Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional dialects put on ???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

It completely depends on your surrounding.

I would normally have a strong,fast and flat Limerick accent, but I lived in Dublin for a while and some people found it hard to understand so I came back with a Limerick/Dublin Cork hybrid accent!

I've been working in a place with people from all over europe and they find my accent hard to understand (same happened when I was in Canada on holidays), so my accent has improved (speaking slower, pronouncing words in a less flat tone etc.etc.).

But I still find it very difficult to shake the Limerick slang! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

starlings wrote: »
    Ciao :)

There's been a bit of confusion between dialects and accents here. Irish has regional dialects, as I think Italian has - and English once had, before the railways and industry got people moving around England and talking to each other more.

Ciao ;)
    Actually yes, accents and dialects can be confused in the Italian way of understanding the terms.
    In this part of the world a dialect is kind of a local language, with its own words and probably grammar. Dialects are not Italian language, they are the heritage from centuries of invasions by French, Spanish, Germans and Arabs. Every area can have a slight variant of the same "dialect", so two towns few miles apart could understand each other, but from a region to another the differences can be so many that it could be like a French speaking to a Portuguese. So a man from the northeast of Lombardy who speaks his dialect to a man from Sicily is unable to communicate.
    Of course all of us do speak Italian as an official main language, apart from elder people who could find it hard to speak it though they do understand it.
    An accent is the way how an Italian pronounce a word. The accent is influenced by the dialect of the same area. So a man from the northeast of Lombardy who speaks in Italian to a man from Sicily will be able to communicate, but both of them will understand where the other comes from. One will think that the second is a filthy and ignorant southern, the second will think the other is a racist and arrogant northern.

Potentially everybody could learn a second dialect (language). I could learn to speak Neapolitan, but they will easily know that I am from Turin.

So, going back to the topic, I say that though I could move to Florence, I won't ever be able to speak like them, without "C's" or with the aspirated "T's", nor I will be influenced by their accent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Abi wrote: »
    My own accent is a little mixed because I grew up in one area of Dublin but live a different one now. There is definitely a difference between the two. I speak in my childhood dialect mainly, but some of the local spiel and twang has set in. I don't think it's that uncommon to have a slightly jumbled dialect.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Well realistically the only two Dublin accents are posh and not so posh.

Same as me. I grew up in a "posh" area, but have lived in a "not so posh" area for over the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Well realistically the only two Dublin accents are posh and not so posh.
    You'd be surprised. I've a very neutral accent, but the locals here have almost a country-ish vibe with some of their lingo. Everyone seems to say things like 'that's cat', hardly anyone is called by their own name- its a nickname with 'the' before it and 'lad' after it. Everyone says hello even if you haven't the foggiest who the fück they are, and wave at you driving down back roads. It's the kind of dialect and way of life that country folk have, yet it's still Dublin (only just about though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Janey_Mac wrote: »
    It's a very common behaviour, known to linguists as "code-switching" and it's basically a way of matching your dialect to the situation you're in and the people you're with. You'll get further in life if, even though you say "doe-er" at home or in casual conversation, you can say "door" and buy yourself a bit of middle-class cred when you're in talking to the bank manager, or at a job interview, for instance.

Same way someone might say "I'm goin' to the shop, anyone comin'?" when talking to friends but would say "The work for the project is going well; the teams are really coming together" when giving a formal report to senior management.

Not speaking in a strong regional dialect is, rightly or wrongly, seen as an indication of professionalism, education etc. Code-switching is a valuable tool.

Good explanation, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Seachmall wrote: »
    I'm originally from Dublin but now living out wesht and have the accent to prove it. However, when I go back to Dublin I notice my accent changes within a few hours of talking to Dubliners. Even at home in the west I still have a Dublin accent when I say certain words or names.

Even stranger is when I go to England I notice not only does my accent get a bit more Anglicised but the accents of my friends or family or whomever I'm with does too.

I figure it's perfectly natural for people to change their accents to match those around them, some people might do it too gradually to notice but nobody, I'd imagine, does it consciously.

Exactly, people tend to synchonise both their behaviour and accent to those they are talking to, except of corkonians who simply speak in tounges an remain unintelligible at all times except to each other:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Kev_2012 wrote: »

But I still find it very difficult to shake the Limerick slang! :D

aboy da kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Abi wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. I've a very neutral accent, but the locals here have almost a country-ish vibe with some of their lingo. Everyone seems to say things like 'that's cat', hardly anyone is called by their own name- its a nickname with 'the' before it and 'lad' after it. Everyone says hello even if you haven't the foggiest who the fück they are, and wave at you driving down back roads. It's the kind of dialect and way of life that country folk have, yet it's still Dublin (only just about though).

Then you're posh.:D

'That's cat' is said all over Dublin and that's just a phrase, not an accent really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Then you're posh.:D

'That's cat' is said all over Dublin and that's just a phrase, not an accent really.
    Is it?! I never heard it before I came here :D

Well I can't explain it properly :/ they do have a bit of a twang here. It's not a city dialect or neutral anyway. It tends to sneak out when I'm in good form and joking about something, or slagging someone off. Which is commonly when you'd hear the difference in their dialects here.

On the original point Ktric was making, I'm sure there are gobshytes that put on a dialect, but for the most part I'd say it's to do with people having lived in different areas or counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've always had a 'bendy' accent; it just changes naturally depending on my surroundings. My mother is English and my father has a neutral Irish accent; until I started school in the midlands, I sounded English as I spent all day with my mother.

The midlands accent creeps out when I'm at home, but now that I'm in college in a posh enough area of Dublin, I have this odd D4-English-rural hybrid accent.

I know that people at home probably think I'm putting it on, but it happens without me realising. If I was speaking to a Cork person for long enough I'd pick up their accent too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm forced to put on an accent when conversing with the peasants otherwise they turn on me and get quite rough when they realise that I am of the upper class and could buy and sell them faster that you can say "Why yes Jeeves I would like some beluga with my Perrier Jouet, thank you kindly."

Ruffians. Pfffttt..... when will they learn to treat their betters with the respect that we deserve? DaayaknnooowwwwwhhaaImeeeannn?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I pick up on accents too easily. At the moment I have neutral accent with sometimes a Dublin one after living there. It just depends on your surroundings. I went to cork with my friends one weekend and I came back with a cork accent. If I spend a day with someone I tend to pick up on their accent. I don't mean to, I just do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

I think we need to differentiate here between the D4 teen accent, and that of a well-spoken educated one with an emphasis on pronouncing words properly. In fairness, a large majority of people in this country cannot talk properly or pronounce words correctly. Ironically, it's these self-same people with their inverted snobbery who put their own tedious accents on a pedestal and slap themselves on the back for sounding like "a true Irishman" with a mistaken belief that they have a god given right to demean those who speak clearly and pronounce words correctly.

To hell with all the populist inverted snobbery and "I'm a plain average Joe Soap and proud of it" nonsense, I think that half of the people in this country could seriously do with elocution lessons. If you don't sound like either a Pat Shortt caricature or a "Howya bud" type in this country, you're immediately suspect unfortunately. How about minding your own business and letting people speak and talk how they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

dttq wrote: »
    ..they have a god given right to demean those who speak clearly and pronounce words correctly.

No falt to ye hi, but ah wud pit a wee hyphen in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

starlings wrote: »
    aboy da kid!

Help me with my Limerick homework. I need to translate the following sentence into Limerick:

"I used to have a wonderful pair of trainers but an undesirable person stole them from me."

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

antodeco wrote: »
    Sure listen to Joey Barton being interviewed for French TV!

I'll pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I know that people at home probably think I'm putting it on, but it happens without me realising. If I was speaking to a Cork person for long enough I'd pick up their accent too.

