Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

garrettod wrote: »
    Possibly, but the flip side of that coin is that you are protected against further increses in Year 2 - be they in the industry in general, or perhaps (depending on the policy terms) as a result of your own circumstances changing.
    That is the logic for the driver: insulation from increases in insurance (the radio adverts say even if you have claims). For the insurance company, there's the advantage that they'll have less churn, which is a significant cost in terms of re-selling insurance to people every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Foleybob

Hey, Does my companies vehicle insurance (I drive a company Van) cover me to drive other private vehicles e.g my girlfriends car? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Foleybob wrote: »
    Hey, Does my companies vehicle insurance (I drive a company Van) cover me to drive other private vehicles e.g my girlfriends car? Thanks.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Last year I claimed for a new windshield from my insurance. This year, 123.ie have put it down in my claims history. They tell me it doesnt affect my no claims bonus, as stated in my policy, but i believe it impacts my insurance in some way. One of the lads in work says ill be stung when i try to change insurance company.

Anyone else have experience of this nonsence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Dempsey wrote: »
    Last year I claimed for a new windshield from my insurance. This year, 123.ie have put it down in my claims history. They tell me it doesnt affect my no claims bonus, as stated in my policy, but i believe it impacts my insurance in some way. One of the lads in work says ill be stung when i try to change insurance company.

Anyone else have experience of this nonsence?

It is a claim, but most insurers will disregard it when quoting. Some Insurers only allow 1 windscreen claim per year on their policies, some say max 2 in a 3 year period etc. If your paperwork showed a potential insurer that you exceeded that number it might be a problem, but with 1 you should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

Does anyone know cheap insurance company for Learner Permit holder 28yrs old adult, first time driver with 1L car nissan micra 2001, never drive before? Been getting quotes like 5k, 4k, too expensive. Looking for something like 1k or less??

It is a claim, but most insurers will disregard it when quoting. Some Insurers only allow 1 windscreen claim per year on their policies, some say max 2 in a 3 year period etc. If your paperwork showed a potential insurer that you exceeded that number it might be a problem, but with 1 you should be fine

+1 it's standard practice.
    Have seen just the same with Axa, shows "1 year claim free" while giving 7 years NCB, and then the claim is listed and it's the glass-claim. Even the online quote engines of most insurers provide mechanism to enter that claim and it's not material when looking for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

20784 wrote: »
    Does anyone know cheap insurance company for Learner Permit holder 28yrs old adult, first time driver with 1L car nissan micra 2001, never drive before? Been getting quotes like 5k, 4k, too expensive. Looking for something like 1k or less??
    get full license that should drop you into around 2k zone and then start looking trough brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

scamalert wrote: »
    get full license that should drop you into around 2k zone and then start looking trough brokers.

Can't find any :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Any northern Ireland companies quoting for car insurance?
    My motorcycle is insured up north, and I had a classic policy before. But a main driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Quick question lads insurance is up and all i want to do is renew it with current
    company.

Only problem i see is when i check the policy online my car comes up as a s-line spec a4 mine is only a se edition does this really matter can i just ignore it or should i ring up and change it

crasy dash wrote: »
    Quick question lads insurance is up and all i want to do is renew it with current
    company.

Only problem i see is when i check the policy online my car comes up as a s-line spec a4 mine is only a se edition does this really matter can i just ignore it or should i ring up and change it

Presumably you are through a broker and they manually entered the details at inception?

For the sake of good order it should be altered.

The last thing you want in the event of a claim is questions to be asked about the vehicle type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Not through a broker direct ,rang them about twenty min later located the correct spec.

Had the car down as 170bhp sline slight difference to the 120 it is.

Premium was reduced by about 40 euro so I'm not complaining as you said just for peace of mind its better to have it right.

crasy dash wrote: »
    Not through a broker direct ,rang them about twenty min later located the correct spec.

Had the car down as 170bhp sline slight difference to the 120 it is.

