Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline service workers - are they all that ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I don't think the OP got the discussion he was looking for.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where To wrote: »
    I don't think the OP got the discussion he was looking for.:pac:

Probably not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Madam_X wrote: »
    Unless the person wants to work up the ranks/make targets for more seniority/money/bonuses.

Nope that would be the desire to achieve, to get recognition, to take on responsibility, the opportunity to advance and the work itself and as a motivator.

At first you might say, more money this is great, but when the reality of the job sets in what motivates then?

But not thinking much about/using logic in relation to. You're also avoiding a lot of points/questions.

How the **** can a manager who works their ass off (even if it's just for the money) be a waster...?

You know it's not possible for every job to be liked.
    If they only do it for the money then they don't care about the job. It's that simple for me. Black and white.

Of course they do, but a manager whose prime motivation is money is a 100 times bigger waster in my eyes.

Na, it is something I actually feel very strongly about.

To be fair I'd be of the same opinion.

Money shouldn't be the main motivator in what you work at, rather it should be whether or not you enjoy doing what takes up 8 hours plus of your day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Boombastic wrote: »
    Nope that would be the desire to achieve, to get recognition, to take on responsibility, the opportunity to advance and the work itself and as a motivator.
    ... And money.

I have no intention of career-climbing myself, but Jesus... thank fook I'm not so obnoxiously prejudiced towards those who do.
    If they only do it for the money then they don't care about the job. It's that simple for me. Black and white.
    Why wouldn't you be bothered putting a bit of thought into it and bearing in mind people are different? Is it more enjoyable to be really prejudiced?

... And money.

I have no intention of career-climbing myself, but Jesus... thank fook I'm not so obnoxiously prejudiced towards those who do.
    I have absolutely no problem with anyone who aspires to be the best they can be.

Career climbing is something different entirely.

One is helping everyone off a sinking ship, the other is using them as a human bridge to get off yourself.

... And money.

Why wouldn't you be bothered putting a bit of thought into it and bearing in mind people are different? Is it more enjoyable to be really prejudiced?

Some people see things in purely black and white terms, other people see things in varying shades of gray

... And money.

Why wouldn't you be bothered putting a bit of thought into it and bear in mind people are different? Is it more enjoyable to be really prejudiced?

You should put a bit of thought in to in, in fact try googling it. You might even find out it is a widely accepted business theory, backed up with research that money alone is not a motivator :rolleyes:

P_1 wrote: »
    Some people see things in purely black and white terms, other people see things in varying shades of gray
    Well thinking purely in black and white and not considering all the variables is... by its very nature... wrong. Fallacies generate out of it. People have differing reasons for climbing the ranks for money.
    it is a widely accepted business theory, backed up with research that money alone is not a motivator :rolleyes:
    So you're agreeing with me - money is a motivating factor.

Can't see where I said it's the only one.

• Advertisement

Well thinking purely in black and white and not considering all the variables is... by its very nature... wrong. Fallacies generate out of it.

But are you not being a tad guilty of black/white thinking with that very argument? :pac:

Fallacies develop when you cloud your black and white to get your shades of grey, black and white stay black and white, they don't change.

Well thinking purely in black and white and not considering all the variables is... by its very nature... wrong. Fallacies generate out of it.

So you're agreeing with me - money is a motivating factor.

Can't see where I said it's the only one.

Backtracking now are you?? It's short term motivating factor, not a long term one as I already stated and your reply was :
    Unless the person wants to work up the ranks/make targets for more seniority/money/bonuses.

If you do like your job, you do it regardless of money.
    Try saying that to people who have children to raise. I know I'm coming down hard on you but you are being extremely unreasonable.
    P_1 wrote: »
    But are you not being a tad guilty of black/white thinking with that very argument? :pac:
    But saying "Anyone who just works for money doesn't care about their job" IS wrong, unless the person saying it knows every person ever who just works for money.

Shur if "black and white" was sufficient, people could say anything about anything.
    Backtracking now are you?? It's short term motivating factor, not a long term one as I already stated and your reply was :
    There is backtracking all right on this thread, but not from me. Money can be a long-term motivating factor, but that doesn't mean it's the only one.

But saying "Anyone who just works for money doesn't care about their job" IS wrong, unless the person saying it knows every person ever who just works for money.

There is backtracking all right on this thread, but not from me. Money can be a long-term motivating factor, but that doesn't mean it's the only one.
    I don't even need to know one single person that works only for the money for me to think that they don't care, it's what I believe.

Anyhoo, I'm off to a happy thread before I burst a blood vessel.

Shur if "black and white" was sufficient, people could say anything about anything.

Fair point, a black/white counterargument to a black/white argument if you may.

I can see both sides to the argument to be fair.

Somebody who's motivation to do a job is their enjoyment of the job may well work out as a better employee, then again somebody who is motivated 100% by the pay check may also work out as a better employee.

I guess it all depends on what the job is.

