Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once a scumbag, always a scumbag?

Options
  • 24-02-2013 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I am assuming that a scumbag is the equivalent of a dirtbag or asshat. I am curious if this is an on-going personality trait that someone never grows out of, or if this is just a phase in a person's life. In other words - anyone hear of someone being a former scumbag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

We all deserve a second chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I am assuming that a scumbag is the equivalent of a dirtbag or asshat. I am curious if this is an on-going personality trait that someone never grows out of, or if this is just a phase in a person's life. In other words - anyone hear of someone being a former scumbag?
    Once a fianna fail td always a fianna fail td!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Once you give up the tracksuit and stop acting the scumbag, you should be granted a second chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Even these scumbags? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bRqLVjOuSWQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Scumbag is usually used to describe a petty criminal. There is a huge amount of evidence to suggest many grow out, around 25 IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have often thought to myself "do people change over time?" it's a very hard thing to answer.
    For example take an 18 year old who is just generally a prick. Come 28 will he have changed? he should naturally be more mature. But there is a difference between maturity and negitive traits.

About a year and a half ago I bumped into a good few lads that I knew about 9-8 years ago. they were still the same false and back-talking gits. I think its in a person power to change. Some do, but some dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

a leopard never changes its stripes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

They grow out of it in or around 30 (ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

a leopard never changes its stripes spots

Yes, they can. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/eb4f6f88-e169-11df-90b7-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2LmB7olUV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

even the likes of larry murphy? genuine question

• Advertisement

He has it. The only thing we don't know about his next victim is her name.

even the likes of larry murphy? genuine question

I wonder if anyone has ever uttered the words:

"Just give her a second chance, man. People change. So she cheated on you with loads of guys, made a laughing stock out of you and is currently pregnant with the postmans baby. Everyone deserves a second chance. You have a bad attitude!"

... I dont think they have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lanarty94

I wonder if anyone has ever uttered the words:

"Just give her a second chance, man. People change. So she cheated on you with loads of guys, made a laughing stock out of you and is currently pregnant with the postmans baby. Everyone deserves a second chance. You have a bad attitude!"

... I dont think they have :pac:

shut the **** up scumbag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jesuits reckoned that anyone could be changed, as long as they changed by age 7.

After that only those who want to change can and few succeed.

Remember that a lot of people wander the streets because our justice system errs heavily on the side of not imprisoning an innocent person.

lanarty94 wrote: »
    shut the **** up scumbag

my troll sense is tingling :pac:

And remember that just as many guilty people walk our streets because of that error.

I know several lads who would have been considered scumbags by people at a glance, in and out of jail a few times in their younger years and sometimes more recently. Court appearances, suspended sentances etc etc.

They're quite decent people to be fair, I wouldn't really have considered them scumbags at any stage but I know many others who did and now perhaps reckon they've quitened down or whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Well there are cases where people revert/degenerate from normus personus to scroteus-antos. So its not fixed.

However its like being pissed or spat upon. You may change your clothes and physically wash yourself but in a sense it doesn't wash off for much longer.

A good indicator of how long it takes to de-skangerise is to take one of your old gortex jackets and leave it out in the elements til it wears out.
    (this usually takes place on dollymount beach and acts as a kind of ritual/psychological catharsis)

Multiply the time taken by the number of gortex jackets previously worn, add on the length of any knacker-tash worn.

Some scars can remain such as a propensity to cheap cider, a chronic skanger walk, or crap visible tattoos on the hands/knuckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

shut the **** up scumbag

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

goz83 wrote: »
    Yes, they can.
    thats-the-jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire when Will goes back to Philly he meets Omar, the guy who was up to no good and spun Will over his head in the opening credits.

It turned out Omar was reformed, no longer up to no good and was in fact committed to maintaining peace in his community.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Apt username is apt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

shut the **** up scumbag

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=622338&sort=newest

Worst troll ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Banned.

Will this poster get a 2nd chance :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Well there are cases where people revert/degenerate from normus personus to scroteus-antos. So its not fixed.

However its like being pissed or spat upon. You may change your clothes and physically wash yourself but in a sense it doesn't wash off for much longer.

A good indicator of how long it takes to de-skangerise is to take one of your old gortex jackets and leave it out in the elements til it wears out.
    (this usually takes place on dollymount beach and acts as a kind of ritual/psychological catharsis)

Multiply the time taken by the number of gortex jackets previously worn, add on the length of any knacker-tash worn.

Some scars can remain such as a propensity to cheap cider, a chronic skanger walk, or crap visible tattoos on the hands/knuckles.

Made me lol anyway. But I'm a little bit drunk so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

It depends. Some scumbags are just scumbags in their teens and early twenties and when they mature, they're grand and are usually embarrassed of their antics when they were knackers.

In my experience though, the above in a minority. The majority will always be scumbags, will marry a scumbagette (not a scummy bread roll, a female scumbag) and they will go on to have mini scumbags and the cycle starts again. This is because the mini scumbags grow up not being taught how not to be a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think if the temptation for an easy way to make money/steal something etc.is too great, someone who has been on the straight and narrow will find it very hard to say no/turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Rasheed wrote: »
    In my experience though, the above in a minority. The majority will always be scumbags, will marry a scumbagette (not a scummy bread roll, a female scumbag) and they will go on to have mini scumbags and the cycle starts again. This is because the mini scumbags grow up not being taught how not to be a scumbag.

So much of that is to do with environment. If that's all that's there, there's no other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Boombastic wrote: »
    Once you give up the tracksuit and stop acting the scumbag, you should be granted a second chance

What's wrong with tracksuits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Once a fianna fail td always a fianna fail td!

Do ya think, maybe, possibly, we could have one thread that doesn't involve a snipe at politicians? Jesus fúcking christ, it's getting old.

Anyway, back OT.

Can a scumbag not be a scumbag? Sure, I guess it's possible. Depends on the person, tbh. Most of the arsébeans I knew from when I was younger, they're older, married/divorced, but when they go out or get together? Still arsébeans.

Advertisement