Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaming the current governmant?

Options
2»

Comments

People be dumb. After the last FF poll topping i've changed emigration from an option to a reality i'm actively pursuing.

For every person who wants whats best for the WHOLE country, there are 5 who are unable to see past their own petty personal situations. Selfish country, with a selfish electorate who thinks that everyone else should pay for their own mistakes and shortcomings. Nobody is ever held responsible for anything and i just pity the good people of this nation who keep to themselves and quietly work towards a better tomorrow, because as i've said, this country is full of people who cant even envisage a better tomorrow; They just want want want right now and they want you (or as they would put it: 'The government') to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

tbh i seen no real difference between fianna fail and fine geal

both parties lied to the people, took bribes from developers, took big pensions from tax payers, and ran up big expense bills that the tax payer must pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

seamus wrote: »
    Labour only promised not to re-introduce 3rd level fees.

They haven't been re-introduced right? 3rd level is still mostly free isn't it?

They promised no increase on the student contribution.I has been raised by increasing the fee over three years from 2250-3000.It has already forced some to surrender their education.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pmcmahon wrote: »
    They promised no increase on the student contribution.
    I know I'm being nitpicky, but just for example's sake, can you provide a link which backs this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Most people who whine about 'broken promises' are Grade-A idiots to believe them in the first place.
    It was an election campaign - politicians will say pretty much anything to get your vote.

It's depressing that their vote is accorded the same weight as my own.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I know I'm being nitpicky, but just for example's sake, can you provide a link which backs this up?

Student contribution has gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

krudler wrote: »
    but then on the flipside, what was the alternative? keep the same imbeciles who ran the place into the ground? can't win as a voter here, one group of fcukwits is replaced with another, and round it goes.
    The people need to be more educated and involved in the day to day business of their local community. Having hundreds of eyes watching the people doing the work will keep them more honest. The wages should be drastically cut so that there's no social divide between regular people and elected officials. If more people understand what's going on in government there will be less of an expertise excuse from the people doing the job.

Even if that requires people dedicating a day of their week to affairs of the state I don't think that's too much to ask from the citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They are worse than the last shower of imbeciles. They promised all sorts in the run up the election and have failed to deliver on one single promise they made. They are totally to blame. Enda Kenny is a smarmy little brown nosed shiite that panders to Europe at every opportunity. He has no integrity or back bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ScumLord wrote: »
    The people need to be more educated and involved in the day to day business of their local community. Having hundreds of eyes watching the people doing the work will keep them more honest. The wages should be drastically cut so that there's no social divide between regular people and elected officials. If more people understand what's going on in government there will be less of an expertise excuse from the people doing the job.

Even if that requires people dedicating a day of their week to affairs of the state I don't think that's too much to ask from the citizens.

Ain't nobody got time fo that!

Really though I agree but this is Ireland, we whinge and do nothing, and I include myself in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

CJC999 wrote: »
    They are worse than the last shower of imbeciles. They promised all sorts in the run up the election and have failed to deliver on one single promise they made. They are totally to blame. Enda Kenny is a smarmy little brown nosed shiite that panders to Europe at every opportunity. He has no integrity or back bone.

and Micheal Martin is different because...oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

tbh i seen no real difference between fianna fail and fine geal

both parties lied to the people, took bribes from developers, took big pensions from tax payers, and ran up big expense bills that the tax payer must pay for.
    FF are in a whole other league when it comes to corruption. Oh and they also completely destroyed the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I got a leaflet through the letterbox this week from Derek Nolan TD, it was the first time I'd read something from a member of the current Government where there wasn't some snide comment about the previous Government. It's true that FF took the actions that ruined our economy, but I despised the way the current Government tried to use them as a yardstick.

Its been nearly two years, and clearly people are forgetting about the squandering done by FF. Without the familiar faces (Ahern/Cowen/Lenihan) FF are going to find it easier than you'd think to portray themselves as a regenerated party and harvest votes.

Fair play to Derek Nolan talking about the present, and the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Do you really think if any other party was in power it would be different?
    Again most of the agreements made now are a result of no other choices.
    It is very easy to make promises until you see the figures. Once you get the information you can't fulfil the promises. Do you think we could have got a much better deal? They couldn't ignore promises made in the state's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ScumLord wrote: »
    People are redirecting their anger onto other people so they don't have to look at themselves.

This is a democracy, the people are in charge so the fault ultimately rests at the feet of each and every citizen of this country.

No, this is a Republic, so the people are represented by the people in charge, who don't necessarily do what we want/expect them to do.

It's the fault of all major political parties who have been in power in the past few decades. They all were playing up to Corporations and Banks. Simple as. You can't lay it at one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Where To wrote: »
    I could write a longwinded answer but there's no need.

The general public are knobs, always have been, always will be.

Agreed , sure look at poor Enda getting all teared up the other day.

