or does anybody know of a way of getting support doing a masters?

You can only get fee grants towards masters 2000 or upto 6270

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

spudnick wrote: »
    Im looking to go to back to college in sept.
    im 24 now.
    i did 1 year science in maynooth in 07 but left to work.

im currently on the X's and O's been on that since november

question i have is would i be eligble for beta?

Do i need to have conformation of a college place before i apply?

Would i have to pay tuition fees?

any help greatly appriecated

If you have been signing on (as per below) for 234 days then it is likely you will be eligible
    1.9 Qualifying Conditions for SLO & TLO

To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance (second level or third level option), a person must secure a place on an approved course (as specified above) and satisfy the following conditions immediately prior to the commencement of the first year of the course (see 1.14.9):

(A) at least 21 years of age (at least 24 years of age for an approved postgraduate qualification)

and

in receipt of one of the following social welfare payments for at least 3 months ( 78 days) for Second Level Option (SLO) and 9 months (234 days) for Third Level Option (TLO). [Linking rules may apply 1.11 and also see section 1.12]

Note: strict adherence to the condition in relation to qualifying days will be applied in all cases

Jobseekers Allowance
    Jobseekers Benefit
    Farm Assist
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Deserted Wife's Allowance
    Deserted Wife's Benefit
    Widow's/Widower's Non-Contributory Pension
    Widow's/Widower's Contributory Pension
    Prisoners Wife's Allowance
    Carer's Allowance
    or,

(B) be at least 18 years of age

and

in receipt of one the following social welfare payments for at least 3 months ( 78 days) for Second Level Option (SLO) and 9 months for Third Level Option (TLO)

Disability Allowance
    Blind Pension
    Invalidity Pension
    Incapacity Supplement (based on a Life Disablement Pension)
    or,

(C) Aged between 18 and 20 and out of formal education for at least 2 years. Periods spent on FÁS/Fáilte Ireland full-time Training Courses, FÁS Job Initiative, Youth Reach or Job Assist can count towards the relevant qualifying period and may be regarded as periods out of formal education.

and,

In receipt of Jobseekers Allowance, Jobseekers Benefit or One-Parent Family Payment for at least 3 months (( see note 1) 78 days of unemployment) for Second Level Option (SLO) and 9 months (( see note 1) 234 days of unemployment) for Third Level Option (TLO).

or

(D) In receipt of Illness Benefit for 2 years or more (2 year rule effective from September 2007)

Note 1: Sunday shall not be treated as a day of unemployment.

1.10 Progression in education course

The approved full-time education course must lead to a higher qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications other than that already held. It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level as, inter alia, this can lead to displacement of persons seeking such qualifications for the first time. Reference should be made to the National Framework of Qualifications (see appendix 3) e.g. If a person holds a Fetac level 5 qualification, they must be progressing to a level 6 qualification.

In terms of fees because it is more than 5 years since you left college you may be eligible for free fees and classed as a second chance student

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/free_tuition.htm
    http://fees.nuim.ie/freefees.shtml
    http://www.ait.ie/feesandgrants/feeassessment/freetuitionfees/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Tv2013 wrote: »
    I am also looking to back to college on btea
    In 2009 I did a course and dropped out, then completed a fetac level five then got a casual job and on X's and O's for year and a half and I would like to know the process involved in btea

You need to goto your local social welfare office and ask if you can apply for BTEA

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/353_Back-to-Education-Allowance.aspx#How_to_apply4

In your case you may not be deemed as a second chance student and might have to pay full fees depending on exactly when you dropped out in 2009

Terry Pratchet

flora 86 wrote: »
    Hi the website says youl get btea and the grant,im worried now because iv been saving over 700 to do a nursing course at gti and its all i got, im worried i wont b able to finish it if money gets to tight..Does any1 have any nursing interview tips as well please or what its like thank u

You can't BTEA and a MAINTENANCE GRANT

You can get BTEA and a FEE GRANT

There are discussions on nursing here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056881456
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056570920

Terry Pratchet

You can only get fee grants towards masters 2000 or upto 6270

I am sorry but I do not know what you mean by masters 2000 or up to 6270. :confused:

Daithi67 wrote: »
    I am sorry but I do not know what you mean by masters 2000 or up to 6270. :confused:

You can get a fee grant of EUR2000

OR

You can get a fee grant of upto EUR6270

See here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

Terry Pratchet

Thanks. My case officer specifically said there is no grant for doing a masters. I will look into it very carefully myself as I am almost sure to follow the masters route next September either along side work or full time.

hi has any 1 done nursing in gti,would love to find out more about it

please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

flora 86 wrote: »
    please

Flora this is State Benefits, you might want to direct your query to the education section of Boards, as you were already advised - you probably wont get much help in this sectiion

• Advertisement
Advertisement