Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to my own apartment?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I live in an apartment block house, with car park, loads of flats, etc.

To get to the block we have to use a knob (key) which is like a magnet card, opens the main door to the building.

Now the office deactivated my knob so I can't get into the building where I live. (Only can get in if someone else goes in and let me in, or someone from inside opens it for me).

(The reason they deactivated my card because my landlord didn't pay "in time" for the knob-service, wtf)

Do they have the right to do this? To lock me out from my own apartment? I waited 40 minute last night to get in... freezing outside... I even called Garda to help me but they said its not their business)

I paid up to date for my rent....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

*fob

is there no keypad/ code to get in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You need to hassle your landlord. They haven't paid their management fees. Every time you can't get in, phone your landlord. He'll quickly sort the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

crusoe wrote: »
    ...we have to use a knob....
    ...my landlord didn't pay "in time" for the knob-service....

While nothing is worse than being locked out (except for being locked out in the rain), i have to say what a great intro...

Anyway back to your problem; i don't think its a case that your landlord didnt pay "in time" rather he hasn't bothered paying the management fees and possibly for a while as it only takes a few seconds to reactivate a fob... I wouldnt be suprised if the management agency hasn't wrote to him and threatened to deactivate the fob on several occasions...

My advice; get out with your deposit while you can (or at least don't pay the last month's rent)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I live in an apartment block house, with car park, loads of flats, etc.

To get to the block we have to use a knob (key) which is like a magnet card, opens the main door to the building.

Now the office deactivated my knob so I can't get into the building where I live. (Only can get in if someone else goes in and let me in, or someone from inside opens it for me).

(The reason they deactivated my card because my landlord didn't pay "in time" for the knob-service, wtf)

Do they have the right to do this? To lock me out from my own apartment? I waited 40 minute last night to get in... freezing outside... I even called Garda to help me but they said its not their business)

I paid up to date for my rent....

Technically under the terms of the lease where the unit owner fails to make the annual service fee payment then the management company is legally entitled to withhold and withdraw all services and entitlements. This could potentially include use of anything in the comon areas like a door entrance. The owner has only a right of access to his apartment through which he must use the management companys building including any doors and spaces that they maintain.

I would hassle your landlord every single day and hour until its paid and you have access or else threaten to hand your notice in a very hort amount of time, say 48 hours (and be prepared to carry it out.) Unless you like the idea of a landlord getting the full rent (AND not paying and service fee's therefore being better off) while you stand outside like a muppet, then just keep paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You see this happen quite a bit nowadays with things like cars being clamped because the landlord has not paid their management fees. You really need to get onto the landlord and keep getting on to them until the situation is sorted. The bones of the issue is that you are currently paying rent for a property that you no longer have access to. I could be wrong in saying this but I would imagine that it would be a pretty simple lease to get out of on that basis, and the landlord is going to have a hell of a time reletting the property if nobody can get into it! Probably no harm in remind them of that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,be careful,in Ireland telling people that you had trouble with your knob might result in lots of laughter.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crusoe

While nothing is worse than being locked out (except for being locked out in the rain), i have to say what a great intro...

Anyway back to your problem; i don't think its a case that your landlord didnt pay "in time" rather he hasn't bothered paying the management fees and possibly for a while as it only takes a few seconds to reactivate a fob... I wouldnt be suprised if the management agency hasn't wrote to him and threatened to deactivate the fob on several occasions...

My advice; get out with your deposit while you can (or at least don't pay the last month's rent)...

I already texted my landlord's man since he isn't answer the phone. So I texted him, every night I can't get in the building will cost him 65 euros which I take out from the rent, it's the cost of a hotel room that i know.

So about every week he'll lose one month pay.
    And I only count one hotel room.. because I was nice. 3 people lives here.

