Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Train Rip-Off continues

Options
  • 05-03-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

I was booking a train Cork To Dublin and I'm told that outward train can't be booked and return is €43.99.

Unless train traffic has greatly increased in recent months I find it very hard to believe it is booked out and could the fare back be regarded as normal.

Am I just wasting my time if I don't book the train 7 days in advance?

You can drive this return for about €60.

Is this completely normal?

Slán,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hello,

I was booking a train Cork To Dublin and I'm told that outward train can't be booked and return is €43.99.

Unless train traffic has greatly increased in recent months I find it very hard to believe it is booked out and could the fare back be regarded as normal.

Online bookings close approx. 90 minutes before the departure. The discounted fares are available up till a couple of days before your trip, pretty much the same way they are on airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

I'm booking 6 days in advance. I'd hate to think that 43.99 is a discounted fare.

Rail is nothing like the complexity of air travel so it's nowhere near comparing like with like. I suppose my options are if I can't book 7 days in advance I can take the car but it's beyond strange that people would argue that these prices are fair.

I'm booking 6 days in advance. I'd hate to think that 43.99 is a discounted fare.

Rail is nothing like the complexity of air travel so it's nowhere near comparing like with like. I suppose my options are if I can't book 7 days in advance I can take the car but it's beyond strange that people would argue that these prices are fair.

I don't know what train you are booking but I've a screen up here and €32.99 is the highest fare showing up for 5/6 days ahead. Make sure you haven't selected first class and make sure you have the correct date selected as well and not today's date which would make it €43.99, the standard single fare online.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Possibly due to the rugby match if you are trying to book a train on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hello,

Is this completely normal?

Slán,
    David
    There are only a limited number of seats each way which can be booked and reserved. This number is dictated by the number of reserved carriages and this will be further reduced if a 22000 Dmu is used. Once the number is reached you can no longer book an outward seat but you are able to book the return journey but will not be guaranteed a seat on the outward trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Sorry it was €32.99 each way. I had todays date in. Nonetheless still a ripoff and I'll have to drive it so.

Also doubt it's rugby that has it high as same fare on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

32.99 is hardly a ripoff when you would be paying 60 for petrol, but each to their own, Try living in England and seeing how much a london to Newcastle ticket is and come back and compare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

If you book London - Manchester for this coming Saturday its £77.30 IE is still cheaper for the equivalent journey to Cork

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

As I posted previously:
    It seems that there are now peak exclusions that apply where the advertised online fare is not available however far booked in advance.

From the Irish Rail Facebook
    Poster: All fares to Cork on Friday afternoons between 3pm and 7pm are €32.99 no matter how far in advance they are booked???
    Reply: Some peak exclusions apply. It Eil chop and change with demand and events.

In that case i would strongly suggest considering GoBe and Aircoach which take 3 hours city center to city center non stop with fares from €9 on Aircoach and €12 on GoBE if booked ahead. If you walk up it'll be €15 single on Aircoach €22 return or €17 single €27 return on GoBE.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

davidlacey wrote: »
    32.99 is hardly a ripoff when you would be paying 60 for petrol, but each to their own, Try living in England and seeing how much a london to Newcastle ticket is and come back and compare!

I had a friend who flew from Newcastle UK to Dublin this weekend, booked just a week before. Cost €50 return and took just one hour!! Cheaper and faster then the train to Cork.

As Devnull pointed out, another much cheaper option is the bus, just €18 return if booked online with Aircoach, journey time just 3 hours.

Again we see that this new policy is bad news for Irish Rail. Another Corkonian friend of mine living in Dublin switched from Irish Rail to bus this weekend after they implemented this policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

Book early, pay more, or don't take the train - pretty simple I guess. Cork is pretty far, it doesn't seem particularly expensive to me if ~ €35 is the most you'll pay for the trip. Especially since cheaper options are available, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

bk wrote: »

I had a friend who flew from Newcastle UK to Dublin this weekend, booked just a week before. Cost €50 return and took just one hour!! Cheaper and faster then the train to Cork.

As Devnull pointed out, another much cheaper option is the bus, just €18 return if booked online with Aircoach, journey time just 3 hours.

Again we see that this new policy is bad news for Irish Rail. Another Corkonian friend of mine living in Dublin switched from Irish Rail to bus this weekend after they implemented this policy.

it may be cheap in advance but correct me if i am wrong but did some unfortunate not have to pay 320£ return on the day as seen on the show on bbc2 a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

If you book London - Manchester for this coming Saturday its £77.30 IE is still cheaper for the equivalent journey to Cork

It's much cheaper but also at least 50% slower than the British train. If I've done the maths right, the fastest Dublin to Cork trip averages 100kph while the London to Manchester trip averages 150kph.
    davidlacey wrote: »
    it may be cheap in advance but correct me if i am wrong but did some unfortunate not have to pay 320£ return on the day as seen on the show on bbc2 a few weeks ago

It's true right now! The most expensive return for London to Manchester departing this evening is £308. On the other hand, there are trains every 20 minutes and the price very quickly falls to £77 if you're willing to wait 1h20. The spike in the price seems to be down to discouraging walk up fares at rush hour leaving London which is probably quite sensible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Polar101 wrote: »
    Book early, pay more, or don't take the train - pretty simple I guess. Cork is pretty far, it doesn't seem particularly expensive to me if ~ €35 is the most you'll pay for the trip. Especially since cheaper options are available, too.

The most you will pay for a train fare to Cork is €62 single, €79.50 open return!!

Obviously these are walk up fares. BTW the walk up Aircoach return fare is €22

The cheapest fare to cork, if you book more then 7 days in advance is €43 return. Aircoach is €18 for the same.

