Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Nursing/Midwifery

Options
  • 07-03-2012 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I have applied this year to midwifery and nursing as a mature student (i want to do midwifery) and i was wondering what exactly happens. i have been told different stories and wondering if someone can clerify this for me. i know there is an entrance exam in april and i have booked a prep test so i feel a little more prepared.so my questions are:
    when do you know ur results of this exam?
    Do you still get interviewed for nursing as a mature student?
    When do you know if you are accepted by a college?

Anyone who is doing this now and can tell me what they think of the course and especially mothers to young children. i am really giving myself work i am a single mother and work part time in the HSE but my only way of providing for me nd my child is to get a proper education. can you Work part time with this course. What are the hours like they say 35 a week but we all know thats the minimum.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP, I dont have any experience of the nursing courses but regarding the exams I can tell you should get your written exam results on Friday 18th May and first round offers my be made in June/ early July.

To my knowledge the interview has been scrapped and all offers are made on the basis of the written exams but I'm open to correction on this.

You should be getting an email from the Public appointments service by the end of this week with more infomation, including a copy of the booklet Nursing/Midwifery; A Career for You. This has lots of info on the application process inlcuding a timeline of what happens and when in the application process on page 28. There is also a link to this booklet on the Nursing board website: http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/careers.aspx

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

paperclip2 is right that the interview is gone. It was replaced last year with a 'job simulation exercise'. This is basically questions describing a situation you might face at work and asking 'what would you do next?' with multiple choices offered.

Sorry can't answer your other questions.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Hi Mammyof1,

I am in first year Midwifery NuiG, I'm 31 yrs old but I got my place thru Fetac not Mature application.
    Some info for you: when we are in college its 9-5 most days with some breaks in the middle. Placement for us is 13 hour shifts 2 days and 9 hrs one day this varies considerably from Uni to Uni thou. I would recommend going onto Rollercoaster.ie they have a discussion board for students who are applying and you might see info for the hours of the uni your applying too.

As regards working while in college a lot of people do manage it but with a child you will need good flexible childcare esp when on placement as you could start at 7.30am and not finish until 8.30pm and also depending on the hospital or ward they may or may not be helpful with what days you do.

Hope that helps best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Mammyof1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have applied this year to midwifery and nursing as a mature student (i want to do midwifery) and i was wondering what exactly happens. i have been told different stories and wondering if someone can clerify this for me. i know there is an entrance exam in april and i have booked a prep test so i feel a little more prepared.so my questions are:
    when do you know ur results of this exam?
    Do you still get interviewed for nursing as a mature student?
    When do you know if you are accepted by a college?

Anyone who is doing this now and can tell me what they think of the course and especially mothers to young children. i am really giving myself work i am a single mother and work part time in the HSE but my only way of providing for me nd my child is to get a proper education. can you Work part time with this course. What are the hours like they say 35 a week but we all know thats the minimum.

Thanks a million.

Hi there
    I'm a 3rd year midwifery student! I have two children ages 11 & 5!
    Firstly, there is a group set up on Facebook specifically for help with the whole application process, if you go on to the "adult education" board on roller coaster & head to the midwifery thread someone on there will tell you how to gain access to the facebook page

To say this course is tough is an understatement! It's extremely time consuming & you would have to have a good support network to help you out with minding your child! Personally there is just no way I could even consider working part time as the hours of this course are very intense!
    While on placement the hours are 7.30am-8.30 pm 3 days per week!
    At the moment I'm on placement but I also have a load of assignments to do so even on my days off I'm working around the clock on assignments!!

What college are you planning on applying for??

Im probably coming across as very negative but I just wish I had known the extent of how tough it'd be before I started

On the plus side, I don't have any major regrets & I love midwifery so much so I know the hard slog will be worth it in the end!
    The course also flies by!

If you are really passionate about it & think you have a good family network to help you out with child care then go for it

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Grande

Hi there,
    I just wanted to confirm what I just read here. There is NO INTERVIEW to get into nursing. I thought there was. So there's none of that, why do you want to be a nurse? Wy do you want to come to such and such a college stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Grande wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I just wanted to confirm what I just read here. There is NO INTERVIEW to get into nursing. I thought there was. So there's none of that, why do you want to be a nurse? Wy do you want to come to such and such a college stuff?