I got cold too... last night waiting 1 hour outside. I think I should also charge him the medication. I think i will top up my coldrex supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I already texted my landlord's man since he isn't answer the phone. So I texted him, every night I can't get in the building will cost him 65 euros which I take out from the rent, it's the cost of a hotel room that i know.

And I only count one hotel room.. because I was nice. 3 people lives here.
    Well done.

That should get things moving pretty quick his end, I would imagine.

Do everything in proper writing (registered letter); texts, emails, phone calls etc dont mean a whole lot if it comes to a dispute as its too easy to lose text/emails and deny phone calls.

Make sure that you send him a letter outlining the problem that you are having and that you expect the matter to be resolved in a reasonable time. Keep a copy of the letter for yourself. If you dont get a reply, or if the matter does not get resolved, send another letter stating that due to the nature of the issue you are going to have no choice but to take measures to terminate the tenancy unless the matter is resolved in very quick time. This might seem longwinded, but it puts you in the best position should you need to take a case against the landlord, as it shows that you have done everything by the book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Personally, I'd be looking for a new apartment, OP. It could be that your landlord is over-extended and hasn't got the money to cover the mortgage and the management fee. Did you pay a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Love, it's a fob!

*fob

is there no keypad/ code to get in?

There's two way now to get in.

1. if u enter some apartmant number and they let you in...for example 2nd floor 12 flat i enter 0212 then they have a "phone" that will ring, if I can explain them why i want to get in they press the "key" and let me in...

2. I wait outside at the door while someone also want to go in and he/she let's me in....

---

Latest news is I called citizen information, i explained my problem..and they gave me number for Threshold, I called them they'll call me back soon.

Does the keypad not have a code that opens the door? From what I can see a lot of them do.

There's two way now to get in.

Or ... just continue to hassle your landlord, who is responsible to provide you with access. :rolleyes: Call him/her every single time you need to get in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Lantus wrote: »
    Technically under the terms of the lease where the unit owner fails to make the annual service fee payment then the management company is legally entitled to withhold and withdraw all services and entitlements. This could potentially include use of anything in the comon areas like a door entrance. The owner has only a right of access to his apartment through which he must use the management companys building including any doors and spaces that they maintain.

I would be very surprised in any apartment lease contained a clause denying use of the apartment in the event of non payment of the service chanrge. While it can be common that a non paying leaseholder is unable to claim under block insurance, it would be very unusual for it to be capable of overriding the rights of way granted under the lease.

I fully support management companies' entitlements to recover service charges but this is not a reasonable means to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Paulw wrote: »
    Or ... just continue to hassle your landlord, who is responsible to provide you with access. :rolleyes: Call him/her every single time you need to get in or out.

Exactly.
    Just think, every time you get stuck outside your apartment in the cold, your Landlord is most likely sitting down nice and cosy with a cup of tea in his own home.. not caring.

I'm a landlord myself and I hate hearing about this sort of thing. The situation you're in is absolutely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

If it were me, id break in. Not a chance id stand outside in the cold when ive paid my rent. Wonder what a judge would have to say about it if the guards came

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

newbie2013 wrote: »
    If it were me, id break in. Not a chance id stand outside in the cold when ive paid my rent. Wonder what a judge would have to say about it if the guards came

Ignore this advice, you would be done for breaking and entering and possibly criminal damage.

OP you are a victim of your landlord here. The management company are well within their rights to deny your landlord or their tenants access to common areas, they would not have taken this action lightly. Your landlord is responsible, and that is who you need to pressure. Talk to Threshold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Marcusm wrote: »
    I would be very surprised in any apartment lease contained a clause denying use of the apartment in the event of non payment of the service chanrge. While it can be common that a non paying leaseholder is unable to claim under block insurance, it would be very unusual for it to be capable of overriding the rights of way granted under the lease.

I fully support management companies' entitlements to recover service charges but this is not a reasonable means to do so.