Now lets make a realistic booking, say head to Cork this Friday and back Sunday. Booking online right now (Tuesday) is €69 return!! Again Aircoach is €18

I think Irish Rail have lost all sense, with this new 7 days advance booking, they will be losing a lot of customers to Aircoach/GoBE IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

The most you will pay for a train fare to Cork is €62 single, €79.50 open return!!

Yep, but that's the 'stupid people' supplement - should be even higher in my opinion, same with cash fares on buses.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yep, but that's the 'stupid people' supplement - should be even higher in my opinion, same with cash fares on buses.

Well I most be one of those "stupid" people because I've just decided now to head down to Cork this evening.

Difference is I'll only be paying €22 return when I stroll up to the Aircoach bus and pay the driver.

Not everyone can plan a week in advance when travelling around Ireland. At least now we have alternative much cheaper and more flexible options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

markpb wrote: »
    It's much cheaper but also at least 50% slower than the British train. If I've done the maths right, the fastest Dublin to Cork trip averages 100kph while the London to Manchester trip averages 150kph.
    Also electrified which does cost a few bob.

Well I most be one of those "stupid" people because I've just decided now to head down to Cork this evening.

On the bus now and writing this using the wifi. Bus almost full, so it seems many people agree with me.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip. Maybe you can have a nice hot cup of coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

still on bus bk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip. Maybe you can have a nice hot cup of coffee?
    You'd want to be hard up for coffee to pay irish rail the best part of €50 for a miserable Paper cup of cheap catering coffee. Maybe it's being served/waited on that's the attratcion?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You'd want to be hard up for coffee to pay irish rail the best part of €50 for a miserable Paper cup of cheap catering coffee. Maybe it's being served/waited on that's the attratcion?

The advance fare To Cork is under €40 not €50.

Irish Rail coffee isn't that bad and it's fair trade. There are many reasons why people like to take the train, being able to drink coffee is an advantage but it isn't the biggest advantage. The comfort and ability to get up, walk and do work in comfort is another.

We all have choices. What suits one person may not suit another. Some people prefer to drive long distances, for financial or personal reasons, some people prefer the long distance buses, some people prefer the train.

Luckily we have a free society where individuals should be free to make their own choices.

The advance fare To Cork is under €40 not €50.

It is €43 including the online booking fee and cc fee. Plus add another €3.20 for Luas to and from Hueston, so you will end up close to €50.
    Irish Rail coffee isn't that bad and it's fair trade. There are many reasons why people like to take the train, being able to drink coffee is an advantage but it isn't the biggest advantage. The comfort and ability to get up, walk and do work in comfort is another.

I bought a lovely coffee in the Starbucks just next to the Aircoach stop before I left, so yes, I did enjoy my coffee, cheaper and better then what you get on the train.

I also bought a sandwich in the Tesco just next to it. So far cheaper then buying on the train.

I agree that the train has an advantage in that you can get up and walk around.

But the bus also has it's advantages. The major one for me is you can sleep on it. Just after we left Dublin, the driver turned off the interior lights. With most lights off, the reclining seats and the very smooth and quiet ride, it is very easy to sleep on the bus :)

I was never able to sleep on the train. Lights on full blast at all times, seats don't recline, constant stupid loud announcements and a very bumpy and noisy ride (in comparison).
    We all have choices. What suits one person may not suit another. Some people prefer to drive long distances, for financial or personal reasons, some people prefer the long distance buses, some people prefer the train.

Luckily we have a free society where individuals should be free to make their own choices.

I agree completely choice is good and if it was the case of the train user paying the full cost of the train ticket, then I would have zero objection.

What I object to is that the train is very heavily subsidised. I'm paying for your preference to get up and walk around !!

Now I have no objection to my tax money going to subsidise things I don't use my self, as long as there is a logical social or economic reason to do so.

I don't see any social or economic reason to continue to heavily subsidise intercity rail, when bus services are just as fast, offer a more comprehensive service (timetable) and require no subsidy.

And no, being able to get up and walk around is not a justification. If you want to use the train, then you should be paying the full cost of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I love this fact that despite this thread being based on wrong information it still continues on.

Personally I far prefer the train to the bus so thanks for the money BK although I feel that I have more than earned it listening to the bitching and moaning of yourself and Foggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I have to agree the ticket price is just making rail so unattractive plus if you've ever been unlucky enough to have been held hostage for hours while a break down or signal fault is fixed its enough to put you off traveling by rail ever again considering the flexibility of the alternatives.

Don't get me wrong I'm a rail fan and choose rail over road whenever possible but I'm also a realist and the sums just don't add up.

Did the fares increase in the last month?

I bought a day return from Sallins to Heuston in February for 11.70 and today the same ticket is 14.60?

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I love this fact that despite this thread being based on wrong information it still continues on.

Personally I far prefer the train to the bus so thanks for the money BK although I feel that I have more than earned it listening to the bitching and moaning of yourself and Foggy.

Frankly, I'd gladly go on the train if it means I'd avoid sitting beside the likes of them on a long haul trip :D

The fares didnt increase. Double check with them in Heuston as to what the correct fare should be and why the different prices.

If you are going to Cork one way then why is the return fare on Luas mentioned? Why even mention it at all when it has nothing to do with the fare of Dublin to Cork

Them stupid load announcements stop you from missing your stop when you fall asleep.

foggy_lad wrote: »

What? The best part of €50 for a coffee Foggy? You sure now? is that a typo?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.raileasy.co.uk
    Sail & rail - prices for tomorrow.
    €59 will get you from Cork to Aberdeen (6 changes :pac:)

I'm not sure if you can actually pick up the tickets in Cork though.

Advertisement