Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skills you wish graduates had

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I think he meant more graduate than intern.

I think you're correct, from a graduate aspect though I guess I'd just expect OS knowledge and again a strong desire to learn the rest will come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

TrueDub wrote: »
    I don't think he means the first one at all. More that some tasks look mundane and possibly irrelevant, but still need to be done.
    Sadly, a lot (hell, damn near all) grads seem to think that things like "documentation" and "comments" are part of that set of mundane and irrelevant tasks.
    Hence the point about wanting them to just get on with it instead of complaining that documenting their code is a waste of time.

(And honestly, I hear just one more person try to convince me that their code is clear enough that it's self-documenting, and I'm going to sit them down and force-feed them their own code from a year back...)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GavinFlud

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I mean interns are free...

The good ones aren't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

GavinFlud wrote: »
    The good ones aren't. ;)

Good intern, isint that an oxymoron? :)

*ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Yes, yes you are.

Yeah... it was a very optimistic 5.30 am post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Not really a skill but a grad shouldn't assume he/she is the only one in the company with a degree and he/she especially shouldn't say it in canteen in a loud voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

amen wrote: »
    Not really a skill but a grad shouldn't assume he/she is the only one in the company with a degree and he/she especially shouldn't say it in canteen in a loud voice

Ah sure all interns/grads come out of college over confident in their skills.

It takes patience to break their spirit and turn them into a cubicle zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Ah sure all interns/grads come out of college over confident in their skills.

It takes patience to break their spirit and turn them into a cubicle zombie.

Never a truer word spoken (typed?) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hey, you let the shouty nutters run the blogosphere/tweetosphere(?) with their buzzwords and hype and this is what you get... :D

Advertisement