Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Bowe's Bodycheck

Options
  • 24-02-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Starts on RTE ONE after the news at 9.30

"Documentary on Ireland and Ulster winger Tommy Bowe, giving an insight into the science and physiology behind the player's goal to reach the top of professional rugby"

Not sure what to make of this but i'll give it a watch, sounds interesting but have learned not to allow optimism when it comes to RTE programmes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Even when Bowe is being serious he still looks like he's messing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Even when Bowe is being serious he still looks like he's messing.

He's got one of those faces alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

One of very few backs in rugby that could make a programme about his body and still come across like a sound fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

When's Tommy back fit? With regards Lions selection and the absence of many stand out wingers in the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well, that explains the influx of garish pink boots in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Very interesting. One of rte's better productions.

The science behind everything is fascinating especially measuring for muscle damage before allowing training after matches.

Would like to see this show on a variety of sports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Interesting stuff.How does he eat 5000 calories a day and stay so lean?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Jesusssss, dont keep showing it.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

great programme very informative

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

how can you eat that much in one day without getting sick everywhere is beyond me when your not that fat to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Good show, they got the mix of science and light entertainment right.

Certainly after seeing Bowe's parents you can see where he got his messing side from!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

how can you eat that much in one day without getting sick everywhere is beyond me when your not that fat to begin with.

Hes a professional sports person. He burns up so many calories when he trains/plays a match. Sure hes 15 and a half stone, he needs his food.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I worked as a cycle courier and was rowing competitively at the time. I don't know how I didn't ware my teeth down eating, but it was pleasurable, i enjoyed the food, I enjoyed cooking and eating it.

Only caught the end of the program. The knee injury made my wince!!! And, I've seen it before...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Subway!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What were they illustrating by breaking that metal rod in two? That completely went over my head.

He couldn't break it with his hands using more force than the swinging pendulum thing, and the pendulum could break it no problem. Did they explain why that was at all? Or even its relevance to Rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I have a bit of a belly and I've watched my mates brother who plays at a high enough level eat enough food to fill me twice. Honestly, rugby players are just horses when it comes to food.

Grimebox wrote: »
    What were they illustrating by breaking that metal rod in two? That completely went over my head.

He couldn't break it with his hands using more force than the swinging pendulum thing, and the pendulum could break it no problem. Did they explain why that was at all? Or even its relevance to Rugby?

The Dr. was trying to explain the power of the impacts in the game I think. He was showing the potential energy of the pendulum used to break the metal bar and then said that when Bowe was running his potential energy was much higher.

I don't think potential energy is a great metric, force of impact compared to a car driving @30km/hr hitting a person would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

All I keep hearing every 5 mins is :

"TOMMY BOWE!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

The look on the doctor's face when Tommy reduced the bodyweight running thing to zero was priceless! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Anyone know where I can get a repeat of this? Sounds like it's worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Anyone know where I can get a repeat of this? Sounds like it's worth a watch.

http://www.rte.ie/playerxl/#v=10115408

Really enjoyed it.

PS. is there some kind of "injury status" site where we can see the latest estimates of when a player's going to return? Bowe, Ferris, POC, Sexton etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Brian wrote: »

I'm in the North so can't watch it, unfortunately.
    Brian wrote: »
    PS. is there some kind of "injury status" site where we can see the latest estimates of when a player's going to return? Bowe, Ferris, POC, Sexton etc.

Ulster could do with their own website at the moment for injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

its_phil wrote: »
    All I keep hearing every 5 mins is :

"TOMMY BOWE!!"

Yes, Ryle Nugent needs to be taken out and disposed of...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

I'm in the North so can't watch it, unfortunately.

Not in Ireland, can't seem to find it anywhere. Anybody know where I can see it?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

The Dr. was trying to explain the power of the impacts in the game I think. He was showing the potential energy of the pendulum used to break the metal bar and then said that when Bowe was running his potential energy was much higher.

I don't think potential energy is a great metric, force of impact compared to a car driving @30km/hr hitting a person would have been better.

Energy is actually a much better metric, but it is harder for most people to visualise. That particular segment should have been better explained though, as energy on its own doesn't give you the full picture. Its like most things in life really, it takes some effort to understand it.

The big issue with tackles (for the tackled player) isn't as much the force level, as how ready the body is, where on the body you're hit, what size the impact spot is etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Good show, they got the mix of science and light entertainment right.

Certainly after seeing Bowe's parents you can see where he got his messing side from!

Classic Irish parents. Paraphrasing
    "He wasn't much good at this and he was fairly useless at that . It came as a shock to us when he actually won something "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

So the general jist was that a body in motion has far more energy to expend than a body at rest

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

mrboswell wrote: »
    Yes, Ryle Nugent needs to be taken out and disposed of...

Nugent is actually ok when he's commenting a game in which two neutral teams are playing but don't let him near an Ireland game - very unprofessional - reminds me of watching a South American commentator when a team scores football - well, not that bad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

durkadurka wrote: »
    Classic Irish parents. Paraphrasing
    "He wasn't much good at this and he was fairly useless at that . It came as a shock to us when he actually won something "

I don't know about that, I thought the whole family structure thing was brilliant and showed the support he had, I couldn't imagine my father driving me to a trial and then have my mother follow down separately afterwards. It was also great at keeping him grounded, as Neil3030 said, I don't know if there's another back in world rugby that could have done that program and come across as a genuinely nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know about that, I thought the whole family structure thing was brilliant and showed the support he had, I couldn't imagine my father driving me to a trial and then have my mother follow down separately afterwards. It was also great at keeping him grounded, as Neil3030 said, I don't know if there's another back in world rugby that could have done that program and come across as a genuinely nice guy.

'twas a light hearted remark.

Advertisement