Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Results

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

owenc wrote: »
    So it isn't worth it then? As always with genealogy very little track ever gets going. I am just about fed up. I've exhausted every single method to try and get my boring family back but nope. I always envy those people who can trace their family trees far back.

There is an aussie in my mums side who traced my grandmothers tree back to the 1500s, it is just a typical Irish name so I have no idea at all how he did that.
    The last thing that I am going to do is goto PRONI and if that doesn't work I will give up.

Well, I'm not necessarily saying it isn't worth it. I'm just saying it depends on what you're after, requires work, and there are no guarantees. I do think it may be more valuable in the future. The entire field is still very much in development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It depends on how you define where you are from: at what point in time do you intend to stop? If you have a reasonable paper trail you might be lucky to connect with some who has more information.
    Ponster and RGM, you should upload your 23andme data to www.gedmatch.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ipso, Just done it. I'll let you know what comes of it.

It may take a while to upload. When it does go to the Admixture page and select the Eurogenes and Dodecad projects.
    Here are the websites to give you some background.
    http://dodecad.blogspot.com
    http://bga101.blogspot.com

I uploaded my data to GEDcom a while ago.

• Advertisement

You should have been given a code beginning with M. The admixture link I mentioned will give you access to tools that give you a breakdown by population type like 23andme does.

Ipso wrote: »
    You should have been given a code beginning with M. The admixture link I mentioned will give you access to tools that give you a breakdown by population type like 23andme does.

Yeah, I tinkered around with that stuff when I first got on GEDmatch. I don't really understand the value of it. The sample populations for all those calculators seem to be lacking. Can I ask why you're so keen to have us try it? I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to get out of being labeled "Orkney."

If you're interested in the admixture aspect, you must know of Dr. McDonald? I sent him my data and he came back with "100 percent Irish." No other options or percentages, which is surprising considering the typical results I've seen from him. I'm not actually 100 percent Irish, but close enough.

I thought you might find it interesting, some if the posts on the Dodecad blogs are very interesting. I recommend having a read through it if you have time. Also in the posts where he put up the tools originally he gives Irish averages for the calculators so you can compare results.
    Also from a finding relatives point of view gedmatch has people from other companies upload their data so you may be able to connect with someone that wasn't on 23andme (23andme people has a code beginning with M).

Earlier in this thread, we were posting 23andMe Ancestry Composition results. It looks like 23andMe has updated their sample populations because mine has slightly changed. Also, my parents' results have just come through and my mother's was definitely different yesterday than it is today.

Here is my old one:
    RGM wrote: »
    xDZXJwW.png

And updated:
    1G0BZac.png

Here are my father's results. His dad was born in Co. Donegal and his mom was born in northern Galway.

3JCvwoa.png

Here are my mom's results. She is a bit of an Irish Catholic mutt with ancestors from just about everywhere on the island along with one lone Scottish great-great-grandmother.

tdUaONO.png

And mine has changed again. Not sure what to make of this.

• Advertisement

Your father has very high Irish & British percentage. It would be interesting see how he scores on the Gedmatch tools.
    There is a thread on 23andme about results changing so something must be up.

Ipso wrote: »
    Your father has very high Irish & British percentage. It would be interesting see how he scores on the Gedmatch tools.
    There is a thread on 23andme about results changing so something must be up.

That might be my thread. :)

Advertisement