Hi
    No there is no interview anymore,last year was the first year without the interview!
    But being honest the interview never included "why do you want to come to such and such college" anyway! The interview was an extremely tough process where you had to submit a 6 page questionnaire type thing before the interview, this included 6 different scenarios where you had to write an A4 page on each scenario for eg. Discuss a time where u showed responsibility.... You'd have to give a scenario, a real one, write about it & then in the interview u were questioned on each of the 6 scenarios, if they werent happy with the answer u gave they'd give u another scenario out of the blue & ask your opinion!

The interview was very tough & it did not involve "why did u choose this course"

I think it's a pity the interview has been stopped though! So many people will slip through the loop now just because they excel in aptitude tests

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mamaehinoh

thank goodness for this thread! let me introduce myself, my name is esmeralda and i am a mother of 4 children. (married and dh will stay with the kids if i am lucky enough to get a place on the course).
    i have applied for mature code nursing in trinity, ait and dcu. i live in portlaoise so my first choice is athlone (due to transport though i prefer dub) saturday is the aptitude test, and i am very nervous! i wanted to apply school year 09/10 when i was doing fetac l 5 nursing in 08/09 but fell pregnant then so i couldn't apply. i got 5 distinctions back then where it mattered the most, so i hope i am lucky enough to get a place. i love it. i realise that it is very hard work though, and i am willing to go through all that. Now my question is what to expect this saturday? (esp numerical test, i am terrible at maths!) its been too long that i have been in school doing maths, any advice? i got the test familiarization booklet, but there is not much in it. good luck to all of you applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dedede

mamaehinoh wrote: »
    thank goodness for this thread! let me introduce myself, my name is esmeralda and i am a mother of 4 children. (married and dh will stay with the kids if i am lucky enough to get a place on the course).
    i have applied for mature code nursing in trinity, ait and dcu. i live in portlaoise so my first choice is athlone (due to transport though i prefer dub) saturday is the aptitude test, and i am very nervous! i wanted to apply school year 09/10 when i was doing fetac l 5 nursing in 08/09 but fell pregnant then so i couldn't apply. i got 5 distinctions back then where it mattered the most, so i hope i am lucky enough to get a place. i love it. i realise that it is very hard work though, and i am willing to go through all that. Now my question is what to expect this saturday? (esp numerical test, i am terrible at maths!) its been too long that i have been in school doing maths, any advice? i got the test familiarization booklet, but there is not much in it. good luck to all of you applying![/QUOTE
    hi ya.... i to am doing the test this saturday,you should of got an e mail of the cao....
    Telling you yr. number and the time you have, you must bring that with you and a pasport photo. 2 pencils, rubber. I am really worried about the maths to as I a am not great at maths. I have work in the hospice for 5 yrs and then home help for 10,ive always wanted to become a nurse hope I get my chance if I don’t I’ll go on to do feta nursing studies and reapply next year.. I wish you the best of luck Saturday

Hi dedede.. good luck to you on saturday! i got the email from the c.a.o a couple of weeks ago.. its just getting sooo close now. i'm up at 1:30 pm in dublin, so i got a couple of hours thank god. i'm coming in from portlaoise now so i've got to find away to the test centre. i'm also not good at maths.. but hopefully i'm strong enough in the rest of the other exams so my points will count up. fingers crossed.. take care.

hi there . thank god There is NO INTERVIEW to get into nursing any more,one less thing to stress about. I am doing my nursing exam on Saturday. I am very worried about the maths, does anyone have an idea of what maths you have to learn. I have bought how to pass selection test and the I Q psychometric… the maths in the books are very hard. Very different to what I have learned a long time ago.
    Thank

• Advertisement

hi dedede maybe this can help you.. i joined a group on fb and rollercoaster i don't know if you are on it.. however some very kind people on there have emailed me the test from last years preparation day.. it shows exactly the kind of maths they will ask you. If you want you can send me your email so i will forward it to you.. its not only maths but all the tests are in it it can really help you with practicing for saturday. let me know so i will forward it. take care, esmeralda.

thanks mamaehino thant would be great,i sent you a private message,im still not use to this so i hope you got it.
    dedede.

hi there, im doing my nursing exam tomoro,for anyone else out there doing it good luck.. im a realy worried about the maths, if anyone one could help me out if they know what sort of maths ive to learn the ones i am learning are drifferent to the famiarilzation test booklet,and im realy worried as im doing my test tomorro morning.

if anyone could help me out, i would be so greatfull.

thanks

I'm so sorry dedede i didn't get back to you sooner.. ive emailed it to you now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 loulouangela88

someone please help me, i have the exam tomorrow at 1:30pm and i am not prepared at all!! any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mamal29

Hi All, just wondering how everyone got on on Saturday? Im a mam of 3 and have applied for midwifery too. What did you think of the maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Grande

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    Hi
    No there is no interview anymore,last year was the first year without the interview!
    But being honest the interview never included "why do you want to come to such and such college" anyway! The interview was an extremely tough process where you had to submit a 6 page questionnaire type thing before the interview, this included 6 different scenarios where you had to write an A4 page on each scenario for eg. Discuss a time where u showed responsibility.... You'd have to give a scenario, a real one, write about it & then in the interview u were questioned on each of the 6 scenarios, if they werent happy with the answer u gave they'd give u another scenario out of the blue & ask your opinion!

The interview was very tough & it did not involve "why did u choose this course"

I think it's a pity the interview has been stopped though! So many people will slip through the loop now just because they excel in aptitude tests

Wow that sounds so so tough. But I guess if you put in the work it was more do-able for some than a standardised test like now.

I will be applying next year and am not sure how I will do on the tests yet. I'll buy some of the preparatory books and see how I get on.

I hope to start FETAC in September so I can apply through that aswell (not many place I know) and also in the north.

Did you get a place through the old interview system mumtoe&e

• Registered Users Posts: 42 siobhan c

Hi everyone, so the results are out on friday, sooooooo nervous!!! dont think i done too well at all! being a nurse has always been a dream of mine and would be over the moon if i got high enough marks to get in!! but there is always next year spose! good luck to everyone xx

good luck to every one ... i wish friday was here allready, im realy nervous. i have applied for fetac nursing studies just in case i dnt get it... i didnt finish all the question so im a bit worried that my points wont be very high, ill just have to wait and see . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LylaElise

Don't worry dedede, I didn't finish all the maths questions. These tests are designed in a way that makes it near impossible to complete.

I just finished the fetac nursing studies course there last week, so if you have any questions about it ask away. Personally I loved it. I got a job out of it in Feb through work experience that I love.

• Advertisement

ahh thanks lylaelise might just take u up on that offer. did u apply this year with featc and as a mature student ?. ive been a care ass for the last 15 yrs and i would love be do nursing. good luck tomorro with the points.

has anyone got there results?? and how did you get them?? i have heard nothin!!!

i think they send you an e/mail im not sure i just e mail the cao to see.when i get a e mail back ill know.i post it up.good luck. the witing is a killer.

i know, the waiting is the worst part. i have recieved anything at all yet!!

i know i e mail the cao and they said the results will be sent out today that was at 2 she replied to me.i keep checking my e mail every 5 mins.lol wish they would just post it.. has anyone got there results yet.

overall score of 219... to me it doesnt seem good enough to get in anywhere compared to last years score

that good,it depends on where you applied for trinity is 158 points.when did you get your results in.i still havent got mine in.

i got mine over an email about half a hour ago!! its such a confusing email and when you add it up yourself its added up wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maxiebaby

Hey, did anyone get Nursing in Waterford??? I got General, very happy!!

• Advertisement

hi all..god this thread is nearly forgotten about! how did you all get on?
    well i had an overal score of 215.. and i'm delighted to have been offered intellectual disability nursing in dcu!
    i hope to hear from you again.. to all of you who had offers.. congrats! and to those who didn't.. don't give up! round 3 is on the 20th of august.. i hope to god all of you will get what you hope for! xxx esmeralda.

Advertisement