Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just how doped up are soccer players? Irish rugby's doping past and present?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It's simplistic probably because it's true.

Either you have it as a pro footballer or not. All the 'roids in the world won't make you a better player, it might make you quicker but won't improve your technique on the ball which is what it's all about.

No coincidence that doping is mostly found athletic/endurance sports.

wrong just plain wrong, thats actually my full arguement, which is about as good as yours so

edit: Giruilla summed it up nicely just there!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dango

It's simplistic probably because it's true.

Either you have it as a pro footballer or not. All the 'roids in the world won't make you a better player, it might make you quicker but won't improve your technique on the ball which is what it's all about.

No coincidence that doping is mostly found athletic/endurance sports.

But PEDs will decrease recovery times allowing much higher levels of performance over longer periods of time. Your argument is pretty much completely invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Giruilla wrote: »
    Are you talking about 5 a side football? Or 11 a side football where players are required to continuously make 50 to 100 metre sprints over 90 minutes?

A professional footballer doesn't need steroids to play at the top level. Ask John Hartson.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't really care what drugs they're taking, to be honest.

A professional footballer doesn't need steroids to play at the top level. Ask John Hartson.

it has become clear you know next to **** all about what doping is, and thats being kind!

• Advertisement

dango wrote: »
    But PEDs will decrease recovery times allowing much higher levels of performance over longer periods of time. Your argument is pretty much completely invalid.

At most teams will play 2 games a week. Are you honestly telling me there's a need for them to dope to get through it? Every top club has sports scientists working with players, putting them on programmes. I find it hard to believe a professional player would take the risk of doping when it's not needed.
    I'm not saying everyone in the game is clean but comparing it to cycling is too much.

IM0 wrote: »
    it has become clear you know next to **** all about what doping is, and thats being kind!

I'll take that as a compliment.
    What are you juiced up on? Does it send you into fits of rage?

PLAY 2 games a week..

What about training and preparation for these games

I have been training natural in football,rugby and bodybuilding the last 8 years and one thing i have learnt is all that cardio it is next to impossible to even maintain muscle mass naturally and my genetics are somewhat decent aswell

all the protein and sleep in the world wouldn't help you recover naturally

It's their job to recover fron them. They wouldn't be working a job like us or playing rugby at the same time. They have access to world class facilities, physios, dietitians and sports scientists. That's got to make it easier.

If you're getting paid €30,000+ per week, you'd want to be as close to 100% every single time you go out on the pitch. I think you're underestimating how fatiguing it is playing at that level regularly and the intensity of fitness training between matches that is required for such output. So it is needed to compete with everyone else and nobody seems to be taking it too seriously so the risk factor doesn't seem so large for what is a significant pay off.

I'll take that as a compliment.
    What are you juiced up on? Does it send you into fits of rage?

orange juice
    this is an in joke im not expecting anyone to get here

• Advertisement

If you're getting paid €30,000+ per week, you'd want to be as close to 100% every single time you go out on the pitch. I think you're underestimating how fatiguing it is playing at that level regularly and the intensity of fitness training between matches that is required for such output. So it is needed to compete with everyone else and nobody seems to be taking it too seriously so the risk factor doesn't seem so large for what is a significant pay off.

A contract is usually between 3-5 yrs. So if caught doping then your contract would be terminated and your reputation ruined. It would be a huge risk to take.

IM0 wrote: »
    orange juice
    this is an in joke im not expecting anyone to get here

Has to be OJ Simpson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

A contract is usually between 3-5 yrs. So if caught doping then your contract would be terminated and your reputation ruined. It would be a huge risk to take.

What if it was your employers who were doping you?

A number of football players have been caught taking PEDs and all they have gotten is a slap on the wrist. No real disincentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Judging by their performance in the Euros and World Cup Qualifiers, not drugged up enough!

What if it was your employers who were doping you?

Like Lance? I don't see the comparison. It would be one almighty risk for a football club to take.
    A number of football players have been caught taking PEDs and all they have gotten is a slap on the wrist. No real disincentive.

I honestly can't remember any recent cases. Any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Rife according the Richards Sadler, was a decent enough docu by channel 4.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/last-nights-tv-the-truth-about-drugs-in-football-26771024.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Like Lance? I don't see the comparison.
    No not like Lance, like Real Sociedad.
    It would be one almighty risk for a football club to take.
    Why, wheres the risk for them if they know testing isn't being done for that drug?
    I honestly can't remember any recent cases. Any examples?
    Rio Ferdinand.

Less recent, Pep Guardiola, Edgar Davids, Diego Maradona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I think its obvious most if not all top level Rugby and soccer players are on PED's or blood doping. With the physical demands of playing 40-50 high level matches in a season, training daily and with the amount of money involved in these sports at the top level,on a diet of orange juice and fruitn fibre these lads would be all burning out from exhaustion half way through the season., but they never seem to.
    if you look back at old rugby and soccer matches from the 70's and 80's and compare the physical intensity and fitness of modern players, the difference has to be just more than 'superior training methods and professionalism'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

Rio Ferdinand.

Less recent, Pep Guardiola, Edgar Davids, Diego Maradona.

Kolo Toure, Paddy Kenny. What about Claudio Ranieri bringing in his own medical team at Chelsea when the club's staff were not keen on performing some of his requests of player treatment?

Lads, done be naive on this subject - its everywhere -

Advertisement