The only people for whom such a judgement is founded are those who have a bad attitude to their job and don't bother making an effort. Grossly unfair to be applying it to unknown people even when they work hard.
    I don't even need to know one single person that works only for the money for me to think that they don't care, it's what I believe.
    But why believe something that could very well be wrong? :confused:
    Anyhoo, I'm off to a happy thread before I burst a blood vessel.
    Can't see what's causing you such annoyance, other than your (not reasonable, very provocative) view being challenged.

The only people for whom such a judgement is founded are those who have a bad attitude to their job and don't bother making an effort. Grossly unfair to be applying it to unknown people even when they work hard.

Yeah, different things motivate different people, seems a tad unfair to bias your thinking against a certain set of people depending on what motivates them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What is going on in this thread? People who work solely for the money are wasters? I've read some tripe on here but I think that this is the most insulting to me personally yet. My father like loads of his generation left for England to make money to send home no other reason, worked away from his friends and family. The man had a wall collapse on him and spent a month in hospital completely alone. Did it for the money and went back to work after and you're saying people like that aren't committed? Go way to fcuk.

People who strike over a few quid and leave patients to die and others in life threatening situations

Are they motivated by money or because they care about their job?

It would seem, they were motivated to enter the profession on the basis of money. So in that situation money can be a motivator. But when the sh1t hits the fan and the level money decreases or stays the same, they don't care about their job. Have the levels of pay attracted people who don't care?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dr. Quinn medicine woman wasn't motivated by money and she wouldn't have went on with this type of crap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Almaviva wrote: »
    Frontline service workers.
    Do they really think they are distinct for the rest of the working population ?
    Or are they just following a clever cooperative branding campaign by their union leaders ?

Not a big fan of the term. It's pretty much judging the worth of a person's job by the visibility of their job. Just because you're not on the "frontline" doesn't mean your job isn't equally as important. I guess most people draw the distinction because they're afraid of a situation of having to look someone in the eye after advocating for their pay to be cut when it's easier to advocate pay cuts for those working behind the scenes.

mackg wrote: »
    What is going on in this thread? People who work solely for the money are wasters? I've read some tripe on here but I think that this is the most insulting to me personally yet. My father like loads of his generation left for England to make money to send home no other reason, worked away from his friends and family. The man had a wall collapse on him and spent a month in hospital completely alone. Did it for the money and went back to work after and you're saying people like that aren't committed? Go way to fcuk.
    My father did the same and and to be honest I've probably picked up my attitude from him. My great Grandad on my mother's side died on the Hoover Dam, thousands of miles from home, it was three months before his family found out, they've always had the same attitude to work as me, 'if your heart's not in it keep your feet out of it' my Granny used to say.

My father did the same and and to be honest I've probably picked up my attitude from him. My great Grandad on my mother's side died on the Hoover Dam, thousands of miles from home, it was three months before his family found out, they've always had the same attitude to work as me, 'if your heart's not in it keep your feet out of it' my Granny used to say.

I agree with the sentiment but in practice it is probably a bit impractical these days.
    Bills need to be paid and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Stark wrote: »
    Not a big fan of the term. It's pretty much judging the worth of a person's job by the visibility of their job. Just because you're not on the "frontline" doesn't mean your job isn't equally as important. I guess most people draw the distinction because they're afraid of a situation of having to look someone in the eye after advocating for their pay to be cut when it's easier to advocate pay cuts for those working behind the scenes.

If someone is overpaid, then they are overpaid, no matter what their job is whether it is so-called frontline or not. For years the PS in Ireland has been overpaid, what the economic crisis did is point out the bleedin obvious. It also meant that the money to overpay the PS was no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Yeah, maybe I'm a silly old fool, but I'm a stubborn one too and nothing is ever going to change my opinion that anyone doing a job when they don't care about it is a waste.

First part of statement correct, last part is laughable.

Contender for the stupidest thing I've read on Boards yet! Stopped reading thread on the back of it lol

Liamalone wrote: »

First part of statement correct, last part is laughable.

Contender for the stupidest thing I've read on Boards yet! Stopped reading thread on the back of it lol
    It's just an opinion, don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the rest of the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What's your point? There are more reasons for your heart to be in something then enjoying what you do. That comes across as a somewhat naive way to look at things. What about putting the maximum effort into anything you do purely because you take pride in anything you put your name to and you have to pay the bills. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

mackg wrote: »

What's your point? There are more reasons for your heart to be in something then enjoying what you do. That comes across as a somewhat naive way to look at things. What about putting the maximum effort into anything you do purely because you take pride in anything you put your name to and you have to pay the bills. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If you don't like your job, why do it?

Yeah, sure ye can always make a tax-free living being one of the 10,000 too many taxis on our streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Someone who does the job because the actually like doing it, wouldn't bother me if they were a millionaire or a pauper.

It's all about attitude.:)

I'm sure everyone who stacks shelves or hands people burgers wakes up every day thinking how awesome their lives are, some people just work for the money or to fund their education or for whatever reason, yes there are crap jobs that people would prefer to not be doing but have to if they need the cash, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. You can just do a job for the money and still do it well, I do.

Advertisement