Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2013 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What a finish in prospect for Division 1A of the league

The League table is

Waterford 5pts (-3 scoring diff)
    Clare 4pts (+6 scoring diff)
    Cork 4pts (+6 scoring diff)
    KK 4pts (+2 scoring diff)
    Tipp 4pts (-1 scoring diff)
    Galway 3pts (-10 scoring diff)

The final round of games is
    Waterford v Galway
    KK v Cork
    Tipp v Clare

As things stand all teams could get one of the top 3 spots and a league semi final berth, and likewise all teams could end up in the bottom 2 and the relegation play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's amazingly close, the best thing about the current league system is that it can make things very very competitive, and it certainly is this year.

Personally, I think Kilkenny will have too much for Cork at home...they're starting to step up now.

Been disappointed with Galway, and I think Waterford will be able to beat them, even though it is bound to be very close.

Clare and Tipp is a very hard game to call, but I think Clare just have that extra bit of hunger which will give them the win.

That would mean Waterford top, with Kilkenny and Clare also qualifying for the semi-finals. Galway and Tipp in the relegation play-off because of head-to-head then?

And in Division 1B, it's looking like Limerick will play Dublin in the final, as expected. Dublin had a very convincing win against Wexford today, bounced back well. Very hard to say who will win that.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It's amazingly close, the best thing about the current league system is that it can make things very very competitive, and it certainly is this year.

Personally, I think Kilkenny will have too much for Cork at home...they're starting to step up now.

Been disappointed with Galway, and I think Waterford will be able to beat them, even though it is bound to be very close.

Clare and Tipp is a very hard game to call, but I think Clare just have that extra bit of hunger which will give them the win.

That would mean Waterford top, with Kilkenny and Clare also qualifying for the semi-finals. Galway and Tipp in the relegation play-off because of head-to-head then?

And in Division 1B, it's looking like Limerick will play Dublin in the final, as expected. Dublin had a very convincing win against Wexford today, bounced back well. Very hard to say who will win that.

Cant seem to find out if head to head or points difference comes in play if 2 teams are level. The radio seemed to indicate points difference earlier (RTE), but I cant find out online

Whoever does win 1B will go into the semi final with an extra game under their belt from the 1B final, and could spring a surprise imo

KevIRL wrote: »
    Cant seem to find out if head to head or points difference comes in play if 2 teams are level. The radio seemed to indicate points difference earlier (RTE), but I cant find out online

Whoever does win 1B will go into the semi final with an extra game under their belt from the 1B final, and could spring a surprise imo

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2012_Part1.pdf

This hasn't opened for me but apparently it says head-to-head when only 2 teams are involved. Then points difference.

I'm not sure an extra game at this stage will make that much of a difference tbh...I mean the teams in 1B may have struggled against some of the so-called weaker teams but the ones in 1A have all been at a much higher intensity.

If Limerick do manage to win the final, I'd fancy our chances of winning a semi-final all the same. We wouldn't be favourites but I'd say it'd be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

What's the format for the final stages?

• Advertisement

What's the format for the final stages?

Semi finals
    1st in Div 1A plays the 1B winner
    2nd in 1A plays 3rd in 1A

Final between the winners of the above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath in the Division 2B final with one game to spare :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It was head to head last year, that's how Waterford finished ahead of Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I think the league and the forthcoming hurling championship will be fascinating this year. I feel there is a wind of change whereby there are a number of teams, 4-5 possibly who are capable of challenging Kilkenny's long standing dominance. Thats not to say Kilkenny still arent very, very strong but I think the league and championship is very much wide open this year. My opinions on the top tier teams so far, all of which are very good sides and capable of beating one another which makes this year all the more intrigueing..

Kilkenny: Still the team to beat no doubt but there could be some question marks developing this year over a few of their aging talismen
    Cork: More youth than experience but are well capable of peaking in the latter stages of the championship despite a mixed league campaign so far
    Galway: Will be wanting to go one better after losing an All ireland that was there for them in the first game last year.
    Tipperary: Hot and cold of late, lots of talent there in their ranks will be looking to put lasts years AI semi final disaster behind them
    Waterford: Emerging Dark horses, playing with a fantastic spirit this year in the league with new the younger players stepping up to the plate
    Clare: making good progress this year with a very young team, and AI semi, league final or munster final would be initial targets
    Limerick: Promotion to 1a and a munster final would be realistic targets
    Dublin: Looking to come back stronger after a dissapointing 2012, capable of causing an upset in the Leinster championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Anybody know what date the Division 1b final is fixed for ? And what date the semi finals are fixed for ?

• Advertisement

TheNap wrote: »
    Anybody know what date the Division 1b final is fixed for ? And what date the semi finals are fixed for ?

I've heard the 1B final is set for Sunday week, the 7th, I think it is. Might be moved to the 6th if the Munster Heineken Cup final is on the same day.

