Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once a scumbag, always a scumbag?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    What's wrong with tracksuits?

nothing really, though they are sometimes used by the middle to upper classes to distinguish themselves from the lower classes. otherwise when everybody walks up grafton street how would one know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Do ya think, maybe, possibly, we could have one thread that doesn't involve a snipe at politicians? Jesus fúcking christ, it's getting old.

Anyway, back OT.

Can a scumbag not be a scumbag? Sure, I guess it's possible. Depends on the person, tbh. Most of the arsébeans I knew from when I was younger, they're older, married/divorced, but when they go out or get together? Still arsébeans.
    If the thread fits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

nothing really, though they are sometimes used by the middle to upper classes to distinguish themselves from the lower classes. otherwise when everybody walks up grafton street how would one know?

Isn't that one of the few areas where JD Sports has an evening wear department? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I thought they were used by the lower classes to distinguish themselves from the middle classes. They are not forced to wear tracksuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

humbert wrote: »
    I thought they were used by the lower classes to distinguish themselves from the middle classes. They are not forced to wear tracksuits.

thats what the middle classes tell themselves - internal narration i believe is the term

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if somebody wants to change or gets help to change then i think its possible,

nothing really stays the same in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Rasheed wrote: »
    It depends. Some scumbags are just scumbags in their teens and early twenties and when they mature, they're grand and are usually embarrassed of their antics when they were knackers.

In my experience though, the above in a minority. The majority will always be scumbags, will marry a scumbagette (not a scummy bread roll, a female scumbag) and they will go on to have mini scumbags and the cycle starts again. This is because the mini scumbags grow up not being taught how not to be a scumbag.

I call them Scumbitches.

If someone wants to change, they will. It's possible for a Scumbag to change but in my experience it is rare. But it does depend on their social surroundings. If they keep hanging around with scumbags then it would be very difficult to actually change as a person because they are surrounded by what they are trying to get away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I call them Scumbitches.

If someone wants to change, they will. It's possible for a Scumbag to change but in my experience it is rare. But it does depend on their social surroundings. If they keep hanging around with scumbags then it would be very difficult to actually change as a person because they are surrounded by what they are trying to get away from.

ah the old nature versus nurture debate !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

0066ad wrote: »

I'm curious as to why you picked that particular example? People like them wouldn't be the first thing to spring to my mind during a scumbag discussion. They are far beyond most people's definition of a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

I'm curious as to why you picked that particular example? People like them wouldn't be the first thing to spring to my mind during a scumbag discussion. They are far beyond most people's definition of a scumbag.

I was watching random vidoes on youtube last night, and happened to come
    across that, so it was still fresh in my mind when i seen this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I am assuming that a scumbag is the equivalent of a dirtbag or asshat. I am curious if this is an on-going personality trait that someone never grows out of, or if this is just a phase in a person's life. In other words - anyone hear of someone being a former scumbag?
    Not at all, white sweater, white pants and the transformation is complete

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's a few down my way that will be scumbags until they are old & infirm.Reading in the local paper the other day about one guy who I know that was up in court for breaking an innocent lads jaw & arm in an unprovoked attack outside a chipper.This fella is 37 now & will never change.

There's other lads who acted the maggot when they were younger but once they hit their 20's then they copped on a bit but there's always the few that there's no hope for & the most depressing thing is that they have kids and are rearing them to be scumbags aswell,the cycle never ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

what is a scumbag? i have to ask? i just don't know or,,, am i just too posh or so i am told

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

what is a scumbag? i have to ask? i just don't know or,,, am i just too posh or so i am told

See, I think my understanding of scumbag is wrong. I thought it was just an asshole who did rude things to people (like the graffiti artist). But it seems to be either a person with a criminal history or a person of a lower class? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

We all deserve a second chance.

But if someone does not use it, show no mercy and teach a lesson ;)

Advertisement