Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA and Micro-Transactions

Options
  • 27-02-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

I read this with interest on Eurogamer over lunch:
    EA is building micro-transactions into all of its PC and console games, the company has announced.

The decision comes despite the recent controversy surrounding micro-transactions in Dead Space 3 - the first game in the EA-published series to be impacted by the payment scheme.

"The next and much bigger piece [of the business] is microtransactions within games," chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said, speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference (transcribed by Seeking Alpha).

"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be.

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

The last line was highlighted by me for emphasis. Really EA? Are we? If the game was €20, then sure. But when games are full price and you're charging for bloody crafting materials in a game (and you engineer a very slight shortage of those materials in the game itself), then thats a load of bollocks and a crappy way to treat your loyal customers.

Out of the "consumers" here who bought/rented Dead Space 3, how many of you "enjoyed and embraced" micro-transactions? The poll is anonymous, so please be honest.

Dead Space 3 Micro-Transactions 73 votes

Yes I got Dead Space 3, and yes I used Micro-Transactions
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I got Dead Space 3, but never used Micro-Transactions
    0% 0 votes
    I don't have Dead Space 3, Micro-Transactions were a factor.
    23% 17 votes
    I don't have Dead Space 3, no interest in the game.
    76% 56 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Haven't bought it, don't intend to. Microtransactions are a large factor in that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sarky wrote: »
    Haven't bought it, don't intend to. Microtransactions are a large factor in that decision.

Good idea, I tweaked the poll slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

microtransactions in F2P games is understandable. DLC is understandable. Expansions, and/or major events in mmo's. But i cba paying full whack for a single player game only to have it f*cked up by microtransactions for items/level and gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No interest in it but i did hear about the micro transactions and all thoughts of even renting the game went out of my head.
    However i was lead to believe that the micro transactions werent neccessary to finishing the game and were more of a boost or time save than anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Have it but not used the microtransactions.
    I'm pretty much opposed to the idea and couldn't even tell you what they are/do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

DLC is getting out of hand. Simple as.

I didn't get dead space 3 because I don't like the way they have gone with the series. Micro transactions don't appeal to me but they weren't the reason I didn't buy that game.
    However this kind of thing could really annoy me in battlefield. Buying your way through the ranks, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I havent bought Dead space 3, but not because of the micro transactions ( i am not a fan of those at all too ). I did not bough it, because it was not a Dead Space game, but some sort of Residant evil 5 Action bullshiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got DS3 and not paid any money for DLC. Have bought 2 of the scrap packs using the in-game currency your scavenger bots find, managed to play through the game one and a half times before I realised what the Ration Seals did.

DLC doesnt break the game, can be finished just fine without dropping a cent. Its just skin packs and boosts to make your scavenger bots work a bit faster, not vital to finishing or give you a massive advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mr E wrote: »
    The last line was highlighted by me for emphasis. Really EA? Are we?
    "Consumers " are referring to, I assume, the large number of people who did take advantage of them, not, I also assume, the vocal minority who are in vehement opposition.
    If the game was €20, then sure. But when games are full price and you're charging for bloody crafting materials in a game (and you engineer a very slight shortage of those materials in the game itself), then thats a load of bollocks and a crappy way to treat your loyal customers.
    It's worth pointing out nearly every review out there said this wasn't the case.
    Out of the "consumers" here who bought/rented Dead Space 3, how many of you "enjoyed and embraced" micro-transactions? The poll is anonymous, so please be honest.
    Relevant.

As for the poll, I'm in the same boat as ShadowHearth. I wanted a horror game, they gave us what appears to be something closer to an action-orientated title without any kind of atmosphere, so I didn't buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

gizmo wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out nearly every review out there said this wasn't the case.

I thought I read it a few times around the review window. I must see if I can find it again.

