Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat exchanger problem

Options
  • 03-03-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi
    I am having trouble with my gas boiler. i recently got a service because its making alot of noise when you start it up. The noise has got worse since the service. It's a very loud noise and lasts about 15 mins when the boiler starts thus waking the baby in the morning!!

Gas service guy said it sounds like the heat exchanger and they can be dear. The boiler is a potterton standard efficient 24 System boiler.

Can these be bought off eBay etc and could I replace it myself or does it involve someone disconnecting gas or water pipes?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

tunner wrote: »
    Hi
    I am having trouble with my gas boiler. i recently got a service because its making alot of noise when you start it up. The noise has got worse since the service. It's a very loud noise and lasts about 15 mins when the boiler starts thus waking the baby in the morning!!

Gas service guy said it sounds like the heat exchanger and they can be dear. The boiler is a potterton standard efficient 24 System boiler.

Can these be bought off eBay etc and could I replace it myself or does it involve someone disconnecting gas or water pipes?

Many thanks
    Under law only an rgi can replace it.Ring a few and ask for a price to supply and fit or you can buy it yourself and get an rgi to fit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

If the heat exchanger is blocked, then it is absolutely pointless changing it without doing a Powerflush to the system & eliminating the reason why the system is full of sludge in the first instance.
    I would do the Powerflush & corrective work first as this could then clear the heat exchanger & thus not need replacing. I have powerflushed those exchangers with considerable success in the past so you may not have to replace it.

Does the boiler sound like it is making pop corn?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tunner

shane0007 wrote: »
    If the heat exchanger is blocked, then it is absolutely pointless changing it without doing a Powerflush to the system & eliminating the reason why the system is full of sludge in the first instance.
    I would do the Powerflush & corrective work first as this could then clear the heat exchanger & thus not need replacing. I have powerflushed those exchangers with considerable success in the past so you may not have to replace it.

Does the boiler sound like it is making pop corn?

Making popcorn?!

It sounds like a very loud humming noise.

I was thinking of the power flush simply because there is a groupon offer at the min for €99

Making popcorn?!

I was thinking of the power flush simply because there is a groupon offer at the min for €99
    Save your money a proper power flush would take around 6hrs and there's nearly €100 in chemicals alone.if its a humming noise I doubt it's your heat exchanger more Likely the fan but its impossible to tell without seeing it

Making popcorn?!
    Usually restricted heat changers may a crackling sound that is similar to popcorn being made. A humming noise could be heat exchanger but might not be also. Could be fan bearings.
    For €99 you could not get a Powerflush. The chemicals alone will cost that! Then pay somebody a days labour and the rest of the overheads. Powerflush is usually about €450. If it is sludge you must also factor in the cost of the corrective works. Sludge is in the system for a reason.

• Advertisement

Usually restricted heat changers may a crackling sound that is similar to popcorn being made. A humming noise could be heat exchanger but might not be also. Could be fan bearings.

For €99 you could not get a Powerflush. The chemicals alone will cost that! Then pay somebody a days labour and the rest of the overheads. Powerflush is usually about €450. If it is sludge you must also factor in the cost of the corrective works. Sludge is in the system for a reason.

This is the one I am referring to. €99

http://www.mydealpage.ie/default/shortpage.php?rid=5&dealid=40078

That's not a power flush that's just running water through the heating system and out the other side.If you want to go with that work away but it will do nothing for your system they don't even mention inhibitor

Robbie.G wrote: »

That's not a power flush that's just running water through the heating system and out the other side.If you want to go with that work away but it will do nothing for your system they don't even mention inhibitor

I have nowhere near €450 to spend on a power flush. Tho whole point in me creating this thread about doing the work myself was because I've no money to get it done by anyone else.

Need the cheapest solution to the problem

I know you guys are well trained and have invested a lot of money in your profession but my profession has me financially to the wall unfortunately

I have nowhere near €450 to spend on a power flush. Tho whole point in me creating this thread about doing the work myself was because I've no money to get it done by anyone else.

Need the cheapest solution to the problem

I know you guys are well trained and have invested a lot of money in your profession but my profession has me financially to the wall unfortunately

Its not to get the cheapest but the most cost efficient.if you change the heat exchanger without sorting the problem that caused it its possible you might have to get a new one within a year.Going with the deal if a flush is a complete waste of money.We can only advise what's best but that costs money and in some cases a lot of money.But we also have to try and work to budget so if you want the cheapest option go with what I said originally.Best of luck

Robbie.G wrote: »

Its not to get the cheapest but the most cost efficient.if you change the heat exchanger without sorting the problem that caused it its possible you might have to get a new one within a year.Going with the deal if a flush is a complete waste of money.We can only advise what's best but that costs money and in some cases a lot of money.But we also have to try and work to budget so if you want the cheapest option go with what I said originally.Best of luck

How much are new boilers? Friend of mine said about €6-800?