Premium was reduced by about 40 euro so I'm not complaining as you said just for peace of mind its better to have it right.

Sweet, always nice to get an unexpected reduction!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

anyone knows this insurance company?? https://www.clements.com/portals/europe

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

Quick question that I think seems to be a bit of a grey area....

I'm hoping to move to Scotland in September, and have just paid through the nose to insure my car for the year. (don't get me started, its an old car...)

As far as I know, I'm insured to drive it in the UK for up to 30 days. But....if I were to stay longer than 30 days, how are they to know? Assuming I had an accident, how can they prove how long I've been out of Ireland for? I'm really curious about this as the ferry seems like quite the pain in the arse do be doing monthly....and expensive too. :/ Also, how long would I have to go back to Ireland for in order to get a new 30 days?

If anyone has any experience on this, please do let me know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

anyone knows this insurance company?? https://www.clements.com/portals/europe

Yes. I had insurance with them until I left Ireland. Now I'm coming back and going to use them again for insurance. Keep in mind they only do expat insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I'm hoping to move to Scotland in September, and have just paid through the nose to insure my car for the year. (don't get me started, its an old car...)

As far as I know, I'm insured to drive it in the UK for up to 30 days. But....if I were to stay longer than 30 days, how are they to know? Assuming I had an accident, how can they prove how long I've been out of Ireland for? I'm really curious about this as the ferry seems like quite the pain in the arse do be doing monthly....and expensive too. :/ Also, how long would I have to go back to Ireland for in order to get a new 30 days?

If they have a 30 day limit it would be for a fully comprehensive basis which they can limit if in the T&Cs, some will extend this upon request, but after that third party would apply for the entire period of the policy.

You also need to bear in mind conditions of re-registration of your car etc if you are moving permanently.

They can't unless someone reports you or you have a claim.

You will however be breaching the terms and conditions of your policy.

Any change to material fact such as where the vehicle is primarily kept / used must be advised to your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

I should mention that I'd only be going to Scotland for college for two years, so would be back and forth a lot. It would not be a permanent move. I'm currently on third party fire and theft.

I now look at UK reg cars here in Dublin and wonder how long they can get away with being here for....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I now look at UK reg cars here in Dublin and wonder how long they can get away with being here for....!

If they are students then there is no problem with the reg, there may still be question of whether the insurance company has a mistaken impression of where the car is located.

Under EU regs your policy is valid throughout the EU, but the fire and theft elements might be at risk.

I should mention that I'd only be going to Scotland for college for two years, so would be back and forth a lot. It would not be a permanent move. I'm currently on third party fire and theft.

If you are in Scotland for more than 180 days per year then it is classed as a permanent move (even for example if you returned to Ireland for weekends, term time etc.).

There is no limit on third party driving abroad in the EU, but as pointed out main area of use/area car is kept is a material fact which will change.

Also note that whilst your car is in the UK you need to keep it taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

GM228 wrote: »
    If you are in Scotland for more than 180 days per year then it is classed as a permanent move (even for example if you returned to Ireland for weekends, term time etc.).

This is not true if the OP is a student. A student is presumed to have moved for the duration of their course, no more.

This is not true if the OP is a student. A student is presumed to have moved for the duration of their course, no more.

It is true, (according to the UK government - always thought the same as you but the UK government disagree), it's the law here alright but not in the UK, in the UK it applies to non-EU students only according to them:-

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports
    Students and workers
    You may be able to use a vehicle with non-UK number plates for longer than a 6-month period, without taxing or registering it, if all the following apply:

you’re a student or worker
    you normally live outside the EU
    you’re in the UK for a set study or work period
    the vehicle is registered in its home country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If they are faced with a payout to you, or a large payout to someone else as a result of your driving, they may well invest some resources to find out exactly what did happen. It's amazing what CCTV or ticket sales or other records can be available when they go digging. No-one is untrackable.

