Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can see their rationale. They want to get more female members. They don't have enough qualified applicants.
    So they're able to make case-by-case decisions to allow someone who fails the initial test in, on the basis that they're confident that this person will be able to meet the requirements of the role over time.
    It's a positive action measure. And it's pretty much not 'getting rid of' fitness tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Yes, beforehand they would "use" a failed test as the basis for a letter saying "thank you for your interest, but …".

Now it's giving women a pass when they have failed - and a lot of the fitness tests had lower standards/slower times for women anyway.

I'm a woman and it's misandry pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

If there are jobs that don’t require a certain level of fitness, why do men have to pass the fitness test for such jobs? Seems pretty clear cut sex discrimination i.e. treating people different based on their sex. And from the State no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Because discrimination is permissible in Irish law under certain circumstances and conditions. Positive action is permissible, positive discrimination is a minefield best avoided:

https://archive.ph/lyPgH

And unlawful discrimination is obviously, unlawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

OK, though that is simply saying legally it might be ok. But either the job/career does or doesn’t need people to have a certain level of fitness. But this is saying some people need to have a level of fitness to do the job but other people do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

It's funny how far people have to exaggerate the situation in order to complain about it.

It's not, of course, giving women a pass when they have failed. It's giving the employer the option to give some women a pass, on the basis that they'll be able to meet the requirements of the role in time.

But 'misandry'! Seriously? 🤣🤣🤣

Because I'm not going to let you put words into my mouth. You know the answers, so why are you asking me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's giving the employer the option to give all women who fail a pass, if they want. How are they going to determine which losers to opt for I wonder.

If they're confident they can meet the requirements in time, then why don't they just give them another chance next year to pass the test? They're obviously not confident and therefore need to let them in now.

As long as they don't go screaming sexism when their comrades have absolutely no respect for them at all.

There's a lack of male Primary School teachers. By your logic should they still be given jobs if they fail collage exams because they might meet the requirements later?

What if a female who fails a fitness test never gets to the level required?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

There are some very capable and professional female soldiers. If I was one I'd be fuming over this. I'd hate for people to assume I'm less capable than my colleagues and that I was accepted because of what genitals I have.

I'd also feel short-changed if I was on a dangerous deployment, supported by somebody who wasn't required to meet the same standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

What is the male equivalent of a handmaiden ? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redliketoast

Could you imagine seeing a National Newspaper say something like
    "Irish Women fall short in ranking of average boob sizes around the world"

Or "Irish Women fall short in ranking of average vagina tightness, around the world"

Might as well say Irish men are a joke and lets laugh about it.

I have two young kids. A boy and a girl. My daughter will likely read sexist things as she grows up. But she will see people call it out as sexist. People will say "dont be a d**k head, you shouldnt say that". But my son will also read sexist things. The difference is people will joke about it instead.

We always hear that "social media hurt young girls in particular" and it makes them feel bad about their bodies. But what is the difference here? All I see is the "feminist" NGO mentality that is popular across the western world, tends to take the approach "men have had it their way for too long. Now its our time". My son is 5. He is not responsible for Weinstein "loving himself" in an elevator on front of people. My son and daughter should have equal rights and respect. "Leveling out" is not real to people who never had that perceived "Privilege".

I am all for not body shaming. I am also all for taking the absolute yellow water out of these things. But rubbish like this needs to be called out instead of taking cheap pops for clicks. But the truth is we will have Ciara Kelly on Newstalk spouting about how women are body shamed in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Only women getting hired, promoted or higher pay increases the last few years where I work.

At a guess, they'll make their determination based on those who they believe will be capable of meeting the required standard to do the job.
    But I guess that sensible suggestions won't go down well with the triggered masses here

By my logic, I can they absolutely could have flexibility for male primary school teachers, on a similar basis - that they're reasonably confident that the person will be able to meet the requirements of the job in time.

What if a male who passes a fitness test falls below the level required?

Yes, there are very capable female solders, and the ones I know certainly don't need the white knights on Boards the rescue them. I'd guess that most of them are confident that the majority of their colleagues aren't focused on their genitals, one way or other.

Am I Google now?

Yes, imagine if your daughter had to go through the trauma of seeing headlines like these?

https://her.ie/life/bigger-assets-our-average-breast-size-is-growing-22752

Honestly lads, if yiz have to scrape the bottom of the barrel so hard to find things to be offended about, yiz have little to be worrying about.

What kind of business and sector are you in?

Have you raised the issue with your trade union?

Have you considered changing employer?

