Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional dialects put on ???

Options
  • 26-02-2013 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I've experienced this more than a few times in Dublin and I'm starting to become of the belief that some dialects are put on. Some of the pure shit that comes out of the mouths of a certain section of Dublin inhabitants is a prime example.

Yesterday for example I was talking to one of the guys in work. I can't remember the actually conversation but it involved a door. The first time he said the word "door" it came out "doe-er" and then I noticed subsequent times quickly changed to "door". This could be applied to the rest of the words in the conversation. When he went back to talking to the lads in the stores he quickly reverted to his nonsensical pronunciation of words.

Anyone care to tell me why this is ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sure he wasn't talking about a female deer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Man dear oh shurley. How would ye lake us ta spake sur?

Worst one is the American accent creeping into some people in Ireland.

That accent isn't even good on Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I do think that some accents are so annoying that you would really have to put in a conscious effort to speak that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Sacramento wrote: »
    Worst one is the American accent creeping into some people in Ireland.

That accent isn't even good on Americans.

Aye, this f**king pseudo-American accent most kids have these days is ridiculous! Thanks Jedward!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

people change accents gradually as they move to different places and listen to the local accent, then revert to their original one when talking to people from home. It's usually an unintentional, social thing, especially if you have an ear for music.

Your "doe-er" Dub probably realised he was speaking to someone from outside his turf, KTRIC, so he modified his accent for you and changed back later among his own. Rather kind of him really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm originally from Dublin but now living out wesht and have the accent to prove it. However, when I go back to Dublin I notice my accent changes within a few hours of talking to Dubliners. Even at home in the west I still have a Dublin accent when I say certain words or names.

Even stranger is when I go to England I notice not only does my accent get a bit more Anglicised but the accents of my friends or family or whomever I'm with does too.

I figure it's perfectly natural for people to change their accents to match those around them, some people might do it too gradually to notice but nobody, I'd imagine, does it consciously.

Seachmall wrote: »
    I'm originally from Dublin but now living out wesht and have the accent to prove it. However, when I go back to Dublin I notice my accent changes within a few hours of talking to Dubliners. Even at home in the west I still have a Dublin accent when I say certain words or names.

Even stranger is when I go to England I notice not only does my accent get a bit more Anglicised but the accents of my friends or family or whomever I'm with does too.

I figure it's perfectly natural for people to change their accents to match those around them, some people might do it too gradually to notice but nobody, I'd imagine, does it consciously.

it's embarrassing to come home from an extended stay abroad, especially if you've been speaking another language, and find yourself addressing people slowly_and_carefully as if they're completely thick. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Seachmall wrote: »

Yes, I agree with you. I noticed this in college when I was living with 6 people, one Galway, a Dub, lad from north Leitrim, one from Cork, one from Carlow and two Roscommon (one Roscommon native was me).

When we were all together, every spoke in a fairly similar way. You'd notice certain words or phrases that were distinct to their area but on general, there wasn't a huge difference.

But if they had friends up from home, or were on the phone to someone from home, their accent went very strong. I don't think anyone consciously changes their accent, it depends on your company and surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Many summers ago, my brother went over to London to work for the summer. Upon his return, I noticed he was speaking with a very strong cockney accent. After enduring this for several weeks, I could finally take no more. So I confronted him and eventually resolved the matter by giving him a firm kick in the balls and told him to cop on. Needless to say it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I'm from Donegal and have a seriously broad accent. I try to soften it out when I'm at work in Dublin as everyone has serious issues understanding me at the best of times. Plus we deal with a lot of international folk and I might as well be speaking a different language to them.

I don't do it intentionally (ie. I don't think to myself, I'm in Leinster now, must pull out my best D4 accent), I just do it slightly to make life easier for myself and others on a daily basis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Shur it is a doe'er, what else would ya call it?
    I suppose you pronounce 'book' buck aswell

I suppose you pronounce 'book' buck aswell

'boooook'

how uncuth.

starlings wrote: »
    'boooook'

how uncuth.

"Uncuth"

How uncouth.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sure listen to Joey Barton being interviewed for French TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Many summers ago, my brother went over to London to work for the summer. Upon his return, I noticed he was speaking with a very strong cockney accent. After enduring this for several weeks, I could finally take no more. So I confronted him and eventually resolved the matter by giving him a firm kick in the balls and told him to cop on. Needless to say it worked.

The people from Cork who worked in England in the 50/60's who came home for the hols, and spoke with an English accent, were known as Dagenham Yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Awh. A cockney accent would be lovely to listen to all day, every day, surely!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

My own accent is a little mixed because I grew up in one area of Dublin but live a different one now. There is definitely a difference between the two. I speak in my childhood dialect mainly, but some of the local spiel and twang has set in. I don't think it's that uncommon to have a slightly jumbled dialect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Some of the lads I work with in Kerry said they used to speak with an even stronger accent when up in Dublin for a match. They were under the impression the ladies were impressed by it.
    Being the only person not from the area I bit my tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Abi wrote: »
    My own accent is a little mixed because I grew up in one area of Dublin but live a different one now. There is definitely a difference between the two. I speak in my childhood dialect mainly, but some of the local spiel and twang has set in. I don't think it's that uncommon to have a slightly jumbled dialect.