As Clint used to say, do you feel lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Just insured my first car, 266 euros a month

Me:
    31 years old
    10 years license
    No ncb in Ireland and my Dutch one didn't count

Car:
    2002 Volvo S40 1.8

Insurance:
    - third party

No sites could insure me, champion insurance even gave me a 5500 euro quote for it.

Asmooh wrote: »
    Just insured my first car, 266 euros a month

Me:
    31 years old
    10 years license
    No ncb in Ireland and my Dutch one didn't count

Car:
    2002 Volvo S40 1.8

Insurance:
    - third party

No sites could insure me, champion insurance even gave me a 5500 euro quote for it.
    Thought for a second it was 266 a year, and thought that was great. Savage price all the same.

Might not help, but have you exchanged your Dutch licence for an Irish one? I did test in Ireland, had licence, then moved abroad in Europe, and exchanged for licence in that country. Later (5 years) moved back to Ireland, and stuck on the foreign licence for a few years. Finally swapped it this year, and it made a big difference to my premium which had jumped this year (Axa). In your case you'll be different as you'll have earned your licence in NL, but still might be worth asking insurer (or asking in run up to renewal date next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

No ncb in Ireland and my Dutch one didn't count ...

That is disgraceful.

We are supposed to be in an open market economy, where EU businesses can trade in other member states, so why can't your no claims be accepted between EU member states also (assuming sufficient evidence can be produced to confirm your no claims) ?

I would get on to both the Irish & Dutch Regulators about this, not to mention some of the consumer groups.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Thought for a second it was 266 a year, and thought that was great. Savage price all the same.

Might not help, but have you exchanged your Dutch licence for an Irish one?[/v] I did test in Ireland, had licence, then moved abroad in Europe, and exchanged for licence in that country. Later (5 years) moved back to Ireland, and stuck on the foreign licence for a few years. Finally swapped it this year, and it made a big difference to my premium which had jumped this year (Axa). In your case you'll be different as you'll have earned your licence in NL, but still might be worth asking insurer (or asking in run up to renewal date next year).

Yes I did :) the problem is also that this is my first RHD car in a RHD left driven country.. which is "more risk"

garrettod wrote: »
    That is disgraceful.

We are supposed to be in an open market economy, where EU businesses can trade in other member states, so why can't your no claims be accepted between EU member states also (assuming sufficient evidence can be produced to confirm your no claims) ?

I would get on to both the Irish & Dutch Regulators about this, not to mention some of the consumer groups.

I think its more work than its really worth..

AIB quote after 1 year NCB (S40 1.8, same I have now)

Third party, fire & theft cover
    you pay 1,814.67
    or
    12 monthly payments of 151.22

This is INSANE!

I switched the the following car with 1 year NCB

VOLVO C70 - 06D58362, 2.4 liter
    you pay 1,387.17
    or
    12 monthly payments of 115.59

So a 2.4 liter is better than a 1.8 because its from 2006?

or:

2005 Volvo S40 1.8

you pay 1,524.74
    or
    12 monthly payments of 127.06

but this one
    is outside the insurance range... (2006 S40 2.4)

So I guess its going to be a C70 next year ;)

edit: I see the S40 2.4 does 0-100 in 9,9 while the C70 does 0-100 in 11.. that might be the reason why the C70 is cheaper, my current S40 does 10,5 so maybe the C70 is even cheaper? dunno.. weird country

big edit, it can be even worse!

I did a quote for the C70 2.4 without NCB (same as my current 1.8)

you pay 2,447.06
    or
    12 monthly payments of 203.92

This costs 63 euro less! a month!..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Yes I did :) the problem is also that this is my first RHD car in a RHD left driven country.. which is "more risk"

I think its more work than its really worth....

Hi,

The right hand drive does deserve some small consideration, but it's not that significant when we consider the amount of people who hire cars and drive them regularly, outside of the UK & Ireland. Also, let us not forget that insurance companeis who underwrite insurance outside of Ireland and the UK often conveniently refer to insurance losses outside of those two jurisdictions, when trying to justify their quotes for higher insurance premiums.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement