Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

So Coleman Slawski you seem to know what you are talking about. who would you recommend?
    I'm not looking for anything fancy, my car is 13 y/o and I barely drive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Try a couple of brokers, Chill.ie or First Ireland for example. They will do most of the work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Renewal is coming up soon and am wondering what companies provide 3rd party extension to under 22's ?

I presume you mean driving other cars?

None that Im aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I presume you mean driving other cars?

None that Im aware of.

I had it through Britton's from the age of 22

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    One less competitive insurer is not good news for the consumer, though I agree RSA brought it on themselves

It will be the same as when Quinn left the market (well, altered their position)
    They were another like RSA. It is a pity the cheap ones leave. (Cheaper, not cheap :P )

I had it through Britton's from the age of 22

How long ago was that though and who was the insurer?

Axa offered it up til around July 2012 for drivers under 25 but pulled the plug then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I have been named driver for years, one car family and if was cheaper for the wife to be the primary insured. Previous to that I had a maximum no claims policy.

We're about to become a two car family. Insurer is quoting quite high for the run-around car that I will be the primary insured person. What's the best way to organise from a financial perspective. Can my wife be the primary insured person on both, and me a named driver on both? I know insurance companies used to give no claims value for the named person and/or previous years as no claims when the primary.

At the moment the quote for me on a 2002 1litre car is more expensive than for her on a 2010 car worth 18k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ring around. It's either AXA or Allianz who should consider your named driver experience and potentially convert to an NCB.

Call them.

Your wife can in theory be the primrary driver on both however her NCB will only extend to one of the policies which will probably make it financially unviable.

How long ago was that though and who was the insurer?

Axa offered it up til around July 2012 for drivers under 25 but pulled the plug then.

it was a few years ago alright, 2009 I think.
    The insurer was a UK one, think it was lloyds asgard or something like that.

• Advertisement

I have been named driver for years, one car family and if was cheaper for the wife to be the primary insured. Previous to that I had a maximum no claims policy.

We're about to become a two car family. Insurer is quoting quite high for the run-around car that I will be the primary insured person. What's the best way to organise from a financial perspective. Can my wife be the primary insured person on both, and me a named driver on both? I know insurance companies used to give no claims value for the named person and/or previous years as no claims when the primary.

At the moment the quote for me on a 2002 1litre car is more expensive than for her on a 2010 car worth 18k.

Most insurers will offer you what's known as an introductory bonus once you can provide proof of the claims free driving experience and some will allow a second car discount. Try calling a brokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Just on 123.ie

I see today that one of the top bananas resigned due to the problems in the Irish wing of RSA, their share price dropped a whopping 16% and a further £130,000,000 sterling has been injected into it.

123 customers should prepare for whopper increases when they get their renewal notices.

As someone that has come up against 123 when quoting customers countless times, and has tried to explain to the public just why they were so cheap, I can't help but snigger at the current revelations.
    elleelle19 wrote: »
    Got my renewal from 123.ie and it has increased by 42% from last year. quickly checked a couple of sites, chill etc and got higher quote than last year too. What is going on? :eek::confused:

Funnily enough, I just renewed my home insurance today, and 123 came up with the best quote for the first time in a few years, so they got my home insurance business now.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Question re - Named Driver facility:

Does this entitle the named driver to insurance cover on that specific vehicle only?

OR

Is the named driver extended the same coverage as the main policy holder (ie fully comp on that vehicle AND THIRD PARTY ON OTHER VEHICLES)?

Thanks

Named drivers are covered to only drive the vehicle they are named on.

They do not get driving of other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

So, I'm having trouble getting insurance due to having an accident at a time when I did not have insurance cover

Terrible oversight arising as a result of misunderstanding with prior provider... and thanking lucky stars no personal injury to anyone else - damage to my vehicle only.

Anyway - now having difficulty getting insurance.
    Are there providers who specialize in "non standard" cases?

Thanks

Try XS Direct and a good broker(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I don't want to duplicate the thread but I'm buying my first car in the next two weeks..will be something cheap like 1.0 ltr micra.where would you recommend.im doing lessons so will have my full license hopefully in two months

skinny90 wrote: »
    I don't want to duplicate the thread but I'm buying my first car in the next two weeks..will be something cheap like 1.0 ltr micra.where would you recommend.im doing lessons so will have my full license hopefully in two months

For insurance?

A broker and the yellow pages / Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

i've written off my car on ice last week ,the assessor is coming to look at it tomorrow, my concern is that my tyres were below the legal limit ,
    well at least two of them ,
    can my insurance company void my claim ?
    or will conditions overrule this as it wasnt the main contributing factor ....
    the claim will only be for around 1500 so will they bother fighting me over it ?

I'm not trying to be smart, genuinely not but you lost control of your car and don't think that below limit tyres will be seen as a factor?

Brace yourself because there's a good chance that they won't honour your claim.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart, genuinely not but you lost control of your car and don't think that below limit tyres will be seen as a factor?

Cheers I kinda figured that but sure we'll see what happens either way I walked away from a wreck without a scrape so not that bothered

Cheers I kinda figured that but sure we'll see what happens either way I walked away from a wreck without a scrape so not that bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Consider yourself very, very lucky that no-one else was injured or killed as a result of your dodgy tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Anyone have any experience with BoxyMo?

Have a provisional license with no experience and want to be insured on a 1.2L Punto. They have given me a quote of 800 Euro compared to 1800 from some of the others.

Catch is, 5000Km max for the year and a telematics box is put into the car to track speed etc.

I have never driven before and it could be good incentive to actually stick to all speed limits etc.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Consider yourself very, very lucky that no-one else was injured or killed as a result of your dodgy tyres.
    :rolleyes:
    Anyone have any experience with BoxyMo?

Have a provisional license with no experience and want to be insured on a 1.2L Punto. They have given me a quote of 800 Euro compared to 1800 from some of the others.

If you're on a provisional and assuming that you're not going to be driving alone then is there much point? Would being named on your parents cars not be an option?

If you're planning on driving alone then you're only really fooling yourself. Something goes south and you could end up in a bit of bother.

As for BoxyMo, it's all down to preference. If you're happy to be monitored and if you're happy to have Big Brother watching you all the time and be limited to 5k then go for it ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

:rolleyes:

If you're on a provisional and assuming that you're not going to be driving alone then is there much point? Would being named on your parents cars not be an option?

If you're planning on driving alone then you're only really fooling yourself. Something goes south and you could end up in a bit of bother.

As for BoxyMo, it's all down to preference. If you're happy to be monitored and if you're happy to have Big Brother watching you all the time and be limited to 5k then go for it ! :)

Well thats the thing, I need to do the 12 lessons and in reality needs loads of practise in between I assume. The only car actually insured is my Dads 2L Mondeo, which I wont get on. Besides I am in college away from home so really its the only option I can see.

Fair enough. It's not a bad deal. It's quite intrusive (a bit too much for me) but in the spirit of learning to drive then it suits your needs. :)

Plus I'd presume they could use the device as an anti theft device should somebody steal her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

2 months to the day of my accident and my case is still not resolved, what a shower of crooks.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    2 months to the day of my accident and my case is still not resolved, what a shower of crooks.

Why are they crooks?

Its obviously not a straightforward claim or there is some ambiguity in relation to it for it to be outstanding after 2 months tbh.

• Advertisement

It's very straight forward. The OP is being led a merry dance.

Advertisement