Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson hoover worth it?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Myself and my partner have had our eyes set on a Dyson hoover (not really fussed about the model) for the last few weeks. We went in to Arnotts today on Henry St and they range from €250-350.
    We're looking to pick one from the 'cylinder range', but to be honest our budget originally was around €150 for a new hoover. The aftercare seems great, 5 year warranty (labour and parts) and they give you an irish mobile/office number which is open 7 days a week, 364 days, blah blah...:p

My 2 questions are:
    Has anyone bought one of these 'cylinder models' and are they worth the price?

Is there a cheaper alternative 'bagless' hoover? Or are they fairly awfully built that they'll last a bout a year. (think isaw a bagless hoover in argos for 60 quid)

Thank you :)

http://www.dyson.ie/store/productcat.asp?category=CYLINDER
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Dyson vacumn cleaners are grand but emptying the hopper is a royal pain in the hole. They dont take knocks too well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Had one for about 7 yrs. V happy. They can be a small bit fragile - as in not made of metal. As for suction and cleaning -excellent. It's never stopped working or given any trouble. Would def buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

People I know move away from Dysons after a while. At first they seem to be good, but parts break and are hard to get. They do seem to lose suction. You can't go wrong with a nilfisk

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Had many many cleaners over the years all of which lost suction, smelled had cables which refused to rewind within about a year and all suffered from bad proguct support. Had a really good Hoover Aquamaster which is still being used by a relative (its 12 years old now). Had one problem with it when the hose refused to suck water. Contacted Hoover who immediately sent a replacement without argument. Then bought a Dyson Animal 21. What a machine, have it about 6 years now. It has lost none of its suction power, has never smelled and the cable still rewinds no problem. So basically its as good as it was when new. Can't say much about their support as I have never had reason to call them. I do know that their 5 year warranty is transferrable so if you sell or give the machine away the new owner can avail of it. The warranty also travels, that is to say if you move to the uk it goes with the machine. Accessories, ie new floor heads, crevice tools ect are quite expensive so look at a model that has everything you need included. Am I glad I bought a Dyson Yes. Would I buy another Dyson Yes.

Hope this helps,

Hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

we have stow away...best ever....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Had one for about 5 years - always thought it was good. Moved into a new house last year - loads of dust and dirt that needed to be vacummed up (plaster dust, grit, etc).
    Realised that the Dyson was in fact a King among vacumn cleaners.
    Very easy to clean, never loses suction - just give the filters the odd clean. Robust yet light.

Wouldn't buy anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I don't like Dyson OP.

I know this is slightly over budget 40 euro more) but its great, will last for years and brand quality is excellent

http://www.did.ie/miele-vacuum-cleaner-s5211

It's also reduced from 250 Euro so it wasn't cheap originally either

I know it's not bagless but really, don't believe all the hype of Dyson. I've used Dysons in the past and didn't think they matched the suction power of something like this Miele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I don't like Dyson OP.

I know this is slightly over budget 40 euro more) but its great, will last for years and brand quality is excellent

http://www.did.ie/miele-vacuum-cleaner-s5211

It's also reduced from 250 Euro so it wasn't cheap originally either

I know it's not bagless but really, don't believe all the hype of Dyson. I've used Dysons in the past and didn't think they matched the suction power of something like this Miele

and the miele needs bags......

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

The folks had a Dyson Animal Hoover and it was totally rubbish. Lost suction, even with constant filter cleaning and they replaced it much quicker than its price tag would lead you to expect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had a dyson and replaced it with a Miele Cat and Dog, 100 times better, even though it uses bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ASRB

Would I buy another Dyson - Short answer is no. Once the filter gets anyway dirty the suction is crap. I cant bring myself to throw out the machine because it cost much but I wish it would stop working so I could buy something decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Have the Dyson animal for about 5 years now. Have 2 German Shepherds who shed like Fcuk.
    Hoover everyday, sometimes twice daily. The Dyson is as good as the day I bought and has never lost suction or never yet needed anything replaced.
    It has justified its initial expense many times over!
    For me, would defo repurchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dyson is not great. We have one and its as bad as any other for dropping suction. Even if you empty it, its still hopeless unless the filters are in great shape.
    In short - No bag but needs more maintenance than a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

I have the Dyson animal.....had it 5 years now....and still as good as new.....wouldn't even consider another hoover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Wow, some definite yeses and definite nos here!

We've had a Dyson DC08 Animal for about 7 years now. We were very happy with it, but in the last year or so it started to lose suction a bit. To be fair, we were only cleaning the filter a couple of times a year, I think they recommend every month or so? And it only takes 5 mins to clean the filter (and overnight for it to dry).

Anyhow, I got in touch with Dyson, even though it wasn't under warranty anymore. They sent out an engineer for a flat fee of €90. He replaced the motor and cable winder, and ordered a new cyclone unit and a new Animal turbine head, and they arrived within a week. So basically for €90 it got a full service, and everything bar the telescopic pole, wheels and dust bin have been replaced.

