Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candles... dangerous things

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

An old flame of mine always left candles unattended, it really got on my wick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Neadine wrote: »

You slept with candles lighting in the room???
    I was awake, just in a different room.
    Think in that situation you'd be wide awake damn quickly when you realised what was going on.
    Hope no one was hurt.

it was in an ashtray. you'd think it would have been safe! damn thing cracked with molten wax seriously though I got lucky must have bn only 17, somethng I learned from

..now I just burn small holes in laminated wooden flooring :( ALWAYS, make sure candle is contained. Properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Boombastic wrote: »
    An old flame of mine always left candles unattended, it really got on my wick.

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Who knew that candles were actually dangerous things.
    Yes, I know they come with a warning not to leave unattended and all that, but does anyone actually pay attention to that?
    Anyway, I had a candle burning, one of those ridiculously expensive, smelly ones. Was pottering about doing stuff, had a friend call so had a chat and a cuppa, next thing I know the bloody candle is on fire, and has left a nasty burn mark on my white table.
    Put the candle jar in the sink and it exploded.
    Warning to all, do not leave candles unattended!!!

Did this really happen? Honestly did it?
    Because even a child is thought the dangers of fire. Even as small as a flame from a candle.

Did this really happen? Honestly did it?
    Because even a child is thought the dangers of fire. Even as small as a flame from a candle.

Ah, no, I made it all up.... seriously.
    I am we'll aware of the dangers of fire, light candles all the time but have never experienced this happening, even the label on the jar melted and peeled off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah, no, I made it all up.... seriously.

Confirmation! ... :pac:

But being serious, it's a candle. It's an open flame. For the record I am not being rude to you. It's just I am suprised you didnt know the dangers of a candle. Even a cigarette left unattended can be danerous. This is the stuff our parents tell us as kids.

Confirmation! ... :pac:

But being serious, it's a candle. It's an open flame. For the record I am not being rude to you. It's just I am suprised you didnt know the dangers of a candle. Even a cigarette left unattended can be danerous. This is the stuff our parents tell us as kids.

Ok, I left the room, for a short time, not the house.
    The candle was in a glass jar, the jar is probably about 5 inches high and there was about 1/2 inch of candle left, it was in a safe place, nothing near by etc.
    It was one of those freak things, and judging by the state of the jar/candle, it was something that was likely to happen regardless of my proximity to the candle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lady_Otacon

How long did you have the candle burning for? For a safe burn you should leave the candle lit until the wax has melted all the way out to the edge of the glass, as soon as you get to that point you need to blow it out and allow the wax to cool and harden before lighting again if you want it lighting all day for instance. Once there is a large pool of melted wax the surface becomes highly flammable. Maybe you got a dud which can often happen, scary stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Ok, I left the room, for a short time, not the house.
    The candle was in a glass jar, the jar is probably about 5 inches high and there was about 1/2 inch of candle left, it was in a safe place, nothing near by etc.
    It was one of those freak things, and judging by the state of the jar/candle, it was something that was likely to happen regardless of my proximity to the candle.

Heads up: Broken glass is sharp and may cut you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

It exploded because you put a hot candle jar into a cold sink. Just so you know, in case someone tries to kill you again.

• Advertisement

How long did you have the candle burning for? For a safe burn you should leave the candle lit until the wax has melted all the way out to the edge of the glass, as soon as you get to that point you need to blow it out and allow the wax to cool and harden before lighting again if you want it lighting all day for instance. Once there is a large pool of melted wax the surface becomes highly flammable. Maybe you got a dud which can often happen, scary stuff!

It was probably lighting 30-40 minutes when it went on fire. It was a large candle, and most of it was burned down, so was pretty near to the end of it's life.

Johro wrote: »
    It exploded because you put a hot candle jar into a cold sink. Just so you know, in case someone tries to kill you again.

Yes, I am aware of the physics involved, thank you. But the glass had actually cracked prior to contact with the sink, the trail of wax on the floor kinda confirms that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

McDonald's sell coffee??? Really?? Why??

To make money I imagine, it's pretty good tbh

It probably was just a case of of the flame being too big as the wick was a bit too long and the glass overheated. Also those little nightlight candles are feckers for developing large flames when they're getting near the end of their lives sometimes. You're best off putting a candle on a saucer or something, even if it's in a glass or other container.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lady_Otacon

It was probably lighting 30-40 minutes when it went on fire. It was a large candle, and most of it was burned down, so was pretty near to the end of it's life.

Well that was probably it, once you get down to about a half an inch or so of wax you should stop lighting it, there's not enough wax left for it to be safe. If you don't want to waste the remaining wax scoop it out and put it in an oil burner, that's what I do :-)

Yes, I am aware of the physics involved, thank you.
    You still did it.

You still did it.

Yes, but figured that a very hot glass jar was safer in/on a surface that wasn't going to be damaged by the heat, or likely to catch fire.
    Logical really!!!!

Yes, but figured that a very hot glass jar was safer in/on a surface that wasn't going to be damaged by the heat, or likely to catch fire.
    Logical really!!!!
    Yeah, proud of ya. Next time shield your face just in case.

I'm a poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Youve been scienced!

Yeah, proud of ya. Next time shield your face just in case.

I'm a poet.

Shux, thanks!

• Advertisement

You're welcome.

Thread kinda burnt itself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

When 'winter berries' goes bad :(

I don't want my relationship with my latest flame to turn toxic, end up fuming she is fairly naked on my bed right now.. think I need the candle equivelent of a chastity belt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

There I was thinking a candle on fire is normally how the things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Sorry to hear about your late night candle malfunction - Hope your clients didn't mind......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Turpentine wrote: »
    Lit Candle + Fire = Ghost?

I'm sorry, but I laughed for a minute at your boards name on a thread regarding fire:D
    it was in an ashtray. you'd think it would have been safe! damn thing cracked with molten wax seriously though I got lucky must have bn only 17, somethng I learned from

..now I just burn small holes in laminated wooden flooring :( ALWAYS, make sure candle is contained. Properly.

I am very weird about candles, I always light them only if they are in a sink. No water, but some in the immediate vicinity if needed. I just have a weird think about it! Probably the whole not wanting to be burned to death thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What do you mean 'the candle was on fire'? Candles are supposed to be on fire. That's how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Who knew that candles were actually dangerous things.
    Yes, I know they come with a warning not to leave unattended and all that, but does anyone actually pay attention to that?
    Anyway, I had a candle burning, one of those ridiculously expensive, smelly ones. Was pottering about doing stuff, had a friend call so had a chat and a cuppa, next thing I know the bloody candle is on fire, and has left a nasty burn mark on my white table.
    Put the candle jar in the sink and it exploded.
    Warning to all, do not leave candles unattended!!!

Go with a Yankee Candle. They're self-enclosed, designed to be left burning for hours safely. Mrs Geeky loves them. I've even gone to bed leaving one burning (by accident) - only impact was a stronger-than-usual fragrance in the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

So now Fire is dangerous too. what next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Real Life wrote: »
    So now Fire is dangerous too. what next?

I hear touching live wires isn't too good for you either!

Advertisement