Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Gooners wrote: »
    My insurance is due for renewal this week. I also need money for college for two kids. My insurance company does not facilitate payments spread out over the year. Can anyone recommend a company that does? Thanks.

Try Aviva,
    they have a good online offer at the moment,they have come in at the cheapest for me for the last two years.
    Also I wrote my car off a couple of months ago and they were brilliant to deal with, got a very quick settlement and a decent price for the car

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jimgoose wrote: »
    I got my renewal today from AXA, and be ye warned that there was a leaflet inside setting out changes to the standard driving-other-cars extension, the most significant of which is now the engine size limit of 2,000cc, down from 2,500cc. I had to give them a few thumps this morning over the renewal price, but I will be "discussing" this with them as well, later in the week. :pac:

Right. I was just on the phone to a nice lady at AXA, and she explained to me that, according to the underwriter, there is no engine size limit on the driving-other-cars extension when third-party only cover applies to the aforementioned "other cars". If however comprehensive cover, which is available to AXA customers of longer than three years, applies, there is an engine size limit of 2,000cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanvtec

Well lads:),

Question I don't know if Im in the right place but can anybody tell me is there any car insurance company that covers the driving of other motorcycles provided it is not in your name ? I remember years ago I had a policy that stated I could drive motorcycles but that was about 6 years at this stage and I cannot for the life of me remember the company. Any help would be much appreciated:D.

Regards

Alan Costelloe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Alanvtec wrote: »
    Well lads:),

Question I don't know if Im in the right place but can anybody tell me is there any car insurance company that covers the driving of other motorcycles provided it is not in your name ? I remember years ago I had a policy that stated I could drive motorcycles but that was about 6 years at this stage and I cannot for the life of me remember the company. Any help would be much appreciated:D.

Regards

Alan Costelloe

There are virtually no insurers in Ireland that cover motorcycles, never mind cover driving of other motorcycles under a car policy.

:confused:

Quinn Direct did some mad stuff in their day so perhaps it was them. Ive been working in insurance for almost 6 years and its something Ive never encountered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanvtec

There are virtually no insurers in Ireland that cover motorcycles, never mind cover driving of other motorcycles under a car policy.

:confused:

Quinn Direct did some mad stuff in their day so perhaps it was them. Ive been working in insurance for almost 6 years and its something Ive never encountered anyway.

Nice one ya rang alot of insurance companies yesterday and thats exactly the answer i got, sound for the reply :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

NATLOR wrote: »
    Try Aviva,
    they have a good online offer at the moment,they have come in at the cheapest for me for the last two years.
    Also I wrote my car off a couple of months ago and they were brilliant to deal with, got a very quick settlement and a decent price for the car

Thanks for this, Natlor. Axa are doing it monthly and €80 cheaper. :D

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Apparently Zurich took on a lot of new motor business last year & suffered a bit of a hammering which thye're now regretting, so quotes to current customers (me included) may well be deliberately pricey to reduce their exposure accordingly.

Ha! They weren't too keen to take me on last year, after giving the previous few years duking it out with RSA via a broker for my custom! :)

There are virtually no insurers in Ireland that cover motorcycles...

For the record, there are four: Adelaide, AON, Carole Nash and Liberty Motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

Just realised Jimgoose suggested Axa. Fair play, mate. Well done.

Gooners wrote: »
    Just realised Jimgoose suggested Axa. Fair play, mate. Well done.

Cocaine and hoors to the usual P.O. box, please.

• Advertisement

For the record, there are four: Adelaide, AON, Carole Nash and Liberty Motor.

This just in: Principal Insurance now quoting Irish motorcyclists.

http://www.principalinsurance.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hi Folks, need a little bit of advice here. I have an A4, 1.6Petrol, 4dr, 01reg in my property, living in Nort Co Dublin (P'marnock) area and been insured (with the Mrs as named driver. We're aged 36 and 35, both working professionals). I've a full EU driving licence for more than 10yrs, so does the better half. We're in the ROI for 7yrs and have irish reg'd car and full comprehensive motor insurance since 2009 (first victim was a Punto MK2). For years I was with Aviva (got discount as my private healthcare was with them, too

Last year I've moved to 25plus.ie (AIG maybe?) who quoted me a bit less than 500€, all mod cons, wife included. My insurance policy is due for renewal on 21/05/2015 and as good foot soldiers, they've sent me their quote for the next insurance year for the same A4, which is 432€/yrs.

Just over this weekend I happened to be available to trade in the A4 into an 07 Avensis (Strata, 1.6Petrol) and will be picking up the newcomer Tuesday evening. I was bold enough to think I can update the car on my current policy or get a quote from 25plus.ie on the new reg, but the computer said no...fair enough so far, maybe I'm really over the window their system would let me to swap the car on the existing policy.

Obviously, read the FAQ and started to shop around - online at the first try - but the quotes (aviva, liberty, 123) I've got so far are shocking...cheapest would be Liberty with their cca 950 quid a year...rest is generally in the 1100-1300 range.

Can't ring 25plus on Sundays but will 2morrow the first thing in the morning, but is it real a younger and more roadworthy car would cost me around a grand/year to insure? This doesn't make any sense tbh..If it matters the A4 worth about 2grand when I've moved from Aviva to 25plus, the Avensis was 5.5k with trade in. Update1: chill gave me the cheapest so far, 873/yr (KennCo Choice policy)

Any recommendation would be more than welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Balinov wrote: »
    Just over this weekend I happened to be available to trade in the A4 into an 07 Avensis (Strata, 1.6Petrol) and will be picking up the newcomer Tuesday evening. I was bold enough to think I can update the car on my current policy or get a quote from 25plus.ie on the new reg, but the computer said no...fair enough so far, maybe I'm really over the window their system would let me to swap the car on the existing policy.

