Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyross and Ballymun

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

You're lucky that you're well able though. Some people whom I know were scared sh1tless growing up and got out as fast as they could. But I know: home's home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Madam_X wrote: »
    You're lucky that you're well able though. Some people whom I know were scared sh1tless growing up and got out as fast as they could. But I know: home's home.
    Nope, I'm lucky that I have two sons who are well able(which came as a surprise). They are also born and raised here and are very, very popular(also a surprise). I moved in here, and usually, that does not end well, at all, no matter how hardy you might think you are. Round here, they're pretty hardy and plenty of newcomers have moved on rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Dwork wrote: »
    Nope, I'm lucky that I have two sons who are well able(which came as a surprise). They are also born and raised here and are very, very popular(also a surprise). I moved in here, and usually, that does not end well, at all, no matter how hardy you might think you are. Round here, they're pretty hardy and plenty of newcomers have moved on rapidly.
    Because of intimidation?, strangers aren't welcome where you live?

Because of intimidation?, strangers aren't welcome where you live?
    Pretty much. If you came here 15 years ago(I did and a bit before actually) strangers were a bit less than "welcome". That's not so much the case now, but before, yeah, pretty much. Good people, but just very clannish. Very much a case of "them or us".

Very much a case of "them or us".

Sounds like my experience of Listowel tbh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

High population density, low employment, little hop of anything improving. Combine the three for future landscapes of decaying concrete and exposed rebars.
    I have my eye on Balbriggan for infamy in the making.

kowloon wrote: »
    High population density, low employment, little hop of anything improving. Combine the three for future landscapes of decaying concrete and exposed rebars.
    I have my eye on Balbriggan for infamy in the making.

"In the making"?? Bal Briggan? No making required, it's ready assembled. Roooouughgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i've been to Moyross and Ballymun. I have to say that Knocknaheeney is not in the same class as either, i don't find it too bad anyway, having worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've never been to Moyross, but ballymun is dodgy. There are probably some great people from there. I only know a couple personally and they are great. But the area itself is a ****hole. There's large swathes i wouldn't walk through at night.

Whereas i used to live in Blanchardstown. Most of Blanch I would feel safe in. Obviously not Corduff, but most of blanch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sitting down having my cup of coffee in the 'mun not seeing what the big deal is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

id be more afraid in dolphin house on the southside. people need to realise that the real divide is east/west i dublin. there are more rundown/working class/rough areas south of the liffey than north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Two towns with the worst reputation yet the nicest and most geniune people living in them.

Don't kid yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I've never met anyone from North Dublin who was actually truely genuine and nice. They're nice when they're trying to fleece you. Mostly uneducated and poorly dressed, its actually quiet intimidating listening to them. They have nothing to lose and most wouldnt think twice about sticking a knife to your neck.

You need to keep better company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I've never met anyone from North Dublin who was actually truely genuine and nice. They're nice when they're trying to fleece you. Mostly uneducated and poorly dressed, its actually quiet intimidating listening to them. They have nothing to lose and most wouldnt think twice about sticking a knife to your neck.

i know you are trolling but can you give me an opinion on the following areas -

ballyfermot
    clondalkin
    tallaght
    inchicore
    kilmainham
    drimnagh
    crumlin
    sundrive
    ballybrack
    sallynoggin
    kilcross
    moreen in sandyford
    holylands
    ringsend
    south inner city
    dolphins barn
    walkinstown
    bluebell
    kylemore
    meath street
    monkstown (specifically monkstown farm)
    mounttown flats
    brookfield in blackrock
    shanganagh cliffs in shankill

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

"In the making"?? Bal Briggan? No making required, it's ready assembled. Roooouughgh.
    agreed. balbriggan is a ghetto.lots of scum have migrated from Dublin proper,the native balbriggan scum(as scummy as the dubs just more reckless) are quickly learning the cunning ways of the Dublin chaps,then you have the large traveller population kicking the crap out of each other every other night then throw the non nationals into the mix and the rampant drug use across the board and chaos is bound to ensue.place is gone to the dogs,i find it very rough,and i come from a part of Dublin which constantly makes the papers for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

You can get good and bad from every area, The people I've met from Ballymun have become some of my best friends, the nicest most caring people you can meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This really is a great thread to point out the double standards of boards.ie (perhaps even society?)

- If I was to call nigerians scumbags I would be quickly met with people disputing that. Calling me a racist. Most likely even a ban.
    - But it's perfectly ok to call people from certain areas "scumbags"

You could say it's the whole "It's ok to slag your own" - But thats crap. Let's face facts there are alot of scumbags in Ballymun. But here is the kicker, people in general are pricks. Life is a rat race. Everyone out for themselves. Be it from Ballymun or Blackrock or whatever. Such is life.

So it kinda bothers me when one can say "people from Ballymun/clondalkin/blanchardstown (etc etc) are scumbags" but dare say that about certain nationalites? :eek: ... oh well you are a "racist" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

There's dickheads in every area, just some areas they outnumber/outstrenghthen the normal folks.I live in North Clondalkin,the estate I live in was a no go area in the late 90's and early 00's.No buses,takeaway deliveries and you couldn't get a taxi to drop you anywhere near the estate.The culchie guards in the station about a minutes walk fom the estate couldn't give a ****e unless there was a murder.

