Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaming the current governmant?

Options
  • 21-02-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks the anger people direct towards the current government is misguided? It isn't that I think the current government are great or any better than the last just that no matter who is in power would have to do pretty much the same thing.

The venom people direct towards individuals administrators currently in charge just seems way overboard. Do people really think the other parties would be any different?

I think it was amazing how the green party were blamed for a load of measures that were agreed before ever having any power.

Are the current government responsible for the current need for cuts? 74 votes

Completely resoponsible
    0% 0 votes
    It doesn't matter who is power
    20% 15 votes
    I really don't know
    79% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Here's how politics work:
    Current regime = they're terrible
    Election time = parties lying to get votes and people vote for who has the best lies

Then it goes from step one again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's their fault for not fixing what the previous government did!!!!!

:mad::eek::(:mad::eek::(:mad::eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What can they do? I have no idea, if you think there is a solution lets hear it.

Meant to also add that the promises made are made in a vacum of information. Once they get it they have to face reality

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

People are redirecting their anger onto other people so they don't have to look at themselves.

This is a democracy, the people are in charge so the fault ultimately rests at the feet of each and every citizen of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they inherited an almighty mess and are a bit slow to put things right but the public shouldnt forget what fianna fail did. we need to keep them out of power for as long as possible
    one gripe i have with the current government is Varadker. he seems to have an opinion on everything but you rarely here him talking about transport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

I think anger itself is misguided as people seem to get so completely blinded by it that they can't figure out what to actually do about their situation. Then again, why try to figure things out calmly when you can vote in the scapegoats government and blame them instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H.L. Mencken

I don't get to use this quote often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭golfball37

The poll is a misnomer. Of course the present govt are not to blame for where we are as a country.

They are to blame however for promising something different and not delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's because people want to see an instant reaction and get annoyed when they don't get one. The new government promise change. A month later nothing has changed and people start calling for a new election.

It's the main failing of democracy, a fundamental inability of most people to comprehend scale beyond their own selfish interests. That everything should be the way they want it and screw everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It isn't that I think the current government are great or any better than the last just that no matter who is in power would have to do pretty much the same thing.

The same point would apply to the crazy spending during the boom which has got us in the current mess.
    I can remember the give-away budgets of the early to mid 2000's - none of the opposition parties were urging any kind of restraint in spending. Quite the opposite - it was like a competition to see who could give away the most money the quickest.

Politicians from any party are ultimately more concerned with taking the decisions which they feel will guarantee their next election victory as opposed to making less populist decisions which would have been for the good of the country - and that's mostly the electorates fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

they inherited an almighty mess and are a bit slow to put things right but the public shouldnt forget what fianna fail did. we need to keep them out of power for as long as possible
    one gripe i have with the current government is Varadker. he seems to have an opinion on everything but you rarely here him talking about transport

I think Sir,it's something about the Transport portfolio.

It seems to attract the somewhat less than stable Politician.

Mary O Rourke was'nt afraid to make snap decisions in her bath...

Seamus Brennan made decisions and announced them on a whim,to the bewilderment of many within his own department.

Mary Harney,although nominally a Minister for Health,subbed all that out to Prof Drum and devoted a huge chunk of her ministerial energy towards Public Transport issues.

I suppose it's a logical extension of the Tod Andrews..."Oul Protestant Solicitors from Carrickmines" ethos ......:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Politicians from any party are ultimately more concerned with taking the decisions which they feel will guarantee their next election victory as opposed to making less populist decisions which would have been for the good of the country - and that's mostly the electorates fault.
    It's the catch-22 of democracy; If you always do the right thing, you will be kicked out. If you do the most popular thing instead, no matter how ill-advised, you will continue to be elected.

This is what people mean when they say that voters get the politicians that they deserve - because they vote for the people they like instead of the people who actually try to do the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I could write a longwinded answer but there's no need.

The general public are knobs, always have been, always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Am I the only one who thinks the anger people direct towards the current government is misguided? It isn't that I think the current government are great or any better than the last just that no matter who is in power would have to do pretty much the same thing. .

Its the civil servants running the departments making the real decisions, so anyone angry at elected officials is slightly deluded
    The venom people direct towards individuals administrators currently in charge just seems way overboard. Do people really think the other parties would be any different?.

For the most part politicians are trained liars, so its par for the course that they get abuse when caught out

I think it was amazing how the green party were blamed for a load of measures that were agreed before ever having any power.

The Green party facitlitated FF in government, they bear responsibilty for not collapsing the government long before it happened, a bunch of cowards, glad they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's a pretty awful poll. Where's the 'it's the fault of the previous government' option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭boboldpilot

I'm angry at the current government not because they caused all this. But what they've done since they gained power, or more to the point. What they haven't done. All they've done is prove that politics and politicians in this country are barely competent and are more interested in their careers than doing the right thing for this country.

Worse still the reneged on most of their promises and continue to lie to us. They failed the tackle the public service pay bill, hiding behind Croke Park. Instead the went and cut the most vulnerable. Invented absurd taxes like the household charge and then completely mishandled the genuine protest against it.

