Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 x chicken fillets = €8, inch and a 1/4 thick striploin steak =€3.69 & more !

Options
  • 28-02-2013 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

The butchers wife in Naas sell ten chicken fillets for €8.50 (i got them for €8 today)
    Steaks, sirloin, striploin and fillets etc, all fairly thick (bout an inch and quarter/inch and half) for 3.50-€4.

All meat fresh, decent portions, chicken is free range etc.

I seen ribs, pork joints, mince, chops, lamb, pork belly, bacon joints etc etc etc all very reasonably priced, and will certainly give Tesco a kick in the rear!

Butchers wife in Naas, on the Dublin road, on the Dublin/ 'big ball' side of the town.

These guys are going to do seriously well (I hope).

I have no affiliation whatsoever with them btw, but when you see chicken fillets at 80c each, you gotta share it on bargain alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

are they irish fillets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

jap gt wrote: »
    are they irish fillets

Just checked label.

Slaughtered in Holland it seems.

I was certain they said everything was Irish tbh.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

€3.69 for a striploin steak is loss making, by a long way. I'd be very suspicious as well about chicken fillets from a butchers. People think that because it's in the butchers all must be well. You have to be very careful about chicken fillets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i work in a butchers, i would be very surprised if any fillets under 1.20 are irish, we sell fillets 1.50 a fillet or 5 for 5.99 all irish and traceable

cannot make out how they sell striploins so cheap, any price per kilo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP never said the steaks on offer were beef :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hey guys.

I dont mean to poo-poo your ideas but its the demand for un-naturally cheap food that caused the horse scandal.

Some years back, its was found that chicken fillets were being tampered with in Holland. They were low quality and small size and were being pumped up with crap.

I did a quick google and came up with this example, but I do know it has happened several times.

I personally dont believe this bargain alert is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just to fill you all in, on the topic of chicken fillets: my local butcher, in Dublin, is involved with a farmers group, and they have chicken fillets which they will be selling shortly.

You're looking at 24 fillets for €18, and they're nice sized, 100% Irish ones. The only thing is that, as they recommend, once they are opened, you must use them within three days. There's nothing stopping you getting them and freezing them. This is the only downside to the bargain in question.

I will be posting details about this soon, as I am not aware of anywhere selling proper, decent sized, Irish chicken fillets at this price. If there is enough demand I will try come to some sort of arrangement for Boards users if they want to proceed with buying them.

I'll keep you in the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just to fill you all in, on the topic of chicken fillets: my local butcher, in Dublin, is involved with a farmers group, and they have chicken fillets which they will be selling shortly.

You're looking at 24 fillets for €18, and they're nice sized, 100% Irish ones. The only thing is that, as they recommend, once they are opened, you must use them within three days. There's nothing stopping you getting them and freezing them. This is the only downside to the bargain in question.

I will be posting details about this soon, as I am not aware of anywhere selling proper, decent sized, Irish chicken fillets at this price. If there is enough demand I will try come to some sort of arrangement for Boards users if they want to proceed with buying them.

A bad time to be a chicken I guess !

Keep us informed Static ;)

Tasty, tasty murder.
    (And I am a former Veggie. FORMER.)

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Hey guys.

I dont mean to poo-poo your ideas but its the demand for un-naturally cheap food that caused the horse scandal.

Some years back, its was found that chicken fillets were being tampered with in Holland. They were low quality and small size and were being pumped up with crap.

I did a quick google and came up with this example, but I do know it has happened several times.

hmmm, I wonder is this still going on? My local eurospar sells chicken breasts from Holland (well I presume they are from there as it says "EU NL" followed by a number on the tag in front of the tray) for €1 each every Thursday, as well as Irish sourced ones which look identical for €1.25 each. As I go through a lot of chicken, I usually buy about 10 of the €1 ones as I'm not that bothered about where it's sourced from, chicken is chicken in the end of the day but if it turns out that there's a possibility that they are full of extra crap I may fork out the extra in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP never said the steaks on offer were beef :cool:

It is fully traceable though.....you can look up its form in the Racing Post.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Where is the Butchers ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

kn wrote: »
    It is fully traceable though.....you can look up its form in the Racing Post.......

