Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Welfare Payments for Religious Ceremonies Halved 2012

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

mathepac wrote: »
    "... Details published by Social Protection minister Joan Burton show that the value of the average payment made to families seeking help covering the costs of clothing for religious ceremonies stood at €120 last year. ..." Ah yes, "Read Share and Distort" any news with any religious content. Read the article you linked to very carefully. Baptisms, christenings, marriages, deaths, bar mitzvahs, annulments anyone?

I'm sure people are well aware that other religious ceremonies are catered for with the payment. In fact the article itself distorts the information by referencing communions only in multiple places. Finally this payment is known as the "communion allowance" for a reason, I'm sure it can be agreed the majority of payment users seek it for this reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm sure people are well aware that other religious ceremonies are catered for with the payment. In fact the article itself distorts the information by referencing communions only in multiple places. Finally this payment is known as the "communion allowance" for a reason, I'm sure it can be agreed the majority of payment users seek it for this reason

That doesn't matter.

There are people who don't subscribe to any form of religion. If the Government gives extra welfare to those who happen to believe in some form of deity over those who don't that's discrimination.

Personally I'm a Christian, but I can see that this doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Had the atheist OP not decided to start this thread in AH, we wouldn't be deluged with repetitive crap from either side.:P

The atheist OP was entirely correct to post the original post.

However, if I see others making nonsense assumptions about Christianity on thread like the one below, that's when I'm tempted to respond:
    Grayson wrote:
    Remember, the true meaning of christianity is to suffer. Give up crap for lent, but don't help people.

Think about it if I made assumptions about you, and what you valued then you'd be doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Communions ,confirmation's and debs outfits all paid for with assistance from the welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Also, €1.5million, I know the country is not in great shape, but I doubt that €1.5 is what will make or break us. We waste larger sums of money on far more ridiculous things that that.

Yeah but if you cut out ALL the ridiculous wastes, this included, it would certainly help quite a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think its ridiculous to be spending tax payer money on this nonsense. When I made my communion I remember the only thing I and the other kids were interested in was how much money we would make out of it. Shallow I know but that is the way that most kids feel about it. Kids whose school has a uniform should make their communions in the uniform.

I know that there are people who even if the kids had to wear a uniform would still buy expensive clothes for their children to wear afterwards. That is their choice. Personally I don't see why there needs to be such a song and dance about the whole thing.

In my opinion it is a needless expense that really shouldn't be a part of the school curriculum. I wonder how long it would continue if all state schools eliminated religious education and in order to make communion/confirmation the parents had to take their kids to mass every sunday.

Advertisement