Can't really ask for more than that, for a 7 year old piece of equipment! :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I also have a Dyson Animal and I would be lost without it. We have dogs, that shed - A LOT - and it works a treat on all the carpets and rugs around the house (and all the hard floors). I am still surprised sometimes with how much crap it gets off the floors. I go over the dos beds and stuff with it and it is geat. Mine has taken quite a beating over the years too so I don't think they are delicate or anything, we have had ours about 6/7 years and it is still going fine. The only thing I don't like about it is that the capacity is slightly smaller than I would like (but, as I said, the dogs produce a lot for it to clean up so that probably just applies to our house!) but I would repurchase one without hesitation.

Dyson customer service is very good - we had to replace the head about 2 years ago (machine was about 4/5 years at the time) - they replaced it free of charge, only had to make a phone call and test it over the phone. No problems before that or since.

My parents had a Miele Cat and Dog, which worked very well (they have one, small but fuzzy dog) but is kept breaking (buttons went wonky, hose cracked etc.) so they replaced it with another Miele (can't remember the name of it, but it is bagless and wasn't too expensive) that is grand for their needs so it could be worth while looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Meirleach

Hrm, never had a dyson, but currently have a Henry Xtra. We've always had dogs and other animals, and the weird carpet brush on it was amazing for pulling up dirt from the carpet.

Not sure how it would compare with a dyson though...oh and it uses bags which may be a point against the Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We used to have a Dyson animal to take care with the debris of 3 dogs (2 of them long haired) and three cats.

Suction was always good in it, waste capacity was too small, emptying the waste was messy (especially on a windy day :D), filter cleaning also not a nice job, very dusty. Turbo brush useless with long hair, just clogs up.

We were happy while we had it, but once the motor burnt out we did not repair it and bought something else instead.

We now have a "Charles", the wet & dry variety of a "Henry" and while this uses bags, it takes ages before one of these is full and they're cheap to buy and sooooooooo much cleaner to empty. Suction on the Charles is on par with the Dyson (surpisingly) and you can get parts cheaply everywhere. The only nuisance with the Charles is that the cable doesn't wind at all ...there isn't even a proper space to hang/wind it yourself. On the upside you can just switch over to wet mode and mop up any accidents or do a weekly washdown after mucky weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Have a Dyson
    Very little storage for dirt
    Suction all right

Used to have this....THE BEAST.... Now THATS a HOOVER
    Do they still make ones like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwgK3OAEywI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

these are usually around €300 quid ya?

€300 quid to hoover a carpet?

Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭thomasm

Have the animal for about 8 years, have 3 messy kids plus 1 cat and that machine owes us nothing. Gets used up to 3 times a day and never had any issues with suction or any faults. Clean the filter(rinse under tap and allow to dry) every few months and you will be fine. Kids also drag each other around sitting on it and its still standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've had the Dyson DC19 for years now and absolutely love it.

Pros: Great suction, has never broken.
    Cons: Emptying the cylinder on a windy day can be tricky, that damn clip on the back that holds the hoover head, in storage, is flimsy

Overall, it's better than any other vacuum cleaner I've owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Would never buy another and have owned 2. They are very brittle the plastic used on them cracks very easily. Waste of money IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Bought mine in 2001. ADORE it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭skinny90

jasonb wrote: »
    Wow, some definite yeses and definite nos here!

We've had a Dyson DC08 Animal for about 7 years now. We were very happy with it, but in the last year or so it started to lose suction a bit. To be fair, we were only cleaning the filter a couple of times a year, I think they recommend every month or so? And it only takes 5 mins to clean the filter (and overnight for it to dry).

Anyhow, I got in touch with Dyson, even though it wasn't under warranty anymore. They sent out an engineer for a flat fee of €90. He replaced the motor and cable winder, and ordered a new cyclone unit and a new Animal turbine head, and they arrived within a week. So basically for €90 it got a full service, and everything bar the telescopic pole, wheels and dust bin have been replaced.

Can't really ask for more than that, for a 7 year old piece of equipment! :)

J.
    This is what I was about to say...the mother was older than that...literally couldn't believe the service literally like a brand new Hoover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Can I be an ass here and say that Dyson make VACUME CLEANERS
    Hoover also make VACUME CLEANERS
    Dyson and Hoover are companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Borrowed one from a neighbour a few years ago when I first moved into an apartment, was very impressed with it.
    Can I be an ass here and say that Dyson make VACUME CLEANERS
    Hoover also make VACUME CLEANERS
    Dyson and Hoover are companies.

You certainly can seeing as they make vacuum cleaners. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

i had dysons but moved away from them and seen a review on which website with bosch models getting very good reviews ,bought one 2 years ago and have to say its fantastic ,very strong suction and doesnt loose power ,also its hepa filtration is very good and best in class according to which if u have allergies might be good,overall a good strong hoover and id recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My parents have a nilfisk for over 20 years and is working perfectly still. But the cable needed to be replaced once.

We replaced it with a dyson. Although the suction is better. It seems so cheap and plastic. The head constantly gets clogged and since it allows you to wooden floor and tiles with the same head but just adjust it. It can take up to 30 mins to unclog it.

I would buy the Miele vacuums theyre fairly cheap at like €180 and seem like they will last year. (theyre made in Germany)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Perfect Ring

Have a Dyson cyclinder for almost 5 years and would highly recommend it, by far the best hoover on the market!

Advertisement