Well realistically the only two Dublin accents are posh and not so posh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm not an English speaker, so I'd like to know more about this issue.
    How is it possible that a person born and raised in one town can be easily biased to another dialect or accent?
    I mean, I have a slight accent from the area where I live (and where I was born), anybody from another part of Italy could tell where I come from.
    Even if I move to a different city, say Milan (awful accent) or Rome (more awful accent) I will retain my northwest way of speaking, no matter if I stay there for a month or a year. Probably I could enrich my vocabulary with new words that are locally used, but not changing the accent or dialect.

One of my favourite interests is languages, dialects and accents (I'm very good at telling where an Italian person comes from from the first word they speak out), so I'd like to learn more about it.
    Thanks for your attention ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

but not changing the accent or dialect.

You may not notice it but after a year I'd say those back home would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I grew up in Kerry. Spent time in Cork and the US and have been in the Dublin for almost a decade.

My accent is a hodge podge. I spend most of my time in the US talking to different nationalities on the phone. And at the beginning I was having serious troubles being understood (particularly by Asians who were most of the companies customer base) so I spent an extended period of time making a conscious effort to speak plainly.

Which sort of stuck. I've had drunken dickheads in Belfast call me a yank and refuse to take no for an answer when I claimed to be Irish. I've had people in Dublin call me a culchie, folks from Kerry call me a wannabe Dub. Lads I work with have said I have a D4 accent (although I think allot of Dubs mistake proper pronunciation as a D4 accent.There is no way I sound like that).

The Irish have a serious obsession with accent. It's so boring. Differences in regional dialects are important, of course. But I can't help think that allot of semi educated tools write correct spoken English as 'posh' and allot of others dismiss strange accents as fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭ronjo

I worked with a guy in London who had been living there for a few years who had a really really strong Cork accent.

A friend of mine happened to go to university with him in Cork some few years before and said he barely had an accent then.

He would wear a Peoples Republic of Cork tee shirt a lot too so I guess he just wanted everyone to know where he was from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

How is it possible that a person born and raised in one town can be easily biased to another dialect or accent?
    I mean, I have a slight accent from the area where I live (and where I was born), anybody from another part of Italy could tell where I come from.
    Even if I move to a different city, say Milan (awful accent) or Rome (more awful accent) I will retain my northwest way of speaking, no matter if I stay there for a month or a year. Probably I could enrich my vocabulary with new words that are locally used, but not changing the accent or dialect.

Most of the discussions on this issue do seem to revolve around English speaking countries (here, the UK, the US, Australia) but I have heard of French people having similar sensitivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

KTRIC wrote: »
    I've experienced this more than a few times in Dublin and I'm starting to become of the belief that some dialects are put on. Some of the pure shit that comes out of the mouths of a certain section of Dublin inhabitants is a prime example.

Yesterday for example I was talking to one of the guys in work. I can't remember the actually conversation but it involved a door. The first time he said the word "door" it came out "doe-er" and then I noticed subsequent times quickly changed to "door". This could be applied to the rest of the words in the conversation. When he went back to talking to the lads in the stores he quickly reverted to his nonsensical pronunciation of words.

It's a very common behaviour, known to linguists as "code-switching" and it's basically a way of matching your dialect to the situation you're in and the people you're with. You'll get further in life if, even though you say "doe-er" at home or in casual conversation, you can say "door" and buy yourself a bit of middle-class cred when you're in talking to the bank manager, or at a job interview, for instance.

Same way someone might say "I'm goin' to the shop, anyone comin'?" when talking to friends but would say "The work for the project is going well; the teams are really coming together" when giving a formal report to senior management.

Not speaking in a strong regional dialect is, rightly or wrongly, seen as an indication of professionalism, education etc. Code-switching is a valuable tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

KTRIC wrote: »

No idea. My partners brother puts on a mah-hoosive culchie accent whenever he's on the phone.

"Ah be jaaaysus nooooo"

It's ****ing comical. She gives out stink to me for laughing at him doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well realistically the only two Dublin accents are posh and not so posh.

Yes. Like Robbie Keane, the feckin little posher.

One of my favourite interests is languages, dialects and accents (I'm very good at telling where an Italian person comes from from the first word they speak out), so I'd like to learn more about it.
    Thanks for your attention ;)

Ciao :)

There's been a bit of confusion between dialects and accents here. Irish has regional dialects, as I think Italian has - and English once had, before the railways and industry got people moving around England and talking to each other more.

But the grammar and vocabulary we use speaking English in Ireland doesn't vary much, so it's just an accent (apart from a few local slang words). And it's probably much harder to drop a dialect such as Milanese, because you actually think as well as speak in it, than it is to slightly change the way you pronounce words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

CruelCoin wrote: »

No idea. My partners brother puts on a mah-hoosive culchie accent whenever he's on the phone.

"Ah be jaaaysus nooooo"

It's ****ing comical. She gives out stink to me for laughing at him doing it.

The phone is great for it... I find myself matching people's accents on the phone so after a few minutes I suddenly realise that it might sound like I'm taking the piss.
    People used to have a hard time placing where I am from as I try to speak clearly and have spent time talking to people from "everywhere".
    Now I spend less time talking to people and my accent is just bleh.
    I have a really hard time doing fake accents when I want to... like if I wanted to do a French accent it would fall apart right away but after half an hour talking to someone half my vowels would sound a little French.

Advertisement