• Advertisement

Boilers vary in price so much it depends on what you want and need.Some boilers are available from €600 up

Even if you got a new boiler for €800 the system still needs to be flushed. The boiler can also ONLY be changed by a Registered Gas Installer. I know times are hard but economics are no excuse for safety.
    As I said it may not be sludge, so I would
    call back the RGI who serviced it & ask him to test the fan bearings when cold. Ignition were sludge it would not disappear once the system got hot, it would get worse! If you are not happy with that RGI, get another or ask for a referral here for your area. Then both sludge & fan can be investigated.

Even if you got a new boiler for €800 the system still needs to be flushed. The boiler can also ONLY be changed by a Registered Gas Installer. I know times are hard but economics are no excuse for safety.
    As I said it may not be sludge, so I would
    call back the RGI who serviced it & ask him to test the fan bearings when cold. Ignition were sludge it would not disappear once the system got hot, it would get worse! If you are not happy with that RGI, get another or ask for a referral here for your area. Then both sludge & fan can be investigated.

I am based in Dublin 7 so if you can pm me a referral please. How much would it cost someone to take a look at the fan and sludge? Ballpark

P.s. I would never attempt to have anyone other than an rgi to install a boiler

Thanks for help this far

i tried to upload a 30 second clip of the noise recorded on my phone but boards.ie wont let me so if anyone feels generous and mails me a private message ill gladly mail the video for you to listen and give me your opinions

thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

i tried to upload a 30 second clip of the noise recorded on my phone but boards.ie wont let me so if anyone feels generous and mails me a private message ill gladly mail the video for you to listen and give me your opinions

thanks in advance
    Put your video on YouTube. Then put a link to it here

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Put your video on YouTube. Then put a link to it here

Ok, my friend uploaded the video for me. Here it is. Any ideas?

Thanks

http://youtu.be/O-bPMWyFNoI

Thanks

http://youtu.be/O-bPMWyFNoI

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Anyone?
    God sorry bout that!!
    To be honest I've no idea what that noise is. Maybe if I had the cover off I could narrow it down to a certain point. In regards blocked heat exchanger, how long does it take your boiler lights to from 30 to 70?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Hard to tell , could be fan if it stops making noise after 10 mins , you might want to top up your pressure too it seems to be at zero

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If your boiler has been running on low to zero pressure for any amount of time its most likely that your circulating pump has been damaged and is making the humming sound.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If your boiler has been running on low to zero pressure for any amount of time its most likely that your circulating pump has been damaged and is making the humming sound.

Is there any way for me to check ad see if its the pump?

Is there any way for me to check ad see if its the pump?

Is that not sorted yet?
    That is not the heat exchanger. Sounds more like the fan, but this can only be carried out by an RGI. It should easily be identified by an RGI but they would need to at the boiler to be sure. Plenty of good ones here if you request a PM.

Is that not sorted yet?
    That is not the heat exchanger. Sounds more like the fan, but this can only be carried out by an RGI. It should easily be identified by an RGI but they would need to at the boiler to be sure. Plenty of good ones here if you request a PM.

No not sorted. No money lads to be honest. I put some inhibitor i had into the system thinking it would help the problem but no change.

If someone could pm me with a price that'd be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Inhibitor wouldnt cure a noise , where are you based

Dublin 7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

Thanks

http://youtu.be/O-bPMWyFNoI[/QUOTE]

sorry just read this post. id nearly put money on it listning to the noise you provided/ that's a problem with your circulating pump and pressure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

gas company is best one to service it

.that's not your heat exchanger or your fan.
    That's pressure and the circulating pump, not a thing to do with the boiler, it will cut out within the next week. its not major. 150e will sort it. however if it don't cut out you might burn out the pump .if its not fixed soon.

gas company sell gas. try a heating eng

the sooner the better people realise

gas company = sell gas
    Plumbers= fit pipes
    mechanical services= fit heating systems
    service tech = service boilers

a milk man= delivers milk

now some tradesmen provide amalgamated services. so check their abilities out and you will only have to pay once.

• Advertisement

The pressure has always been low. I tried topping it up but nothing happened really. It's gravity fed so left refill valve open ages and not much happened. One or 2 rads are cold at the top and hot at the bottom. Even after I bleed them.

All these problems started when I had a bathroom shower leak and had to replace bathroom before Xmas.

Advertisement