Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the Continental Breakfast ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Cienciano wrote: »
    This is pretty much idea. With tea and toast

*drooling*

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Continental Breakfast is just a way for cheap hotels to save money on an actual decent breakfast.

Nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Nope: The sausages to rashers ratio is out of whack, (+)one rasher (-)one sausage please. The beans should be in their own pile to the side not smack in the middle with all sausages flung on top - what if you want a sausage sambo uncontaminated by the beans juice? No white pudding either. Then switch the hash brown up for some cubed fried potatoes & you're getting close.

Don't forget the orange juice starter as well - for creating that perfect explosive concoction of stomach contents. By the time you get off the bog after all that your hangover will be cured & you're ready to hit the bar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Jaaaaaaayyyyyyyyysus .... mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Ulster fry is usually 1 sausage, 1 rasher, 1 egg, 1 white and black pudding and a load of bread, fried, soda, brown, toast. Far too much bread and not enough meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

No white pudding either.

You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

stimpson wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong.

that's what i'm saying.. it was absent from the pic. Unless you think it doesn't belong in a full irish.

I like my white pudding almost spreadable so i can put it on the toast after the butter like a pate, before i start loading up the heavy duty fillers.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A real continental breakfast is a roll in bed with a little honey.

:o

A.K.A. the Jimmy Saville morning glory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

that's what i'm saying.. it was absent from the pic. Unless you think it doesn't belong in a full irish.

I like my white pudding almost spreadable so i can put it on the toast after the butter like a pate, before i start loading up the heavy duty fillers.

Apologies. Clonakilty white pudding is the single best part of a fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The core ingredients full Irish and the Full English are exactly the same. There are some regional variations, but even then you'll get different variants between greasy spoons on the same street. The fried breakfast is an English creation that was renamed over in Ireland because Irish restaurants and pubs wouldn't dare have an "English breakfast" on their menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I had a continental breakfast which just consisted of a fried egg with a runny yolk handed to me in an envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

crockholm wrote: »
    That sounds like something a skinny jeans man would say:D pile 'em in.
    Also,is there a lingustic barrier in the country whereby on one side of the fence they're called "rashers" and on the other side "bacon", im a rashers man myself ,as bacon is what you have with cabbage and a pint of milk
    I think chips get in the way of the meat and other fried stuff. And as far as I know, rashers is an irish thing. Everywhere else they call rashers bacon.
    Nope: The sausages to rashers ratio is out of whack, (+)one rasher (-)one sausage please. The beans should be in their own pile to the side not smack in the middle with all sausages flung on top - what if you want a sausage sambo uncontaminated by the beans juice? No white pudding either. Then switch the hash brown up for some cubed fried potatoes & you're getting close.

Don't forget the orange juice starter as well - for creating that perfect explosive concoction of stomach contents. By the time you get off the bog after all that your hangover will be cured & you're ready to hit the bar again.

That breakfast is from matt the rashers in kimmage. You actually get 3 sausages, but liver is included. I swaped the liver for a sausage. The sausages aren't massive, so it was a good ratio of sausage to rasher. And you get orange juice with it at the start. You can get the beans on the side if you ask, doesn't bother me like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The Ulster fry is usually 1 sausage, 1 rasher, 1 egg, 1 white and black pudding and a load of bread, fried, soda, brown, toast. Far too much bread and not enough meat.

No its not.

2 sausage, 2 bacon, 1 egg, 2 pudding, beans, half fried/buttered soda + potato bread.

Best is just 2 sausage, bacon and egg in a soda sandwich with brown sauce... its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's a place near me that does 2 rashers, 2 sausages, one hash brown, one black pud, one white pud, fried egg, mushrooms and tomato. 2 slices of bread toasted.

I hate mushrooms and tomato so I get an extra rasher and sausage.

It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The best bits of a continental and irish breakfast combined= Breakfast Roll, breakfast of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

The incontinental breakfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

That sounds like something a skinny jeans man would say:D pile 'em in.
    Also,is there a lingustic barrier in the country whereby on one side of the fence they're called "rashers" and on the other side "bacon", im a rashers man myself ,as bacon is what you have with cabbage and a pint of milk

AFAIK 'bacon' is the meat, while 'rasher' is the cut...

AFAIK 'bacon' is the meat, while 'rasher' is the cut...

so what is the correct usage for both words? You couldn't ask for a rasher of bacon? could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Can't beat a real continental breakfast of an espresso and a cigarette

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A croissant and cup of freshly brewed strong coffee on a sunny weekend morning around 8am on the balcony whilst reading the news, heaven.

would totally agree.

hot croissant, lovely coffee and some fruit - perfect breakfast. An Irish fry is okay for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    31 posts and no love for mushrooms on the thread, not even a mention

Shame on you all, a top breakfast requires mushrooms

I like mushrooms, but most breakfasts I've gotten they're bloody stone cold for some reasom.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

so what is the correct usage for both words? You couldn't ask for a rasher of bacon? could you?

A rasher of bacon is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

continental breakfast? pretty healthy i suppose

no enjoyment in eating one though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

ArthurG wrote: »
    I think the main difference between Irish and continental breakfasts is about 10 years off your life expectancy.

Indeed, after a rubbery croissant, a couple of slices of mystery meat and a stale Danish I'd loose the will to live too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

conorhal wrote: »
    Indeed, after a rubbery croissant, a couple of slices of mystery meat and a stale Danish I'd loose the will to live too!

Better than the Continental breakfast I was served in one particular hotel,it was a bowl of cornflakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Eggs Benedict > any other breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

whats the difference between and English Breakfast and an Irish one ?
    The English one's a b*stard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I did a fair bit of travelling in my last job, and it had to be continental breakfasts for me. You just feel too lethargic after a fry in the morning, especially 4 days on the go for a month or so at a time.

I don't mind frying up at home occasionally, but hate it these days in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't know where anyone gets the idea a croissant is a healthy breakfast. Its a cake.
    Its a treat and should be treated as such, as should a fry.

I would eat neither for breakfast eggs or porrige for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Magill wrote: »
    No its not.

2 sausage, 2 bacon, 1 egg, 2 pudding, beans, half fried/buttered soda + potato bread.

Best is just 2 sausage, bacon and egg in a soda sandwich with brown sauce... its amazing.

Then I was cheated in Warrenpoint and Kilkeel on numerous occasions. Bloody bread.

Advertisement