''What if a male who passes a fitness test falls below the level required?''

At least they passed it in the first place. Besides they'll be fine as i'm sure the DF would be confident they'd get to the required standard. Or d you only think that when it's females?

Also the only one person here scraping the bottom of the barrel on any of these subjects Mr White Knight.

oh but what about their poor colleagues who'll be depending on the fatties to save their lives? Do you ever think about that tragedy? Or is that only when women are involved?

I don't know but you're the one suggesting people who have been certified as unfit for a job should still get it based on their gender. Are you not?

You mean headlines like this?

Difference is the headline about breastsize is actually talking about a discomfort issue. The headline about small penis' is just poking fun at men.

You are correct about female soldiers though. One of my mates is a prison officer. She is more suited to that job than any guy I know. But she is a typical woman. As in she isnt "butch or manly". She is just suited to the job.

I was once passed up for a promotion because I was told by my manager that she wanted to hire a female for the role. In the same company (a big coffee chain) they have nearly all female managers. In my current company we brag about having a 78% female employment. Of course if it was the other way around they would be slated.

PEOPLE shouldnt be discriminated against for roles. My son and daughter should have the same opportunities . But I know as a white male, my son is going to have to let other skip the queue as he grows up. All in the name of "levelling out".

Just on your friend who's a prison officer - I do think that if her level of strength and/or fitness is adequate for the job, then a man shouldn't be required to have a higher level of strength/fitness to do the same job. I'm talking in general terms here, obviously I have no idea how fit your friend is or the set requirements for a prison officer.

• Advertisement

It's funny how far you have to twist my words and twist the reality of what's going on so that you have something to complain about.

Oh my, the fragility of the middle-class white male is surely a thing to behold. 'Poking fun' 😂😂😂

Should we be supressing the results of medical research in case the lads feel that they've been slighted?

As previously explained, positive action isn't discrimination. That's a matter of law, not opinion.

Why didn't you take a WRC case when you were discriminated against in the promotion?

It's strange to hear all these stories of the lads who are being oppressed in these terrible female dominated employment situations. Funny how, in a time of full employment, with all kinds of employers begging and screaming to get qualified staff, the lads haven't been able to find an employer that better suits their values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You can try to talk to someone but if they remain so blatantly hypocritical and disingenuous in their views you just have to say enough is enough and ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭well24

I'm not sure what your problem is, the thread is about sexism - this is clearly a double standard - why shudnt women have to pass fitness like men, its that straightforward..

No one is complaining about oppression and all that lark, just pointing out a double standard..

Your only argument is positive action is not discrimination - OK, but it still does not change the double standard.. If fitness is a requirement for a role how is this positive action? Dont be so naive, not all laws are fair… the double standard (law) only came in to get more women in…

"As previously explained, positive action isn't discrimination. That's a matter of law, not opinion"

Andrew, just to clarify - my understanding is that "positive action" is often discrimination, It's just not illegal discrimination. I assume that's your meaning here too?

Tbh I think she would meet the male level of strength and fitness. Thats how its should be. There should be a required minimum of ability for any job and if you meet it, thats fine. Regardless of gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No

Every time I'm sick the woman fake coughs at me and say's man flu. As a man it's very hurtful to be constantly hit with this trope. We need to fight for a fair and equal society sexism needs to stop.

"The fragility of the middle class white male" - Yes I said "Poking fun" as I didnt want to be crued. But a story about how Irish men have small penis' is on par with a story about how Irish women have loose Vaginas. Would you tell a woman that they are being "fragile" if they displayed outrage at such a headline??

Positive action IS discrimination. Just because certain laws are in place to allow it, doesnt mean its not discrimination. If you loose out on a job to a weaker candidate due to your gender, that is the very definition of discrimination.

As for my own experience, I didnt go to the WRC because that would put me in the public domain and potentially hurt my chances at future employment. I weighed up my options and left for a better job instead. That doesnt mean that it was right what they did.

You seem to be all for men just moving on to better employers but I doubt you would say the same if a woman was treated like that. Maybe you should stop with the double standards and stop with thinking about gender. EVERYONE regardless of gender should have the same opportunity. If you dont think that you are wrong!

Just replaced a word there:

"EVERYONE regardless of gender should have the same opportunity. If you dont think that you are discriminating!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What about different fitness tests for the different sexes? if it is as simple as fitness is required for the job, then.why not have one level of fitness test?

• Advertisement

why not indeed? Good question

They should have a minimum level of fitness, and both sexes need to meet the requirement..

Advertisement