The LL has use of the apartment, they just can't use the common areas in and out of it. This action would be the last resort of any management company, the LL must be seriously in arrears. Legal notice would have to be served on the LL of any withdrawal of services so the landlord is just sitting back and waiting for things to come to a head.

What really gets me about this is that management fees are tax deductible to landlords but not owner occupiers. Then again I have a feeling this LL may not be tax compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advocating that people break the law is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IF he pays you back, which I don't think he will. He isn't paying the management fees, so I'm thinking he won't pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Victor wrote: »
    Advocating that people break the law is not acceptable.

Sorry, i wasnt suggesting that the op break in, its just i was stating that in no way would i stand outside in the cold while i paid my rent fully.

Sorry, i wasnt suggesting that the op break in, its just i was stating that in no way would i stand outside in the cold while i paid my rent fully.

Really???

If it were me, id break in.

The OP should just continue to call and hassle the landlord, day and night, until the matter is resolved. The OP could also lodge a complaint with the PRTB against the landlord.

It is the landlord's responsibility to provide the access fob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe OP should talk to a lawyer about the legal situation here, and whether the management has the right to lock out a rent-paying tenant on the basis of his/her landlord not paying fees, rather than asking boardsies? If the tenant has the right to get into the apartment, a solicitor should be able to sort it out tactfully without anyone's feathers being ruffled. Even if it means, say, that the tenant, landlord and management agree that a proportion of the rent be paid towards the landlord's debt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

So I texted him, every night I can't get in the building will cost him 65 euros which I take out from the rent, it's the cost of a hotel room that i know.
    . I think I should also charge him the medication. I think i will top up my coldrex supply.

money hungry foreignro

Maybe OP should talk to a lawyer about the legal situation here, and whether the management has the right to lock out a rent-paying tenant on the basis of his/her landlord not paying fees, rather than asking boardsies? If the tenant has the right to get into the apartment, a solicitor should be able to sort it out tactfully without anyone's feathers being ruffled. Even if it means, say, that the tenant, landlord and management agree that a proportion of the rent be paid towards the landlord's debt.

Then thing here is that the OP has only recourse against the landlord. It is the landlord's responsibility to provide all necessary access to the tenant.

The management company can revoke service towards this unit owner if management fees are not paid in full.

So, the OP should chase the landlord, daily, to get the access to the unit he is renting. The landlord should pay his fees, in order to get an access fob.

Getting a solicitor involved would, again, be the OP taking action against the landlord. This can be done via the PRTB, without requiring a solicitor.

There is a wider issue here about whether or not tenants should have protection against getting caught up in a dispute between their landlord and the management company. Personally, while I understand the position of the management company, I think its absolutely ridiculous that a tenant can run the risk of having their car clamped or being locked out of their apartment because of the actions of the landlord, and I think that someone thing needs to be done to protect against such action being taken where a tenant is involved. Of course, Im aware this does not help the OP much now!

Assuming the OP has been in written contact with the landlord and the matter is still not resolved, I think the OP would be justified in moving to have the lease terminated. If the OP cannot get into the building then the landlord is charging for something that they are unable to provide, which to me sounds like very good grounds to terminate any agreement that is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tunedout wrote: »
    money hungry foreignro

I think you tried to be abusive here. But I'm not sure.

Don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

athtrasna wrote: »
    The LL has use of the apartment, they just can't use the common areas in and out of it. This action would be the last resort of any management company, the LL must be seriously in arrears. Legal notice would have to be served on the LL of any withdrawal of services so the landlord is just sitting back and waiting for things to come to a head.

What really gets me about this is that management fees are tax deductible to landlords but not owner occupiers. Then again I have a feeling this LL may not be tax compliant.

Read my post, the right of passage across the common area will be contained in the lease. To deny those rights is effectively denying use of the apartment. I can't see any solicitors being stupid enough to draft or permit those rights to be abridged administratively by a mgt co/agent. The approrpiate remedy is to seek forfeiture of the lease if the issue is serious enough.

Advertisement