What do you mean they refused to swap the car? Was this over the phone or online? I don't know anything about the avensis strata but it may have a poorer rating in terms of safety or claims or it may be the specific car. Did you get a history report? If it has unpaid tax, nct, been declared a writeoff its going to be very highly rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

What do you mean they refused to swap the car? Was this over the phone or online? I don't know anything about the avensis strata but it may have a poorer rating in terms of safety or claims or it may be the specific car. Did you get a history report? If it has unpaid tax, nct, been declared a writeoff its going to be very highly rated.

Hi Folks, all sorted. Could swap online as the renewal date was too close to the current date, but gave a ring yesterday and a very professional customer service rep of 25plus sorted all for me. Still don't know if they managed to quote me (and the mrs as named driver) with a full comprehensive just a bit over 450€ how come the others were twice as expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Just got renewal quote.
    After a tree falling on the car while I was driving in January and writing the car off, I was expecting to see a jump in the policy price. Renewal has gone from c€850 to €2400. Seems a bit rich considering the accident wasn't my fault.
    Quote via chill with policy via Kenn Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

And were Kenn Co the underwriter for the policy which had the claim against it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

They seem to do great deals on the Web for new customers, but bear in mind you'll have to give them a few slaps next year, because they will try it on. :pac:

Might be just me but I was quoted over twice the amount by them as 25plus.ie going as a new customer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Hi, hope this is the right place but I am just wondering if anyone knows whether there is a time limit on when you need to claim windscreen replacement? My boyfriend and bringing his car in for the NCT next week and there is a pretty big crack on the passenger side of the windscreen which needs to be done first. Thing is it has been there for a few months now. So I want to know will there be any hassle from the insurance company (AXA) because it happened a while a go. If so, would he get away with saying it happened a few weeks a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

hairycakes wrote: »
    Hi, hope this is the right place but I am just wondering if anyone knows whether there is a time limit on when you need to claim windscreen replacement? My boyfriend and bringing his car in for the NCT next week and there is a pretty big crack on the passenger side of the windscreen which needs to be done first. Thing is it has been there for a few months now. So I want to know will there be any hassle from the insurance company (AXA) because it happened a while a go. If so, would he get away with saying it happened a few weeks a go.

The amount of time the crack is there makes no difference at all,you don't even have to deal directly with the insurance company.You just give your policy details to the glass company (just check they are approved by your insurance company) and they take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Brilliant, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

NATLOR wrote: »
    The amount of time the crack is there makes no difference at all,you don't even have to deal directly with the insurance company.You just give your policy details to the glass company (just check they are approved by your insurance company) and they take it from there

AXA now want you to register windscreen claims with them first before you use the approved repairer. Most others are as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Just checking around and 25plus.ie is the cheapest by a country mile.
    It was half the price of chill who ive been with up until now

600 vs 1290 on a 645 bmw with 6 years no claims.
    Now in fairness 600 is bonkers cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

aig xlnt driver (€456) or 25plus.ie extra(€442)?

which one has a better customer service department? the xlnt app wouldn't bother me much, but probably better without it...

30yr old m, 5 years no claims, 151 1liter car, 3 penalty points

currently with allianz but i was rewarded with a quote of €650...

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

25 plus is cheaper and doesnt have big brother watching, no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭cson

I assume quotes are up this year? €705 from €550 thank you very much Zurich. A year older, wiser and claims & pp free.

And I'd imagine ringing around will beat the online quotes? - Aviva are giving me €650 so I guess the starting point is to ring them all and see who can beat it?

cson wrote: »
    I assume quotes are up this year?...

Well, mine was €510 last year with AXA - things got a little complicated in the middle of the year as I added a young Fobbling Wedgling as a named driver - and they wanted €525 this year. The resulting conversation went something like this:

Chungwan at AXA: Hello, what can I do you for?!?

jimgoose: Yes, hello. About this quote of yours - I have deep religious issues with paying more than five hundert brick for it at this hour of my life, regardless of who's on it.

CaA: OK - how about €490?

jg: Rather better.

CaA: OK. Do you want breakdown cover?

jg: How much is that?

CaA: €30

jg: Hmm. How are we going to stay under that magic €500 at that rate??

CaA: Here's what I'll do: €495, breakdown cover included. Cuttin' me own throat here, I am like.

jg: Dale, bass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My policy is up for renewal in about a month, so have just done a few John Doe online quotes - wow is all I can say. Massive increases all round! They should call it a no claims penalty at this stage :(

Myrddin wrote: »
    My policy is up for renewal in about a month, so have just done a few John Doe online quotes - wow is all I can say. Massive increases all round! They should call it a no claims penalty at this stage :(

That's arse, isn't it. What are you driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's arse, isn't it. What are you driving?

An old Corolla, have to laugh at the €1500+ quote there from 123. Bit of a difference between that and last years €560 from FBD

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    An old Corolla, have to laugh at the €1500+ quote there from 123. Bit of a difference between that and last years €560 from FBD

That's comical, that is. My €495 above is full-comp for a sixteen-year old Jag the size of a yacht. :pac:

Advertisement