Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Results

Options
  • 24-02-2013 5:15am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got my Y-DNA1-12 results and as I suspected I've got Niall Of The Nine Hostages as an ancestor.

If ever they bring back the High King I'll think of you lot when I'm rebuilding Tara :)

I get the rest of the marker tests in March.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

And we'll all await that glorious day, your majesty! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

And there shall be a place at my table for you Jellybaby.

I'm thinking of Pinky as my PR guy and shanew as head of secret police (he knows everything about everyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thou hast not given me mine title O Lord! I fearest it be 'Royal Taster'! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I, for one, welcome our new .... :)

Not your ornery onager

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thou hast not given me mine title O Lord! I fearest it be 'Royal Taster'! :eek:

Royal Jester

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ponster wrote: »

I'm thinking of Pinky as my PR guy and shanew as head of secret police (he knows everything about everyone)

Two hostages down, seven to go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I would like my title to be Lady Pinky. Not sure about PR though - I'm too keen to smack down people who don't read the sticky and ask stupid questions!! My real life surname is that of a lieutenant O'Neill family so seems appropriate...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

So this is a thinly veiled boast that none of your maternal lines had...eh..interactions with any passing sailors or vikings.

Trigger prepares for 12 months in the stocks at the top of tara hill.

There is a very good chance Niall's ancestor or Mr M222 came from Scotland or North England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

when we get to establish this medieval style 'New Tara' - can I be in charge Fortifications and Weapons ?

I always wanted to try out a Trebuchet and high-tech cross bow gadget like the Romans had! :)

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

shanew wrote: »
    when we get to establish this medieval style 'New Tara' - can I be in charge Fortifications and Weapons ?

I always wanted to try out a Trebuchet and high-tech cross bow gadget like the Romans had! :)
    S.

A ballista; they also had a smaller version, the manuballista, but there is debate as to what weapon that word referred. Being good mercenary warriors the O'Neills probably did use crossbows, they have been around since the BC days and there are inscriptions of them in Scotland dating to the sixth century. However, keep an eye out for the yet-to-be-appointed Tara holyperson, the Pope banned their use against Christians about 1100. (And if you talk about them over on the Boards 'Hunting' forum you risk a ban, not just an excommunication :eek: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aaRzy9AlFM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_dHpLAPM5I

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Just got my Y-DNA1-12 results and as I suspected I've got Niall Of The Nine Hostages as an ancestor.

If ever they bring back the High King I'll think of you lot when I'm rebuilding Tara :)

I get the rest of the marker tests in March.

Isn't there some debate about this? I understand the Niall Y-DNA story just to be a theory. At a minimum, some of these people could simply trace back to one of Niall's ancestors, in which case they wouldn't actually be his descendants.

RGM wrote: »

Isn't there some debate about this? I understand the Niall Y-DNA story just to be a theory. At a minimum, some of these people could simply trace back to one of Niall's ancestors, in which case they wouldn't actually be his descendants.

Kind of, the link with the mutation or SNP called M222 was discovered in a study done by Trinity College. They noticed it turned up alot in names associated with the UiNiall dynasty especially in Donegal (Doherty, Boyle, Gallagher, McLaughlin etc) and as these names are supposed to have come from Niall then the link was made.
    As more tests were done it turned up in a lot of surnames not associated with the UiNiall, it has been found in small numbers in Scotland, England (of course emigration could account for this) and on the continent.
    In general there seems to be a rough correlation between M222 and the broader Connachta dynasty.
    There is something called STR variance (best to google it) that is used to estimate older forms of these mutations or SNP's and so far the oldest forms seem to have been found in Southern Scotland or North England. As the SNP is thought to be about 2,000 years old some have suggested a group called the Cruithin/Cruithne carried it to Ireland during the late iron age, another possibiity may be mercenaries.
    Calling it the Niall of the Nine Hostages gene or such by companies is very misleading, it was present before Niall but somehow got into the dynasty and due to how the Gaelic order was set up where chieftans sowed many a wild oat it snowballed.

Okay, I got the 37 marker results back. Turns out I'm still Irish :)

Not a lot of matches though....

A5Tmsge.jpg

Have your matches tested for M222 and do they show as positive for it?
    You should join a surname project, there is also an Irish projects.

Ipso wrote: »
    Have your matches tested for M222 and do they show as positive for it?
    You should join a surname project, there is also an Irish projects.

Thanks!

I've just joined a surname project here. I'm kit 270835 in Group 2

I'll eventually get around to doing a Y-DNA test myself, but for now I decided to go with the atDNA test from 23andMe. Should have the results within a month. Should be interesting what pops up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Okay, I got the 37 marker results back. Turns out I'm still Irish inbred :)

FYR ;)

Thanks!

