Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the Continental Breakfast ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

31 posts and no love for mushrooms on the thread, not even a mention

Shame on you all, a top breakfast requires mushrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Call it ulster, english, irish, but as long as it contains almost all of the following, egg, sausage, bacon, hash browns, fried potato, beans, white pudding, soda bread, potato bread, toast, tea, and OJ, then I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Green

The Soda bread has to be fried in the bacon fat, yum yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I was up North for a night out a while ago, next morning we decided to go to a wee café for a bit of brekfast, couple of the lads order the full english, waitress turns to me and i say 'can I have the half English, half Irish, please...'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've had it a few times. As tastey as it is, it leaves me feeling empty.

Nothing can beat bacon and eggs for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I had a slice of reheated apache pizza for breakfast. Always nicer in the morning.
    When i think of a continental breakfast I just think of crap B&Bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

had cold leftover pizza(chilled in the fridge overnight) for breakfast and coffee

lush

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

As someone else said the difference between irish and English breakfasts is something to do with beans. One has them the other doesn't...but can't remember which is which

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Continental breakfast getting a bad rep on this thread. I prefer it to a plate of grease. Cold meat, cheese, bread, croissant, yogurt, oj and tea. Yes please.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    31 posts and no love for mushrooms on the thread, not even a mention

Shame on you all, a top breakfast requires mushrooms

I love going for Full Irishes(?) with people that don't like mushrooms, as I usually end up with a few servings all to myself. Love 'em!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

The difference I've noticed between the Irish and English fry is that in England they automatically give you a big bottle of brown sauce. Take that muck away from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

continental people are generally in better shape than UK & Irl, or seem it anyway. I always feel well set up for a healthy day having a breakfast at a european hotel.

doesn't seem to be any difference between Irish & English generally, maybe the odd ingredient here & there, black pudding or something. To me they both mean put on as many of the following as you have available to you; sausages, rashers, fried eggs, beans, mushrooms, fried tomato, black pudding, white pudding, hash browns, with toast for mini sambos, farmhouse brown bread for posh people & all washed down with gallons of tea

you need to be always aware of your journey time to the nearest toilet after having full irish/english

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The main difference to me is that I can have a "continental" breakfast in the morning.
    I cannot face an English/Irish/whatever fry up befor lunchtime.

So I'll go for continental during the week, and have a fry up maybe once every other week on a Saturday or Sunday.

Aidric wrote: »
    Continental breakfast getting a bad rep on this thread. I prefer it to a plate of grease. Cold meat, cheese, bread, croissant, yogurt, oj and tea. Yes please.

no, no.. if you're gonna go all out continental you gotta sip a gourmet coffee to go with it. preferably a double espresso. When in Rome...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does anyone actually like the tomato in their fry? Or is it on hotel buffets just because they're cheap and easy...

Does anyone actually like the tomato in their fry? Or is it on hotel buffets just because they're cheap and easy...

ya, i love it. Makes the difference. One little piece on each bite. Like a healthy alternative to ketchup. Has to be heated enough to be proper soft though. The tomato & mushrooms are the difference to me. The hash brown pushes it off into greasytown territory though, just one step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Clareman wrote: »
    The Ulster fry is a thing of beauty, it has to have a soda farl in it, really not healthy but delicious.

A pub in Ennis used to do a Banner Breakfast, full Irish with loads of toast and chips along with a pint, wonderful on a Sunday morning.

Chips shouldn't be anywhere near a breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Cienciano wrote: »
    That sounds like something a skinny jeans man would say:D pile 'em in.
    Also,is there a lingustic barrier in the country whereby on one side of the fence they're called "rashers" and on the other side "bacon", im a rashers man myself ,as bacon is what you have with cabbage and a pint of milk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Any time Im abroad, a continental breakfast involves a bowl of those bland Aldi style cornflakes, a plate of various types of bread with cheeses to be followed by jams, then washed down with OJ and yogurt. Great way to start the day in a warm climate. Who could sit down to eat a fryup in Spain or Italy at 7am in 30c heat, I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

All you can eat buffet breakfasts works everywhere.

The best for me Nordic breakfast of an assortment of smoked fish. Slid down easy.

