Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are babies' thoughts in the form of pictures?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Abi wrote: »
    Take pictures :)

+1

While you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

how do you think? I don't think in words or pictures, the thoughts are just sort of... I dunno, thoughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Babies are feckin arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yes, they think in pictures, but there are words in really big font below them to help them learn.
    phasers wrote: »
    how do you think? I don't think in words or pictures, the thoughts are just sort of... I dunno, thoughts...

You don't think in words? How do you know what you're thinking then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Earthhorse wrote: »
    You don't think in words? How do you know what you're thinking then?

When you're driving down the road and see a car coming in your direction you don't think "there's a car coming in my direction", you just know what it is and where it's heading.

Likewise when you're watching T.V. and someone makes a joke or something funny happens you don't think "that's funny because...", you just know why it's funny.

We spend a lot of our time explaining things to ourselves and others and so we verbalise them in our heads which leads us to believe our thoughts require language. However, that's just a layer of abstraction over our thought process. Not our thought process itself.

• Advertisement

What you've described there are reactions, not thoughts, which are different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Minoxidil

I don't think in words, that's far to slow. Without words you can think much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd love to hear other peoples internal monologues, like when youre thinking to yourself is it your own voice? or how you think your own voice sounds? what about animals? when a dog is sitting there deciding what to do is it just barks going through its head?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Seachmall wrote: »
    You can think without a language. Having a language can even limit your thinking and ability to understand complex topics.

(Well, having a limited language can, although all languages are limited in the grand scheme of things).

There was a good documentary on the BBC I think last year about how language determined what colours people see. They went to some African tribe who could distinguish between colours that we couldn't and couldn't distinguish between colours that were completely different to our eye. Very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I presume they could dream about an enjoyable poo, getting a bottle or a favourite song.
    My five month old goes bananas for some of the songs on the Disney Junior channel, maybe she dreams about them.

• Advertisement

What you've described there are reactions, not thoughts, which are different.

Reactions in those examples would be turning or laughing.

Reactions in those examples would be turning or laughing.
    Thoughts are what happen when we reflect upon things. When we swerve to avoid the car and afterward think "I could have been killed" - that's a thought. They are concious.

What's going on in your brain when the car heads toward you and instructs you to move your arm is unconscious. I wouldn't classify that as a thought. Not all activity that takes place in the brain is thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

When you're driving down the road and see a car coming in your direction you don't think "there's a car coming in my direction", you just know what around and where it's heading.

Likewise when you're watching T.V. and someone makes a joke or something funny happens you don't think "that's funny because...", you just know why it's funny.

We spend a lot of our time explaining things to ourselves and others and so we verbalise them in our heads which leads us to believe our thoughts require language. However, that's just a layer of abstraction over our thought process. Not our thought process itself.

Or when you are driving and it's time to change gears... you don't think "I am in third gear and about to go around a corner I had better drop to second, also turn the wheel and look around a bit. " you just work it out in the back of you mind and do it.

I was playing pool the other day and while taking a tricky shot I was "Thinking if I pull This off it's really going to piss him off" but what This was was never thought of in words... it's just a plan... "this ball is going to hit that ball over there and those two are going to go there and there, knocking this ball away from that pocket while putting mine in other and the white ball over there, roughly"... but you don't think those words. The words come after the plan not before.

Thoughts are what happen when we reflect upon things. When we swerve to avoid the car and afterward think "I could have been killed" - that's a thought. They are concious.

What's going on in your brain when the car heads toward you and instructs you to move your arm is unconscious. I wouldn't classify that as a thought. Not all activity that takes place in the brain is thinking.

Acknowledging the the car is coming in your direction is not necessarily unconscious. You don't have to put something into words in order to have a conscious thought. People without language, like those born deaf, are fully capable of thought.
    kiffer wrote: »
    The words come after the plan not before.
    Exactly, you can't put something that doesn't exist into words. You must have the thought before you can put it into English (or whatever language).

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

jaysus lads,a simple yes or no would have sufficed,i have a headache now trying to understand some of the replies:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

gdavis wrote: »
    jaysus lads,a simple yes or no would have sufficed,i have a headache now trying to understand some of the replies:confused:

Yeah? An actual head ache or are you just thinking the word ouch over and over?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

The mirror stage is a concept in the psychoanalytic theory of Jacques Lacan. The mirror stage is based on the belief that infants recognize themselves in a mirror (literal) or other symbolic contraption which induces apperception (the turning of oneself into an object that can be viewed by the child from outside of himself) from the age of about six months. Later research showed that, although children are fascinated with images of themselves and others in mirrors from about that age, they do not begin to recognize that the images in the mirror are reflections of their own bodies until the age of about 15 to 18 months. Of course, the experience is particular to each person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_stage

I like this kind of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

jesus wept

Advertisement