I've just joined a surname project here. I'm kit 270835 in Group 2

Try to get your ino on this website. You might be on it automatically after joining a project. You will get more matches going way back so you might get a look at your male line going way back.
    www.semargl.me/en/dna/ydna

Here's a good forum.
    http://eng.molgen.org/

You might find this light reading interesting.
    http://clanmaclochlainn.com/R1b1c7/M222Origins.doc

• Advertisement

Well, the results are in. As expected, I am indeed a member of the M222 clan.

I'd be more interested to do an FTDNA test and join the project for my surname if it didn't appear to be dead.

You should be able to view results of projects at Family Tree DNA. Under View Y DNA select classic view but it's a big page.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b1c7/default.aspx

How many relatives do you have at 23andme?

You should be able to view results of projects at Family Tree DNA. Under View Y DNA select classic view but it's a big page.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b1c7/default.aspx

How many relatives do you have at 23andme?

The relative finder and ancestry composition features haven't loaded yet, so I don't have any matches right now.

There are no people in that project with my surname. There is a project for my surname but it's small and the link to the project web site is dead.

RGM wrote: »
    The relative finder and ancestry composition features haven't loaded yet, so I don't have any matches right now.

There are no people in that project with my surname. There is a project for my surname but it's small and the link to the project web site is dead.

Is your surname a variation of any other popular ones or linked to any of the old gaelic dynasties?

Is your surname a variation of any other popular ones or linked to any of the old gaelic dynasties?

It's a well-known Catholic Donegal name that is an anglicized version of an Irish name.

My relative finder loaded at 23andMe. I have almost 1000 matches, but few close ones. Only 9 that are 3rd-5th cousins or closer. About 70 that are 3rd-6th, but they seem much closer to 6th than 3rd.

After a wait of 3 months or so I eventually got my 23andme results back !

The first image is from the 'standard results' where the confidence level is 70%

FmhToW6.png

99.9% European is as predicted but only 62.2% British/Irish which was surprising.

The next image is after I change from standard to speculative, dropping the confidence level to 50%

efLSEV4.png

Now this is more like it. With all great-grandparents having pre-Norman Irish names I wouldn't have expected anything else.

The French/German result is interesting. I haven't come up with any theories there yet.

The bit that surprised my wife was on the last image.

qneSzsO.png

What with all our Viking friends she expected the Scandinavian result to be non-zero. I'm not too sure how much viking DNA is present in Ireland nor whether for 23andme Scandinavian refers to Viking.

I did have a tiny bit of Scandinavian sneak into mine:

xDZXJwW.png

I've traced back to all great-great-grandparents and most third-greats. One Scottish third-great-grandmother, the rest Irish Catholic. Wide variety of names and places from all over the island.

I got my parents to agree to test, interested to see how theirs look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

The earliest record in a church for my family is only 1701 and even then I cant confirm its a relative- it probably is as its close to were we where in 1800 and its the same spelling. Im interested in seeing where we originate but those tests dont seem to tell you that. So is it worth it? I was looking at the y dna tests.

owenc wrote: »
    The earliest record in a church for my family is only 1701 and even then I cant confirm its a relative- it probably is as its close to were we where in 1800 and its the same spelling. Im interested in seeing where we originate but those tests dont seem to tell you that. So is it worth it? I was looking at the y dna tests.

The short answer is no, DNA tests don't tell you where you originate. Your results by themselves are fairly meaningless, it is only by comparing them to others that anything is learned. Because of this, the interpretations of the results are only estimates and sometimes very vague.

For genealogical purposes, the hope is that through extensive traditional research and connecting with distant DNA cousins, you can learn more about your family tree. But it is entirely dependent on finding "close" distant cousins that have also done research, and even then there is rarely anything cut and dried, especially in Ireland.

I have not yet taken a Y-DNA test, but the idea is the same. Without traditional research and relatively close matches, there isn't much to be learned. You are placed in a haplogroup and everyone in that group has a common ancestor, but that ancestor likely lived one or two thousand years ago.

That said, I find the whole thing fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

So it isn't worth it then? As always with genealogy very little track ever gets going. I am just about fed up. I've exhausted every single method to try and get my boring family back but nope. I always envy those people who can trace their family trees far back.

There is an aussie in my mums side who traced my grandmothers tree back to the 1500s, it is just a typical Irish name so I have no idea at all how he did that.
    The last thing that I am going to do is goto PRONI and if that doesn't work I will give up.

Advertisement