Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famicom collecting.... why ?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why I've started to collect Famicom games ? :confused:

I think I just like the colourful carts but I can't be sure :)

Anyway, so I've got like 36 NES carts (PAL & NTSC) for my PAL and NTSC NESs.

I don't own a Famicom and they seem quite tricky to get. I bought 6 boxed Famicom games and they look SOOOOoooo lovely. I've another 7 (unboxed) on the way.

Is ebay the way to go here or is there something better ? How much would I be looking at for decent Famicom console ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well, I bought a fully boxed Famicom from an Irish seller on ebay for €50 delivered, so anything is possible really!

If I were after one now, I'd keep an eye out on ebay.co.uk and use Parcel Motel to have it shipped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I love my Famicom, cracking console.
    See if the one you get one that's AV modded already, otherwise give EnterNow a shout.
    The controller cables are damn short too, I'm going to have a go at extending them, maybe reroute the cable through the front or see if I can pick a set of longer cables online somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, I love my Famicom, cracking console.
    See if the one you get one that's AV modded already, otherwise give EnterNow a shout.
    The controller cables are damn short too, I'm going to have a go at extending them, maybe reroute the cable through the front or see if I can pick a set of longer cables online somewhere.

Which reminds me, have to AV mod my own one....first though...I need a game for it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Crap. I didn't realise a Famicom could be so much hassle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What about the AV Famicom? No short controllers and its nAMe gives a clue to a second benefit.

• Advertisement

Would I be better off with a 70 to 60 pin convertor for now ?

So after a full 10 minutes intense research I bought this...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180981311980&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

I don;t want to here and negative comments as my wallet has not yet come to terms with 60$ shipping :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You got ripped off. All that is is a NES clone that draws power from the SNES cart slot. Expect the sound to be bad and you'll run into a lot of incompatibilities especially with Famicom games with weird mapper chips (a lot of the better late games in other waords).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

brianon wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180981311980&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

I don;t want to here and negative comments as my wallet has not yet come to terms with 60$ shipping :(
    Thats serious dough for something that, I assume, is a Nes on a chip, that just uses the Snes power supply and av out, at those prices maybe a famiclone would have been better?
    The money you could have just bought a Famicom, there's a guy in Ballymun who sells converters so you can play your Nes collection on the Famicom as well....

However, I hope the device you bought does everything you hope it does, let us know, I love to be proved wrong as proved right, always learn something new!

Master of the Universe

You spent $110 on that????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thats serious dough for something that, I assume, is a Nes on a chip, that just uses the Snes power supply and av out, at those prices maybe a famiclone would have been better?

Doesn't even use the AV port of the SNES. It's a Famiclone powered by the cart slot and can act as a passthrough for SNES games. SNES games output into the device and out again through the devices AV port so think of how awfu the signal will be when it reaches your TV.

Seems like a particularly poor Famiclone as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_%28video_game_accessory%29

Cancel the purchase now.

lol

I've read a good few reviews and youtube reviews and it seems pretty good. My Super Famicom & Super Nintendos are in MUCH better condition than my NES consoles and I think it'll work out well. There is a small mod you can do to the adapter to improve NES video.

Shipping is mad expensive on it but afaik it's heavy and ebay was the only place I could find it.

lol

I've read a good few reviews and youtube reviews and it seems pretty good. My Super Famicom & Super Nintendos are in MUCH better condition than my NES consoles and I think it'll work out well. There is a small mod you can do to the adapter to improve NES video.

Shipping is mad expensive on it but afaik it's heavy and ebay was the only place I could find it.

You would have got an actual US Nes though for that money

EnterNow wrote: »
    You would have got an actual US Nes though for that money

I have a us nes.

I got a US NES for 40 shipped. 40 dollars. You can get a Famicom for that money as well.

It's madness.

Also you'll find a lot of youtube reviewers don't know what the hell they are talking about. There's loads of youtube reviews about how amazing famiclones are when they are utter dirt. I'd try cancelling that transaction, seriously even RAGE wouldn't rip you off that much and the shipping is a joke, the thing really isn't that big.

Master of the Universe

I have a us nes.

Then at the risk of asking a stupid question, what the hell made you go for one of these? As retr0 said, you'd get a Famicom for that money too...

Master of the Universe

I think he was looking for something to play Famicom carts on due to the pin difference? Isn't there a pretty simple pass through adapter to play them on a US NES?

Best to go with a real famicom anyway due to the extra sound chips on the carts.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think he was looking for something to play Famicom carts on due to the pin difference? Isn't there a pretty simple pass through adapter to play them on a US NES?

Best to go with a real famicom anyway due to the extra sound chips on the carts.

Ah I see

• Advertisement

There's lots of pin converters on ebay that are very cheap.

I think we have to acknowledge that we've lost this one, and the OP asked that we didn't point out his folly, which we have!
    Shall we leave it alone now?

o1s1n wrote: »

I was initially looking for a 60 to 70 pin Adapter to put Famicom carts In the US NES. Then Started looking At clones.

My Us NES is annoying at times when getting games working. The Super 8 is a little Retro and will allow my US NES to stay young for longer. Ive a region modded SNES with 50/60 hz switch that should be up to the task.

Just trying to help by suggesting he should cancel the transaction if he still can.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just trying to help by suggesting he should cancel the transaction if he still can.
    I totally appreciate all the comments. If it works like I expect then ill be happy. I'm a little less confident now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pity you go that thing. I'm sticking one of my mint famicoms up on adverts later, AV modded as well as the controller mod :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Steve SI wrote: »
    Pity you go that thing. I'm sticking one of my mint famicoms up on adverts later, AV modded as well as the controller mod :o

would that be literally just plug and play then, or is there other stuff required?

Way to ruin my Sunday night ! ;)

I'm happy enough with the purchase. My daughter is 6 and she loves to play on the SNES and NES and she isn't exactly delicate when it comes to swapping games around. The NES(s) will get a break.

Interested in a swap ? I've no idea what you are looking for in terms of cash but I've a few things that might interest you.

I've a Jap 360 on adverts right now for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

Anyone know why I've started to collect Famicom games ? :confused:

I think I just like the colourful carts but I can't be sure :)

Anyway, so I've got like 36 NES carts (PAL & NTSC) for my PAL and NTSC NESs.

I don't own a Famicom and they seem quite tricky to get. I bought 6 boxed Famicom games and they look SOOOOoooo lovely. I've another 7 (unboxed) on the way.

Is ebay the way to go here or is there something better ? How much would I be looking at for decent Famicom console ?

I love collecting Famicom games, I have the likes of Somari ( a port of sonic 1 but with Mario instead on the Famicom), and Kart fighter ( Mario kart/ street fighter) one thing I recommend doing if you have a few carts get an old cassette holder, I have one and it fits about 12 carts perfectly oh and everyone needs to get Kirby on Famicom it's on a lovely pink cartridge :)

Advertisement