Excellent:D

uch wrote: »
    Where is the Butchers ?
    In SW Dublin. I won't say the name publicly until I know more about quantities from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clarenman

10 x chicken fillets = €8, inch and a 1/4 thick striploin steak =€3.69 & more !

wil probably go tomorrow and put 5e e/w on them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Thunderlips

In SW Dublin. I won't say the name publicly until I know more about quantities from him.

any idea when they are goin on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

McLoughlin Butchers in Ballyfermot and the Mill Centre Clondalkin do 10 extra large Irish chicken fillets for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

You're looking at 24 fillets for €18, and they're nice sized, 100% Irish ones.

Do you happen to know how much would they be, in weight? The number of them is relatively unimportant, I normally use the weight to get an idea of the value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hey guys.

Your example is from 2003? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

daigo75 wrote: »
    Do you happen to know how much would they be, in weight? The number of them is relatively unimportant, I normally use the weight to get an idea of the value for money.

This is the crucial word here , often seen the deals for 10 Chicken filets 80-100g
    for tenner.
    Those days I get my Chicken fillets from Eastern European shops for 6.29 per kg.

My2cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Some years back, its was found that .......

K
    tk123 wrote: »
    Your example is from 2003? ;)

2003 is some years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superscouseviewpost.gif

K
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tk123viewpost.gif
    Your example is from 2003? wink.png
    K
    2003 is some years ago

(The points being.... ? )

And so is this - Horsemeat Scandal 1948

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history." Friedrich Hegel
    "Honesty pays, but it don't seem to pay enough to suit some people." Frank McKinney "Kin" Hubbard
    "It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it." A. A. Hodge
    "Facts don't cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
    "The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayna
    and finally
    "The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history." Friedrich Hegel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

wil wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superscouseviewpost.gif

K
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tk123viewpost.gif
    Your example is from 2003? wink.png

(The points being.... ? )

And so is this - Horsemeat Scandal 1948

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history." Friedrich Hegel
    "Honesty pays, but it don't seem to pay enough to suit some people." Frank McKinney "Kin" Hubbard
    "It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it." A. A. Hodge
    "Facts don't cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
    "The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayna
    and finally
    "The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history." Friedrich Hegel :rolleyes:

Step away from the keyboard. Slowly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

daRobot wrote: »
    Step away from the keyboard. Slowly...
    Miaow :confused:
    cat-nap-computer-crash-pussy-kitten-sleep-lg-keyboard-funny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭mckildare

Did this chicken offer ever take off? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Kevin McManamon (Dublin GAA) delivers meat to your door.

Orders are in bulk as he is wholesale. I got 50 chicken fillets (180g - 200g) from him for €55.

http://www.freshfoodsdirect.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭mckildare

I wish my freezer was bigger! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

SamHall wrote: »
    Just checked label.

At that price it sounds like 'Plofkip' which the majority of big Dutch Supermarkets don't sell anymore and will completely stop selling it in 2015.

Plof (Burst) Kip (Chicken)

plof-en-ekokip-home.original.png

Basically they are pumped full of hormones and whatever sustenance is cheapest to make them grow artificially fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

SamHall wrote: »
    Just checked label.

There are a lot of butchers out there passing off Dutch/Thai/other as Irish fillets.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Branigans in rosemount industraial estate blancharddtown is the best in my opinion, always thought the prices were really good (don't have anything to hand right now) and always give good cooking advice.

I buy my chicken fillets in bulk with them and freeze them, about 30, works out with more chicken for less money, so would recommend any day.

Will look at prices properly later and see if it really is a great deal i am getting

Advertisement