Sure they're trying to deal with the PS issue now. But their fear of the unions and their desire to make Ireland look stable means they will compromise and in truth the PS will continue to suck up most of the tax take. Which of course means the rest of us will foot the bill.

But let's not forget where the real blame lies. Fianna Fail. It's shocking to think that people in this country are so stupid that they still support that bunch of incompetent crooks. I'd rather vote Sinn Fein or God help Democratic Unionist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The Irish election system works like this:

1. Fianna Fail are in power for 10-15 years, make a balls of the country through unsustainable economic policies.

2. Fine Gael coalition come in and clean up the mess for 1 term. Public not happy with the measures that have to be put in place.

3. Electorate forget about what Fianna Fail had done and vote them in again for another 10-15 years to mess things up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ScumLord wrote: »
    People are redirecting their anger onto other people so they don't have to look at themselves.

This is a democracy, the people are in charge so the fault ultimately rests at the feet of each and every citizen of this country.

I wish that all of the political parties would at least give us some proper candidates to vote for, because all we ever get to choose are the best of a mediocre bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

exactly and they've now changed what they all knew to be illegal promissory notes and have been lying to 4,500,000 people that they've got us a deal when we've in actual fact just done what is done everytime there's a crash and kick the can as far down the road as is possible for someone else to fix.

they are well and truly responsible for their actions right now and since they've come to power!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I believe they've been pushed into a corner they can't get out of.However,a lot of policies they have put in place have been regressive rather than searching for a progressive substitute in terms returning Ireland to growth.I don't think at this moment in time we can judge the current government on their decisions,i believe we'll find out whether they have done the right thing in the next 4-8 years if Ireland returns to some kind of growth or continues to diminish into depression.

We can't tell just yet.Right now i believe that this government will be tarnished by future generations,yet will in fact be the government who will set us on the road to prosperity through other governments by creating a solid foundation to work upon.

• Advertisement

Its the civil servants running the departments making the real decisions, so anyone angry at elected officials is slightly deluded

For the most part politicians are trained liars, so its par for the course that they get abuse when caught out

The Green party facitlitated FF in government, they bear responsibilty for not collapsing the government long before it happened, a bunch of cowards, glad they are gone.

The civil servants don't run things here. I have worked in the public service and sweeping changes normally come from the minister against the civil servants. What happened to FAS is a perfect illustration of this.

I think it is strange to blame the Green Party. They thought they could make changes but didn't really and got blamed for loads. Wouldn't call them cowards myself but each to their own. It is that kind of venom I don't get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

*ment

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wish that all of the political parties would at least give us some proper candidates to vote for, because all we ever get to choose are the best of a mediocre bunch.
    That will never change either. The people are absentee landlords. The government will continue to guess their way through based on the whims of the mob as long as the people refuse to lift a finger.

Worse still the reneged on most of their promises and continue to lie to us.
    Care to provide a list of these promises and an explanation of how they've been reneged on?

I've heard this "broken promises" line a lot and yet no-one seems to be able to provide a list of these promises that have been broken, instead making vague regards to some kind of bailout deal and "not one red cent"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

The civil servants don't run things here. I have worked in the public service and sweeping changes normally come from the minister against the civil servants. What happened to FAS is a perfect illustration of this.

I think it is strange to blame the Green Party. They thought they could make changes but didn't really and got blamed for loads. Wouldn't call them cowards myself but each to their own. It is that kind of venom I don't get.

Is that you Gogerty?

Worse still the reneged on most of their promises and continue to lie to us. They failed the tackle the public service pay bill, hiding behind Croke Park. Instead the went and cut the most vulnerable. Invented absurd taxes like the household charge and then completely mishandled the genuine protest against it.
    That would be a prime example of the view I don't get. The household charge wasn't brought in by this or the last government but agreed before that. Same goes for water charges.

Is that you Gogerty?
    I don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ScumLord wrote: »

but then on the flipside, what was the alternative? keep the same imbeciles who ran the place into the ground? can't win as a voter here, one group of fcukwits is replaced with another, and round it goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

seamus wrote: »
    Care to provide a list of these promises and an explanation of how they've been reneged on?

I've heard this "broken promises" line a lot and yet no-one seems to be able to provide a list of these promises that have been broken, instead making vague regards to some kind of bailout deal and "not one red cent"

Student registration fees is one that gets me big time even though it doesn't apply to me.Seeing the big smiley face on Ruari Quinn outside trinity on the run up to the election signing an oversized "contract" in front of student councils and media,dedicated to not raising to student contribution and later going on to slap it back in the face of the students.

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Student registration fees is one that gets me big time even though it doesn't apply to me.Seeing the big smiley face on Ruari Quinn outside trinity on the run up to the election signing an oversized "contract" in front of student councils and media,dedicated to not raising to student contribution and later going on to slap it back in the face of the students.
    Labour only promised not to re-introduce 3rd level fees.

They haven't been re-introduced right? 3rd level is still mostly free isn't it?

Advertisement