I thought I read it a few times around the review window. I must see if I can find it again.
    There was most certainly people worrying about it, I know I was, but I don't think it did in the end. From the EG article and review itself...
    "I managed to complete the game without spending any extra and never felt like I'd been held back, but by the same token there were plenty of moments where I fell just short of what was needed. I scraped through, but faced with an uncertain journey to the next workbench, it's easy to see how the temptation would be hard to resist, especially when certain resources are conspicuously less common than others."

The above scenario would most likely occur (and indeed has to me in many similar occasions across many different games) with or without such micro-transactions in place. However, regardless of whether they're available, there's not a chance in hell I'd use them personally.

For what it's worth, if it turned out to be categorically true then I'd happily join in the outrage. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Dead space managed to catch up to whats wrong with resident evil with3 titles.

Co op takes the fear away from the player.

While dead space 2 was a good game it had no horror and just gave you infinite ammo at your disposal.

I knew dead space 3 was not going to be the same as the first one but i was gonna to pick it up when a price dropped.

When i then heard microtransactions was involved i said **** it no purchase.

Sure prob the transactions wouldnt take away from the overall game but i refuse to support such a game when it was full price to begin with.

Online passes ? , fine have that if you want but transactions... Out the door with you , you greedy bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    "Consumers " are referring to, I assume, the large number of people who did take advantage of them, not, I also assume, the vocal minority who are in vehement opposition.

Exactly.

The entire point of a for profit company (as opposes to a non-profit which may have different goals) is to make money and then make even more and if there's a market for this then great for them.

Do you know what you call this calling in the business world?

duhwinningu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

This is essentially what cheats used to be though. Except now you have to pay for them. Doesn't using micro transactions to buy extra stuff make completing the game as much of an achievement as by cheating? Or does the fact that it's built into the game make it ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Not a fan of the direction Dead Spacehas taken. I loved the first game, like the second one, but unfortunately this looks closer to Gears Of War than it does Dead Space, so I wouldn't be buying it regardless. However, I really don't support this micro-transaction crap. Hell, I don't even support DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I don't have Dead Space 3, I will be picking it up at some point in the near future.
    Microtransactions don't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I plan on picking it up,but just because I played the first 2 and decided to finish the trilogy.
    Micro transactions are of no interest to me. I don't even buy DLC unless it expands the single player game with extra levels like Harley Quinn's Revenge for Arkham City.

My understanding of this would be like playing 1 and 2 and finding the same number of nodes as normal, but then having the option to buy more nodes whenever you want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't like it. There's a lot of opposition against it regarding games on phones, so unsure how they'd consider it a good thing on PCs/Consoles. You'd have to consider how this is going to expand into other games as well. It's like a mini-DLC, and I don't agree with the idea of DLC. It hasn't put me off purchasing a game yet though. I don't feel like I'm actually buying a finished product when they do this, so I tend to wait till they go dead cheap and still don't get the DLCs, because the price on'em doesn't adjust as the price of an old game is expected to. Which is another thing I can't stand about'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

There's a lot of opposition against it regarding games on phones, so unsure how they'd consider it a good thing on PCs/Consoles.

There is a vocal minority shouting about them, don't confuse that noise with actual opposition. If there was actual opposition people wouldn't be making $Texas from microtransactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

What a mental quote

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Would be curious to how many actually used it; I know in PS2 (F2P) they posted a while back that about 10% of their customer base had used their micro transactions (you can unlock weapons and skins; all unlocks but skins are available through normal game play as well taking from 1h to ~20h of gameplay depending on style).

There is a vocal minority shouting about them, don't confuse that noise with actual opposition. If there was actual opposition people wouldn't be making $Texas from microtransactions.

Yeah i dont think there is that much opposition at all against them on mobile platforms.
    Of course theres the core gamers railing against them but yeah its a very vocal minority

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah i dont think there is that much opposition at all against them on mobile platforms.
    Of course theres the core gamers railing against them but yeah its a very vocal minority

Apple have to payout after getting sued for them and not clearly presenting the costs and some kids spending a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I don't have DS3, and microtransactions and all the Day 1 DLC was a factor.

I am big DS fan I must admit, but I don't like what EA did.

