Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline service workers - are they all that ?

Options
  • 27-02-2013 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Frontline service workers.
    Do they really think they are distinct for the rest of the working population ?
    Or are they just following a clever cooperative branding campaign by their union leaders ?

Which ? 66 votes

Frontline worker specialness is a spin by their unions
    0% 0 votes
    Frontline workers are genuinely special and deserving of special treatment
    100% 66 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pat Kenny reference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

They are being used by the unions to garner sympathy for the entire PS. Not our fault if they forked out loads of money to buy over priced houses and used 'overtime' as a factor in core pay. Core pay is core pay, that’s your salary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I would spit at a fireman if he was cutting me out of my car at an RTA, then hurl abuse at the paramedic / nurse that was trying to save my life.

Bunch of PS wasters! :rolleyes:

Doin' nothin' but drink tea and gettin an allowance for it. They should be on the scratcher for 10 years like me, they don't contribute to society at all, they have the country in bits the greedy feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

just gonna grab a beer and popcorn and await the ruptions!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They're a bunch of plottin commies trying to bring down the foundations of the state that ought to be taken out and shot. That reactionary enough for ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Should they be well paid? Yes they should.

Should money be a motivating force for them to do the job in the first place? Fcuk no

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

They do jobs most people would not be emotionally able for. Nurses, Docs, Therapists, Guards, Firefighters- these people we take for granted, but what if they weren't there? They have serious responsibility every day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This will end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Ah I see you brought the Pitchforks , OP.

Someone get a fire going for the torches, I'll get the Tar & Feathers.

Nothin' bates a good ol' lynchin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

I would spit at a fireman if he was cutting me out of my car at an RTA, then hurl abuse at the paramedic / nurse that was trying to save my life.

Doin' nothin' but drink tea and gettin an allowance for it. They should be on the scratcher for 10 years like me, they don't contribute to society at all, they have the country in bits the greedy feckers!
    Yeah, the "essential" feckers. I bet if they were all gone, we wouldn't miss them for 5 minutes. Any more than 5 minutes might be pushing it, but 5 minutes, I'm good with that. Wasters. Sure we have bankers to be paying, and they're "systemic". Beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Where To wrote: »

Should money be a motivating force for them to do the job in the first place? Fcuk no

Should money be a motivating force for anybody to do a job in the first place? Probably too deep and philosophical a question to be asking in AH but sure I may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i am self employed trying to keep a business going in an economic depression

this is the real frontline

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tea? Those tea drinking basterds, we should go to Dublin Bay and dump all the teabags we have... all the milk too for good measure.

If my heart stops, forgive me if you're not the first one I call. Assuming I can use a phone with a stopped heart. Which could be tricky. Unless it's an iPhone with "call someone if I'm dead" app loaded..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

For fcuk sake, MONEY IS THE MOTIVATING FORCE for doing any job. If you aren't getting paid enough, they why bother your ar5e doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well maybe for you it is, but no. No it's not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In my humble opinion the wages of the politicians and the frontline workers should be swapped. I have much more respect for a nurse than I do for a politician.

Dwork wrote: »
    Yeah, the "essential" feckers. I bet if they were all gone, we wouldn't miss them for 5 minutes. Any more than 5 minutes might be pushing it, but 5 minutes, I'm good with that. Wasters. Sure we have bankers to be paying, and they're "systemic". Beat that.

Yeah!

Oh wait, how did we end up hating the PS again? Oh yeah, bankers, developers, bail outs...the country has no money because we handed it over to ze Germans. Ohes noes, now we have no money to pay the backbone of the country.

Wait, Iv an idea.....claw it back from all the tax payers over 10 years. Turn the two sectors against each other...make everyone hate the PS and try to force them to work for nothin'. That will get us in the clear.

The people who are now slating the PS would never dream of joining the Public Sector in the "Celtic Tiger" because they were making much more in the Private Sector.....now the PS are all allowance grabbing gob****es that have a cheek to earn a decent wage.

/strip 'em of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

and those pubic service workers think there all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

You would not have the opportunity to do that without the graft of the "backline" public servant.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    For fcuk sake, MONEY IS THE MOTIVATING FORCE for doing any job. If you aren't getting paid enough, they why bother your ar5e doing it.
    Anyone who does a job for the money is nothing but a waster in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Expand a bit on that rather inflammatory statement. Obviously a wage is the main draw for a job. How the hell are they a waster if the job involves hard work and crap hours...? :confused:
    Should they draw the dole rather than take any job offers, the attraction of which are purely the money? Would that be less waster-ish?

Ya whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??????

Madam_X wrote: »
    Expand a bit on that rather inflammatory statement. Obviously a wage is the main draw for a job.
    If you don't like your job, why do it?

If you do like your job, you do it regardless of money.

Yeah!

Oh wait, how did we end up hating the PS again? Oh yeah, bankers, developers, bail outs...the country has no money because we handed it over to ze Germans. Ohes noes, now we have no money to pay the backbone of the country.

Wait, Iv an idea.....claw it back from all the tax payers over 10 years. Turn the two sectors against each other...make everyone hate the PS and try to force them to work for nothin'. That will get us in the clear.

The people who are now slating the PS would never dream of joining the Public Sector in the "Celtic Tiger" because they were making much more in the Private Sector.....now the PS are all allowance grabbing gob****es that have a cheek to earn a decent wage.

/strip 'em of everything.
    Now. There's such a thing as getting an inch, and taking a mile. I want my mile back, please.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Because you'd rather be working than on the dole and having nothing to do and earning less? And why would doing a job purely for the money it pays automatically mean not liking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Madam_X wrote: »
    Expand a bit on that rather inflammatory statement. Obviously a wage is the main draw for a job. How the hell are they a waster if the job involves hard work and crap hours...? :confused:
    Should they draw the dole rather than take any job offers the attraction of which are purely the money? Would that be less waster-ish?

It's an interesting debate to be fair.

Do you live to work or just live to live? Where do you draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Has no one mentioned 'yellow pack' yet? We're losing our touch :pac:

Dwork wrote: »
    Now. There's such a thing as getting an inch, and taking a mile. I want my mile back, please.:mad:

No! It's my mile now! Take it off me in the budget! :P

• Advertisement

If you do like your job, you do it regardless of money.

I do my job to pay my mortgage n feed myself. So nobody else has to.

Advertisement