I think the semi-finals are on another 2 weeks after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Here are a few sanarios i made up about the last day

San 1

Waterford Win- Galway Lose
    Tippeary Win- Clare Lose
    Kilkenny Win- Cork Lose

1 Waterford (7)
    2 Tipperary ( 6 )
    3 Kilkenny (6)
    4 Clare (4)
    5 Cork (4)
    6 Galway (3)

San 2

Waterford lose- Galway Win
    Kilkenny Win- Cork Lose
    Tippeary Lose- Clare Win

1 Kilkenny (6)
    2 Clare (6)
    3 Galway (5)
    4 Waterford (5)
    5 Cork (4)
    6 Tippeary (4)

San 3

Waterford Draw- Galway Draw
    Kilkenny Lose- Cork Win
    Tipperary Win- Clare Lose

1 Clare (6)
    2 Cork (6)
    3 Waterford (6)
    4 Tipperary (4)
    5 Kilkenny (4)
    6 Galway (3)

San 4

Waterford Win- Galway Lose
    Kilkenny Draw- Cork Draw
    Clare Lose- Tipperary Win

1 Waterford (7)
    2 Tipperary (6)
    3 Cork (5)
    4 Kilkenny (5)
    5 Clare (4)
    6 Galway (4)

San 5

Waterford Lose- Galway Win
    Kilkenny Win- Cork Lose
    Clare Draw- Tipperary Draw

1 Kilkenny (6)
    2 Clare (5)
    3 Tipperary (5)
    4 Galway (5)
    5 Waterford (5)
    6 Cork (4)

the list is still incomplete my brain cant take anymore lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭blue note

Who are tg4 showing on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

blue note wrote: »
    Who are tg4 showing on Sunday?

Cork Kilkenny live followed by deferred coverage of Waterford Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 425 ✭✭Dreamertime

Hi guys :)

Do we know where the semi finals will be played on the 21st?

Thurles probably?

Hi guys :)

Do we know where the semi finals will be played on the 21st?

Thurles probably?

Croke Park

Croke Park

Oh. Thanks for that. It just not confirmed on either the Croke Park or GAA sites. :)

Oh. Thanks for that. It just not confirmed on either the Croke Park or GAA sites. :)

Heard it on Saturday sport, I assume the times will be available tomorrow.

Nice one :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

Croke Park

I was expecting them to be in Thurles but the state for the pitch was awful last night so I'm not surprised it may not be Thurles.

• Advertisement

Mullet wrote: »
    I was expecting them to be in Thurles but the state for the pitch was awful last night so I'm not surprised it may not be Thurles.

Wasn't great which is unusual, but maybe it's worth bearing in mind that there were two games played on it earlier in the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Croke Park

Semi finals are on in Thurles according to the GAA website.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/allianz-hurling-league/

adrian522 wrote: »
    Semi finals are on in Thurles according to the GAA website.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/allianz-hurling-league/

Apologies, I think it was the Football semi finals I heard about yesterday :o

No worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is there no Division 2B relegation play-off? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Travel wise Croke Park would suit a lot of Galway supporters more, but I suppose the gaa want to maximise the crowd so home advantage for Tipp and less than 1 hour distance for Kilkenny is the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Just been watching the Tipp Dublin match and the gap between Tipp and Dublin is worrying. And this is a Dublin team that were there or thereabouts for the past few years and one season down in 1b and look at where they are so imagine what it's doing to other teams.

But of course according to some the current system is fine, yeah fine for the bigger counties as the monopoly continues as they get stronger and the gap to the other widens but sure maybe that's what the GAA wants

the kelt wrote: »
    Just been watching the Tipp Dublin match and the gap between Tipp and Dublin is worrying. And this is a Dublin team that were there or thereabouts for the past few years and one season down in 1b and look at where they are so imagine what it's doing to other teams.

But of course according to some the current system is fine, yeah fine for the bigger counties as the monopoly continues as they get stronger and the gap to the other widens but sure maybe that's what the GAA wants

Who is arguing it's fine? The only people that seem to be arguing that are the likes of Des Cahill on RTE who say it's better for the spectators.

Also, Dublin are an average side. They had one decent season where the bet a poor Galway team, and gave Tipp a game but in reality that game wasn't a reflection on the difference in the calibre of players both counties have. Since then they've taken consecutive defeats last year by way of being hammered by Kilkenny and edged out by Clare, and in 2010 they lost to Antrim. They're not without quality in there team, but all the same it's time we had a reasonable assessment of where they are actually at, and not blame Division 1B for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Sorry wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Two one-sided games yesterday. Difficult to see how Galway can hope to give a game to KK a game in Lenster this summer, need a change of tactics and if they are in the county, about 3 new players. Hard to judge Tipp as Dublin showed why they are in Div 2, but I would like to see how they would re-act under a bit of pressure. Still have my doubts about Tipp.

Advertisement