There's still the nasty element living a few doors down from me,but the community got together about 5 years ago and tried to make things better,and I can honestly say that I'd rather live here,where the neighbours actual give a ****e about the people rather then in some 'peaceful' area where the inhabitants are strangers to each other.

I'd also strongly suggest that members of AGS from Dublin should actually be stationed in Dublin,as they seem to give way more of a shít then the Gardai who originate from the country do,imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There's good and bad in every area but I think we all know there would be a much higher percentage of skangers in the places mentioned despite the OPs rose tinted view of things, and I fully include areas of Galway as well in this.

This really is a great thread to point out the double standards of boards.ie (perhaps even society?)

- If I was to call nigerians scumbags I would be quickly met with people disputing that. Calling me a racist. Most likely even a ban.
    - But it's perfectly ok to call people from certain areas "scumbags"

You could say it's the whole "It's ok to slag your own" - But thats crap. Let's face facts there are alot of scumbags in Ballymun. But here is the kicker, people in general are pricks. Life is a rat race. Everyone out for themselves. Be it from Ballymun or Blackrock or whatever. Such is life.

So it kinda bothers me when one can say "people from Ballymun/clondalkin/blanchardstown (etc etc) are scumbags" but dare say that about certain nationalites? :eek: ... oh well you are a "racist" :rolleyes:

Feck off. saying some areas are dodgy isn't racist.

I know nigerians who are great. Nigeria itself is quite dodgy and there are places I as a white man couldn't go. Does it make me racist saying that? No.

Blanch isn't bad. But if i were to walk through corduff there's a chance someone could kick the **** out of me. Wouldn't happen in waterville across the road. Why? Cos there's scumbags in Corduff. Are they all scumbags? no. I know some great people from there. But there are scumbags there and i certainly wouldn't walk through that place alone at night.

• Advertisement

I'd also strongly suggest that members of AGS from Dublin should actually be stationed in Dublin,as they seem to give way more of a shít then the Gardai who originate from the country do,imo.

It's a bit nuts that you get culchies who know nothing about cities stationed in places like Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Grayson wrote: »
    It's a bit nuts that you get culchies who know nothing about cities stationed in places like Dublin city centre.

Yeah totally true, the other 25 counties outside Dublin are like the Canadian tundra, we have never even seen a city:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

To be fair most country people living / working in Dublin tend to know the city better than Dubs. That's my experience anyhow. ;)

Yeah totally true, the other 25 counties outside Dublin are like the Canadian tundra, we have never even seen a city:rolleyes:

I grew up in a middling sized town. That's nothing compared to dealing with drunk scumbags in the dodgier areas of dublin. I'm admit, Limerick for example has plenty of scum. And someone from there might be better prepared for it. But someone from north cork or Roscommon? The only times they've been in a city is if they happened to go to college there or for the occasional shopping trips. They're completely out of their depth. It'd be like watching paris Hilton try to milk a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cant speak with any authority on Moyross as i havnt had the pleasure but i think it's unfair to single out Ballymun considering the amount of shiiteholes in Dublin. Now, undoubtedly Ballymun is a dive, a female friend of mine was mugged at knifepoint and a male friend had his motorbike stolen, courtesy of the local wildlife. When they were demolishing the flats, they should have just leveled the whole place and sowed the ground with salt.
    But as someone else stated, it is west Dublin which is the real cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

agreed. balbriggan is a ghetto.lots of scum have migrated from Dublin proper,the native balbriggan scum(as scummy as the dubs just more reckless) are quickly learning the cunning ways of the Dublin chaps,then you have the large traveller population kicking the crap out of each other every other night then throw the non nationals into the mix and the rampant drug use across the board and chaos is bound to ensue.place is gone to the dogs,i find it very rough,and i come from a part of Dublin which constantly makes the papers for the wrong reasons.
    Ah yeah Balbriggan is a basket case. The sheer variety of scum is something to behold.

i know you are trolling but can you give me an opinion on the following areas -

ballyfermot
    clondalkin
    tallaght
    inchicore
    kilmainham
    drimnagh
    crumlin
    sundrive
    ballybrack
    sallynoggin
    kilcross
    moreen in sandyford
    holylands
    ringsend
    south inner city
    dolphins barn
    walkinstown
    bluebell
    kylemore
    meath street
    monkstown (specifically monkstown farm)
    mounttown flats
    brookfield in blackrock
    shanganagh cliffs in shankill

thanks
    Last years winners list in the "Search for a Scar?"

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Northside born and bread wouldnt want to live anywhere else tbh,south Dublin is not all its cracked up to be,i seen a group of toffs in foxrock one day bounce a rugby ball off some grannys head!!!i thought it was hilarious mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ah yeah Balbriggan is a basket case. The sheer variety of scum is something to behold.

Up in the town maybe - you have all walks of life to be fair, pikies, general scum, dubs who moved out this direction and wreck the place (I'm an import and I see it!) - some would give out about the black population in the town but to be honest I've never seen any crap from them other than **** parking and driving skills....

Take a walk out of the town to any part of the countryside surrounding area's and it's a pretty nice place with genuine people and quite a nice place to live....

(I live in Balrothery, slight bias!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Oh and just to add to above - I'm originally from Santry - next door to the so called hellhole Ballymun, where in the 28 years of living in that area of Dublin I have never had as much as boo said to me...

Advertisement