Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are babies' thoughts in the form of pictures?

Options
  • 22-02-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

was just watching the little fecker waddling around the floor on his arse here and it struck me,how do they think,as they dont know any words....thats it really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

You can think without a language. Having a language can even limit your thinking and ability to understand complex topics.

(Well, having a limited language can, although all languages are limited in the grand scheme of things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

instinct and observation copycat behaviour and genes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my little fella was toddling around naked earlier leaving little pools of piss all over the place whenever he got exited. i dont know what he does be thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

my little fella was toddling around naked earlier leaving little pools of piss all over the place whenever he got exited. i dont know what he does be thinking

Like father, like son.:p

he only pee'd, where i......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

put down the joint man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

He was probably wondering why you forgot to put a nappy on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Epic post

lazygal wrote: »
    He was probably wondering why you forgot to put a nappy on him.

didnt forget, he's teething hard and has a nappy rash from it so we leave his nappy off for a while to let the air at it

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

yeah but how does he say "that lazy f#cker didnt bother his arse putting my poxy nappy on" in his head with no words??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

I often wondered this myself, I came to the conclusion that they think in pictures and emotions.

Re the nappy rash, if it is really bad i.e. bleeding at all, put corn flour on it instead of cream as this is what the nurses did with out baby in hospital, they siad it is the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I cant remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Probably think the same as myself with a few gargles on me
    Wtf is that thing
    Who the fcuk are you
    Got milk!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I read somewhere that babies have dreams from about 7 months in the womb. Seriously, wtf can they be dreaming about? Dear Diary. Today I was bored so decided to play football with Mummy's bladder. It tired me out so now I will sleep for while before doing it again. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I approve of this OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Babies are great!

Expensive though. :mad:

Toddler (two and a half) and a four month old here.

You do be wondering what is goin through their minds at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

What about blind people? Or deaf people? Or Helen Keller? It's possible to think without language, just depends on how you interpret your perceptions, even if it just just the association of sensations with stimulii. The picture theory of perception doesn't work though, it doesn't properly account for 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's hard to know with babies you have to remember that a surprising amount of human behaviour is learned. Your not born a civilised human being, you have to be made into one. A infant human may not have thoughts any more elaborate than the dog or a mouse out in a field. By that I don't' mean to insult your child (we're all the same animal) but without learning the traits we expect in humans your child is thinking about no more than any other living animal.

Most people fail to appreciate just how incredible a human child is. It took humanity thousands of years to end up here and a child can pick it all up in a matter of months. We are truly the most incredible species ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

ok,so,u know the way there does be all sorts of sh1te goin on in ur head constantly?[well in mine anyway].what age did that start? and what went through ur mind before that,when u were a baby.like,u cant just not think!!?ah here.the wine is gone to my head now ffs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I seen a documentary on this before, pretty sure all babies talk like Bruce Willis in their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

gdavis wrote: »
    was just watching the little fecker waddling around the floor on his arse here and it struck me,how do they think,as they dont know any words....thats it really!

If he's dragging his ass around hes trying to get mobile. Everything is visual to babies, and he can see everyone else walking around and that is his way of copying what is going on around him.

Take pictures :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Excellent post scumlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

ScumLord wrote: »
    We are truly the most incredible species ever.

except for those lizards that drink through their feet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

bgrizzley wrote: »

And when they bark, bees come out of their mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

keith16 wrote: »
    And when they bark, bees come out of their mouths.

link please, this i gotta see...:D

http://io9.com/370065/this-lizard-drinks-through-its-foot-and-soon-you-will-too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Abi wrote: »
    Everything is visual to babies,
    I wonder would it be though. As adults we're very visual but all babies have hyper senses by adult standards. If you think about hearing loss that's caused by physical damage to the ear follicles so a new born baby could be hearing things we can't hear any more. It's hard to know how much of an effect that can have on a person. Although I'm sure this research has been done and your more than likely right. But infant humans could very likely be extremely different from adult humans due to human brains being so malleable.
    bgrizzley wrote: »
    I don't know about you but they'd be a different species from me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

God knows what goes through their head. My little grub will look at what I give her suspiciously but whatever's on the floor is going straight down the gob. Food or not. I saw her licking the soles of daddy's shoes a few times. There's something about that earthy blend of ****pissvomit that she likes. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

They're crafty little feckers, they know more than they let on

He'd be thinking that life is great and fun and a never ending round of discovery. He hasn't a care in the world :).

It must be great to be a toddler, it's a shame we can't really appreciate it until its way too late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Candie wrote: »
    It must be great to be a toddler, it's a shame we can't really appreciate it until its way too late.

Not for everybody. :)

Advertisement