I find I'm the opposite! If I'm talking to another Irish person, my accent becomes even stronger, don't know why. Obviously if I'm talking to a non- Irish person, I'll try to speak quite neutral. When I was first visiting England, they found my whest accent hilarious, 'Just like something out of Fr. Ted' or so I was told a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

I wouldn't have a strong Drogheda(Drawda) accent most of the time but I find after a few jars it gets stronger. I'm often mistaken for being a Dub(which really annoys me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Rasheed wrote: »
    I find I'm the opposite! If I'm talking to another Irish person, my accent becomes even stronger, don't know why. Obviously if I'm talking to a non- Irish person, I'll try to speak quite neutral. When I was first visiting England, they found my whest accent hilarious, 'Just like something out of Fr. Ted' or so I was told a few times!

Maybe it's because you don't feel you have to neutralise your accent when you're speaking to another Irish person, regardless of where they're from.

I'd only consciously alter my accent if I was speaking to, for example, my English family, as sometimes I speak too quickly for them. And after a while, my accent will merge into theirs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wouldn't have a strong Drogheda(Drawda) accent most of the time but I find after a few jars it gets stronger. I'm often mistaken for being a Dub(which really annoys me)
    If you have a strong Drogheda accent how could you possibly be mistaken for a Dub?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because you don't feel you have neutralise your accent when you're speaking to another Irish person, regardless of where they're from.

I'd only consciously alter my accent if I was speaking to, for example, my English family, as sometimes I speak too quickly for them. And after a while, my accent will merge into theirs anyway.

Yeah exactly, my accent doesn't carry well at all when I'm abroad, I have to speak slow and careful or get misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

smash wrote: »
    If you have a strong Drogheda accent how could you possibly be mistaken for a Dub?

I said my Drogheda accent wouldn't be that strong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

topper75 wrote: »
    Help me with my Limerick homework. I need to translate the following sentence into Limerick:

"I used to have a wonderful pair of trainers but an undesirable person stole them from me."

A cúnt robbed me sketchers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

great video to watch "The Black Irish" you can hear a Cork Lilt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QHYFXDGf4Y

I don't understand the snobby spoiled rich kids that develop an American Accent. To my ear it sounds very camp.

Gay men that put on or suddenly develop the Camp Accent once they come out or are openly gay is another thing I find weird. A Hetrosexual male will
    typically have their voice break and deepen during puberty and teenage years
    but for some reason some (not all) gay men once they become aware of their sexual preferences their voice magically softens and the pitch goes up and
    a camp like "Oh Matron" type accent develops that might not have been there before when they were growing up. Sometimes a lisp accompany the accent also. Being Gay surely does not cause you to develop a lisp??? (Not sure If this happens to Gay/Lesbian Women also but I've not noticed accent changes for Women)

In Limerick there was a phase where there were upper class teenagers
    "Wannabie Waa's" that would dress like a Knacker and actually put on a very flat Limerick accent. (Which just sounded like Waaa Waa Waaaa)
    or your typical "cmere I want ya" "bud this bud that" "a boy da kid" "yurt"

Another thing I've noticed is where some people that talk without a strong accent and pronounce all their words perfectly when you meet them type different when it comes to the likes of Facebook and social media sites
    All of a sudden you see "Dis" "Dat" "Dese" & "Dose" instead of This That These and Those, "Wut" and "Da ya know wut I mean like" start appearing almost like they try and become an alternate personality when they are online
    instead of being themselves.

~B

stoneill wrote: »
    A cúnt robbed me sketchers tackies

FYP bud. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

stoneill wrote: »
    A cúnt robbed me sketchers

Some cunt knacked me tackies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

The ballymun woman on this evenings news "aaah, dats my old home gettin pult down"

I think they're put on to sound more 'deadly' maybe but probably result in how they're spelled too. Won't catch me making such wanton errors..this cult needs to be culled

Seachmall wrote: »
    Some cunt goooooowwwl knacked me tackies.

:)

The ballymun woman on this evenings news "aaah, dats my old home gettin pult down"

I think they're put on to sound more 'deadly' maybe but probably result in how they're spelled too. Won't catch me making such wanton errors..this cult needs to be culled

I mult over that one for a while. Nice one, R_M. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

topper75 wrote: »

I had a rapid pair of tackies and some knacker robbed em of o' me.

Advertisement