'Ah look how much Enda really cares , isn't he a great lad'

Once Enda gets home to his luxury house and wipes off the crocadile tears he'll care about one thing , having a nice scotch and a smile knowing he's just bagged a few more votes with his oscar winning performance of ' Enda...an Apology full of crap'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Endy kenny before power:

Its wrong to tax somebody on their home AND Claiming they will burn the bond holders

ahhhh hows that going for ya enda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Totally to blame for what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Hard to blame the current government for everything in my eyes, they have inherited the greatest mess that any peace time government has ever had to deal with. People just seem to want want want with no ability to see any distance down the road. I see trade union's looking for more money today, while they can't seem to ask the question whether it would be better to take a hit now and still have a job in a year or get more cash now and then bang their fists and whinge when the cash needs to be cut next time by letting off jobs.
    The Government of our small country can't control the world economy, which people seem to forget is what will be the biggest part of things turning around.
    They can't get the European leaders to pull their heads out of their holes and do anything more than half ass gestures and programs, influenced by the same playing up to their own electorate as goes on here.
    They didn't walk into a room with bankers and come out a few hours later with what was essentially an agreement for a sovereign nation to cover private big money gambles.
    They weren't the ones who didn't have the balls or brains to do anything more than tow the line and then go cap in hand in desperation to the IMF. I think the poll should have the option: "They can't be blamed for the mess they inherited, but they could do more to right it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The debt of the country was manageable they did'nt have to agree to pay the debt of a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

It's the catch-22 of democracy; If you always do the right thing, you will be kicked out. If you do the most popular thing instead, no matter how ill-advised, you will continue to be elected.

This is what people mean when they say that voters get the politicians that they deserve - because they vote for the people they like instead of the people who actually try to do the right thing.

+1

Polls over the last couple of weeks confirming and re-confirming that FF are now the most popular party in this country just establish and re-establish how many true idiots there are in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

juice1304 wrote: »
    The debt of the country was manageable they did'nt have to agree to pay the debt of a private company.

Oh the innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Valetta wrote: »
    Oh the innocence.
    Selected ignorence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Like the judge in the Simpsons said to Homer when bestowing the name "Max Power" on him:

I voted for the only option that you managed to spell correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The poll asks if the current government is to blame but doesn't give you any other options

Where does "It doesn't matter who is in power" fit in to the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

oldyouth wrote: »
    Where does "It doesn't matter who is in power" fit in to the question?

What is this "in" word you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

LAB and FG are not good for each other and as a result that collation tends to be weak. However they are still better than the previous shower.

This is what I think we should demand for all future elections:

For a party to run for government they MUST state exactly what they will do. So for the next election each party must state exactly how they will reduce the deficit. Lets say we all expect cuts of 2 billion. The parties must put a program together stating EXACTLY how they will make cuts of up to 3 billion, just to be safe. They should also state how they would invest the same amount in case the economy turns around.

One issue with that is collations, lets say two parties make up our government. They must cut / invest based on the program for government. If this does not happen the government should be null and void and we vote again.

Once the various parties inform the electorate exactly how they will make the cuts I believe that we could potentially have a one party government.

Yes I know they all have their programs for government but instead of wasting that paper it should be a legal document that can be used to hold the government of the day to account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Minoxidil

I'm angry at the current government not because they caused all this. But what they've done since they gained power, or more to the point. What they haven't done. All they've done is prove that politics and politicians in this country are barely competent and are more interested in their careers than doing the right thing for this country.

Worse still the reneged on most of their promises and continue to lie to us. They failed the tackle the public service pay bill, hiding behind Croke Park. Instead the went and cut the most vulnerable. Invented absurd taxes like the household charge and then completely mishandled the genuine protest against it.

Sure they're trying to deal with the PS issue now. But their fear of the unions and their desire to make Ireland look stable means they will compromise and in truth the PS will continue to suck up most of the tax take. Which of course means the rest of us will foot the bill.

But let's not forget where the real blame lies. Fianna Fail. It's shocking to think that people in this country are so stupid that they still support that bunch of incompetent crooks. I'd rather vote Sinn Fein or God help Democratic Unionist!

What did Fianna Fáil do that the other parties wouldn't have?

I don't remember the opposition complaining that the budget wasn't balance in the 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Irish election system works like this:

1. Fianna Fail are in power for 10-15 years, make a balls of the country through unsustainable economic policies.

2. Fine Gael coalition come in and clean up the mess for 1 term. Public not happy with the measures that have to be put in place.

3. Electorate forget about what Fianna Fail had done and vote them in again for another 10-15 years to mess things up again.

This X 10000000000 ... the voting public are either :

a) Idiots
    b) Alzheimer's sufferers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RayCon wrote: »
    This X 10000000000 ... the voting public are either :

a) Idiots
    b) Alzheimer's sufferers
    which one are you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement