Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Catholic Church to allow morning-after pill in rape cases

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Not an expert on canon law,or even what canon law is, but would a bishop have the authority to excommunicate someone?

Did said bishop excommunicate anybody?

Are we certain that the leaders of the easter rebellion were actually excommunicated,or was it,as my guide put it,"an urban legend"?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A cursory examination of 19th and 20th century history indicates that the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland (same as elsewhere) has consistently chosen the winning side :rolleyes:

In other words, condemn rebellion until it looks like they'll win.

Oddly enough, this is the same throughout the world. No surprise there then.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Had a quick scroll down through people excommunicated by the rcc, I didn't see anyone connected to the war of independence,granted it was on wiki.
    I understand it is an emotive issue for folks here, but sometimes,I feel that a rabid anti-clericism clouds these threads and it leads to untrue assumptions, everyone likes to believe that their foe is the very epitome of evil/ignorance, ipso facto we are the good guys.
    Good night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

crockholm wrote: »
    Had a quick scroll down through people excommunicated by the rcc, I didn't see anyone connected to the war of independence,granted it was on wiki.
    I understand it is an emotive issue for folks here, but sometimes,I feel that a rabid anti-clericism clouds these threads and it leads to untrue assumptions, everyone likes to believe that their foe is the very epitome of evil/ignorance, ipso facto we are the good guys.
    Good night all.

I don't think its a rabid anti-clericsm cloud,It's more like an unhealthy obsession with the RC.
    Some like me couldn't give a toss,I can ignore it, but more are OBSESSED

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Good night all.

As you appear to be unable to undertake basic research
    One of the few recorded cases in Ireland relates to Bishop Daniel Cohalan of Cork who excommunicated republicans during the War of Independence. Concerned at the spiralling scale of violence in December 1920, he declared that anyone who organised or took part in “an ambush or in kidnapping or otherwise shall be guilty of murder, or attempt at murder, shall incur by the very fact the censure of excommunication”.

Theoretically, the leaders of Sinn Féin, including Éamon de Valera, were subject to this order, although it didn’t impede their activities or, for that matter, subsequent harmonious relationships with the Catholic Church.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0126/1224329299092.html

The Papers of Mary MacSwiney held in UCD contain the following

The church and republicanism (1914–40): correspondence with members and representatives of the Roman Catholic hierarchy and with Papal Nuncios concerning the excommunication of members of the Irish Republican Army and the church’s refusal to administer the sacraments to them. Related statements, articles and pamphlets.
    http://www.ucd.ie/archives/html/collections/macswiney-mary.htm

It is not an 'emotive' issue - it is a historical fact.

Just like the rape of children by members of the RCC clergy is a historical fact.

Just like the slave labour endured by women and girls in RCC controlled laundries is a historical fact.

You cannot wish these facts away by accusing those who point them out as rabidly anti-clerical or dismiss them because you couldn't find them on wiki (even though the blanket excommunication is mentioned in wikipedia entry on the burning of Cork so you can't have wiki'd much).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] rabid anti-clericism clouds these threads and it leads to untrue assumptions [...]
    Well, why don't you document and challenge these untrue assumptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Geomy wrote: »

I don't think its a rabid anti-clericsm cloud,It's more like an unhealthy obsession with the RC.

Hi there! I couldn't help but notice your obsession with trying to be all cool and detached from current events and your casual disdain for anyone who made the terrible mistake of having an opinion.

I'm also trying to find a way to feel superior to both sides of an argument myself without requiring the spine or strength of character necessary to hold views of my own. Do you do workshops?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Geomy wrote: »

So, if you couldn't give a toss, and you can ignore it, why are you on here so much giving out about people who do have an interest in it? Why not shag off to another forum which you could give a toss about?

I don't go to the musicals forum and give out about them being 'obsessed' with musicals, and how much I couldn't give a toss about Grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's a Musicals forum? Blimey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's a forum for everything. There may even be an 'I'm so cool, I don't give a toss' forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement