Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat exchanger problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

tunner wrote: »
    The pressure has always been low. I tried topping it up but nothing happened really. It's gravity fed so left refill valve open ages and not much happened. One or 2 rads are cold at the top and hot at the bottom. Even after I bleed them.

All these problems started when I had a bathroom shower leak and had to replace bathroom before Xmas.

It's not the pump & you have a semi-sealed system so nothing to do with water content/pressure.
    It is a typical fan bearing noise.
    Oh & The Gas Company is a service company in Dublin not Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tunner

How would one replace the fan?
    I was going to release so e air in the pump to see if that remedied the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

The only way to replace a fan is to get an RGI to do it. As soon as you take the cover off the boiler you're breaking the law if you're not an RGI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

As the fan is an internal part of the boiler replacing the fan or any other parts would have to be carried out by a Rgi

Robbie.G wrote: »
    As the fan is an internal part of the boiler replacing the fan or any other parts would have to be carried out by a Rgi

How much are we talking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You MUST get an RGI to do ANY works inside the boiler. It's a criminal offence to do otherwise. I understand economics is playing a factor but safety must come first. You may unknowingly disturb a critical safety feature of the boiler or leave the flue leaking POC's into the room causing carbon monoxide poisoning. You don't have the equipment to test the flue following works. An RGI does.
    It should cost about €100 plus the part so is a €100 worth the risk? You still have to buy the part anyhow.
    Plus if it is not the fan, he can diagnose the issue & take parts back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

it sounds like the circulating pump.........please confirm, what it was when repaired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

Could someone define a semi-sealed system? A system is either sealed or it is not,is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

oikster wrote: »
    Could someone define a semi-sealed system? A system is either sealed or it is not,is it not?

Yes a sealed system is a sealed system. A so called semi sealed system was a product of the boom years where plumbers put in a header tank with ballcock as a filler ( just in case of a small leak ) so they wouldn't get callbacks to the sites they were throwing together in a few days. I've even saw them using the large plumbing cistern as there take off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

As dtp79 says the system is fed off a header tank or the main cold water storage cistern the rest of the system is the very same as a sealed system as in it has an expansion vessell etc . The only difference is there is no filling loop , instead there is the header tank with a gate valve left open and a non return valve .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

Your clarity is much appreciated guys.So is it a case that these type of connections should be removed,especially ones into plumbing,or can the boilers not be run at higher pressures?

I think they should be removed and a filling loop fitted , any boiler can be run at 1.5 bar pressure , the semi sealed systems which are fed from the domestic storage tanks are lethal as you are only relying on the non return valve to prevent contamination of the water you wash yourself in and brush your teeth with , these non return valves can and do fail.

So should I remove this set up and feed it from the mains?

Ideally yes , but that is not causing your noise , a heating system performes better under preasure , one thing to be noted is it might show up leaks on weak joints or make small leaks be noticed as you will see preasure drops , but in my opinion this is a good thing , as any leaks should be known and not hidden by a semi sealed system .

Advertisement