For cold mornings Irish/British/Ulster Fry. I don't mind the German/Dutch em and eggs. If I'm feeling Traditionally Continental Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Croissant, Pain au Chocolate rinsed through with black coffee.

Take a few extra yogurt pots for the road.

Haven't had much of the egg dishes from the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Go the whole hog and have it for dinner (with a full hog of sausages).

Hmmm, I'd say a continental breakfast (the closest I've ever come is a full tray of grapes in the morning) could be gorgues and filling, if done properly. Soft creamy cheese, thick fresh made croissants, and succulent grapes with a slight dash of sugar (drools)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

The traditional irish breakfast was never a fry up..thats just the irish copying the english lately..traditional irish breakfast was porridge and milk and maybe tea..fry ups are only a relatively new thing so the word traditional doesnt come into it

Kinzig wrote: »
    The traditional irish breakfast was never a fry up..thats just the irish copying the english lately..traditional irish breakfast was porridge and milk and maybe tea..fry ups are only a relatively new thing so the word traditional doesnt come into it
    I would disagree with you there, nobody is saying it was a staple pre or immediately post famine.From the 20th century onwards it would be a lot more common, for that ask somebody much older about "killing the pig",blood would be used for the pudding,the offal for sausages and the pigs bladder for a football.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

crockholm wrote: »
    I would disagree with you there, nobody is saying it was a staple pre or immediately post famine.From the 20th century onwards it would be a lot more common, for that ask somebody much older about "killing the pig",blood would be used for the pudding,the offal for sausages and the pigs bladder for a football.:)

well being born in the fifties in Ireland I never remember fry ups for breakfast, a fry up was a treat for my father after a weeks work on a saturday evening , how many people can honestly say that in the 20 s 30s 40s etc in Ireland it was traditional to rise to a full english breakfast..not many I can tell you as economically people couldnt afford eggs bacon black pudding etc every day..I stand to my claim here, fry ups are only relatively new in ireland for breakfast this last few decades but traditional no way..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Going to make myself poached eggs for lunch now, this thread has me craving tasty things.

The fry up has a social aspect to it too, everyone gets together for a big feed. It's a weekend tradition in a lot of homes.

yeah i don't think traditional has to mean it's ever been a daily thing. It probably relates back to the tradition of keeping a family pig knocking around the traditional Irish cottage. Then whenever the cold season comes or whatever time of year its due to be slain the idea is to use as much of it as possible in different products hence the puddings etc. Maybe they would have been the cheaper leftovers for the family too after selling on the more prime cuts??

Don't they say pork products kept better in colder climates too.. so that in the hot middle east it became a taboo, unkosher & hence not eaten at all.. in spain they tend to smoke/cure it & hang over the bar & cut thin strips.. & then the "traditional" way to to use that animal in the UK & Ire became to make various sausage products

I always think of it as something a farmer would have first thing when he's going out to battle on a cold wet mucky Irish day & probably won't be back in 'til tea time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've just read the entire thread and now I'm fkn starvin. :(

By the way, a full English Breakfast must contain bubble and squeak.

Its bits of carrots, cabbage peas and other leftovers from a roast dinner fried up with mash and its feckin lovely! Beware of pre-packed frozen and tinned imposters.

My idea of a continental breakfast is 3 or 4 espressos with a half a pack of Benson & Hedges.

Right, I'm off to the cafe for an all day breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is pretty much idea. With tea and toast

Kinzig wrote: »
    well being born in the fifties in Ireland I never remember fry ups for breakfast, a fry up was a treat for my father after a weeks work on a saturday evening , how many people can honestly say that in the 20 s 30s 40s etc in Ireland it was traditional to rise to a full english breakfast..not many I can tell you as economically people couldnt afford eggs bacon black pudding etc every day..I stand to my claim here, fry ups are only relatively new in ireland for breakfast this last few decades but traditional no way..
    Of course,it wasn't eaten every day,I hope i'm not giving the impression that it was, just that it was eaten when the pig was slaughtered and maybe one day a week, I doubt it would have been eaten daily in England until the 70s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A real continental breakfast is a roll in bed with a little honey.

:o

Advertisement