Plus, I got stung with DS2, preordered it, and then it was 15 quid cheaper a week after launch. Burn!

Will pick up DS3 when its price drops hopefully, definitely not before, and definitely won't make use of micro transactions.

Varik wrote: »
    Apple have to payout after getting sued for them and not clearly presenting the costs and some kids spending a load.

1 case, theres how many iphones out there with people spending money on microtansactions and not giving a ****?
    Im not saying i agree with them but your deluding yourself if you think everyone who owns a phone and plays mobile games thinks the same as you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read on Kotaku that EA have a mobile game Real Racing 3 that is free but uses microtransactions. One of these is to buy the Koeningssiignggn for 800 gold where 1000 gold costs 99 dollars. Crazy antics out of EA.

Crap to think a dev will make a game and then an exec will come along and say take out this, this and that and charge it through microtransactions.

Talks as well EA are inking some partnership deal with Microsoft and will be announced at the xbox event, most likely exclusive content, staggered release dates, fancy DLC, etc. Must be costing huge money so they need to squeeze every penny out of consumers to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I read on Kotaku that EA have a mobile game Real Racing 3 that is free but uses microtransactions. One of these is to buy the Koeningssiignggn for 800 gold where 1000 gold costs 99 dollars. Crazy antics out of EA.

Crap to think a dev will make a game and then an exec will come along and say take out this, this and that and charge it through microtransactions.

And yet....EA are still novices compared to the big dog of over charging gamers for useless crap in the home game market.
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I don't have DS3, and microtransactions and all the Day 1 DLC was a factor.

I am big DS fan I must admit, but I don't like what EA did.

How can you be a fan of Dead Space 1, it was s**t by the definitions everyone is lambasting DS3 for in this thread? It came with around 15 pieces of Day 1 DLC in the form of weapons and armour.......but of course it would be silly for you to get so worked up about a game you liked having DLC, wouldnt it :rolleyes:

Aspects of F2P like that certainly put a bad taste in the mouth (to put it mildly) but equally, seeing people balk at more "expensive" games on mobiles simply because they're used to paying so little for them and/or because they're on a mobile platform is nearly equally frustrating. I'd wager if publishers could get away with charging closer to $10 for games with production levels similar to the likes of Real Racing 3 and not see massive drops in the userbase then we'd see less of the above nonsense.
    Talks as well EA are inking some partnership deal with Microsoft and will be announced at the xbox event, most likely exclusive content, staggered release dates, fancy DLC, etc. Must be costing huge money so they need to squeeze every penny out of consumers to pay for it.
    Well obviously, as with the above instance, development costs are still rising, sales of games outside of a small number of incredibly popular (but not necessarily quality games) are fairly stagnant and the retail prices of games haven't increased. With that in mind it's absolutely no surprise that publishers are being forced to find alternate revenue streams for their titles. I'm not saying it doesn't suck, especially when it can be detrimental to games we love but I've yet to see any kind of positive action being taken by the general gaming populace to counter it.

Of particular relevance was the recent Indiegogo campaign by Lab Zero Games to add another character to their title Skullgirls. The campaign asked for $150,000 to cover development costs and they even went so far as to give an exact breakdown of where the money was going. The inital response to this was, well let's just say overwhelming negative however fans of the game have gotten behind them and they smashed their goal in a pretty short amount of time. It again ties into an apparent misunderstanding as to how much this kind of content actually takes to produce and how utterly insane it is when people start complaining about the price of games and additional content these days.

It Will Blow Your Mind To See How Much It Costs To Add ONE New Character To A Fighting Gam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    How can you be a fan of Dead Space 1, it was s**t by the definitions everyone is lambasting DS3 for in this thread? It came with around 15 pieces of Day 1 DLC in the form of weapons and armour.......but of course it would be silly for you to get so worked up about a game you liked having DLC, wouldnt it :rolleyes:

I am a fan cause I liked it, and I didn't even know it had a tonne of Day 1 DLC, none of which I purchased. Roll those eyes all you like.

Advertisement