Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candles... dangerous things

Options
  • 19-02-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Who knew that candles were actually dangerous things.
    Yes, I know they come with a warning not to leave unattended and all that, but does anyone actually pay attention to that?
    Anyway, I had a candle burning, one of those ridiculously expensive, smelly ones. Was pottering about doing stuff, had a friend call so had a chat and a cuppa, next thing I know the bloody candle is on fire, and has left a nasty burn mark on my white table.
    Put the candle jar in the sink and it exploded.
    Warning to all, do not leave candles unattended!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

It's a melting stick of fire.......only slightly dangerous then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Exploding candle. Someone was trying to assassinate you. They went through a lot of trouble to get that candle and plant it in your house

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

It's a melting stick of fire.......only slightly dangerous then.

Yeah, only slightly, and this melting fire is contained in a nice big glass jar, shur, what's the worst thing that could happen?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Neadine wrote: »

Absolutely f*cking everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yeah, only slightly, and this melting fire is contained in a nice big glass jar, shur, what's the worst thing that could happen?!?

Eh, explode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes, I know they come with a warning not to leave unattended and all that, but does anyone actually pay attention to that?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭re.mark.able

They're also toxic - the lovely smell in the air is more or less pollution, wafting around your room, like a little tiny car's exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Exploding candle. Someone was trying to assassinate you. They went through a lot of trouble to get that candle and plant it in your house

OP are you Fidel Castro by any chance? :pac:

They're also toxic - the lovely smell in the air is more or less pollution, wafting around your room, like a little tiny car's exhaust

The smell right now is far from 'lovely'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Indeed (1,2,3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Anyway, I had a candle burning, one of those ridiculously expensive, smelly ones. Was pottering about doing stuff, had a friend call so had a chat and a cuppa, next thing I know the bloody candle is on fire, and has left a nasty burn mark on my white table.

Maybe you have a poltergeist

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In other news fire is hot

Turpentine wrote: »
    Maybe you have a poltergeist

That isn't entirely impossible, there was a ghost, but that's a whole other story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

A big +1 to this sort of thing....and worse still is your local McDonalds selling HOTCoffee :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A big +1 to this sort of thing....and worse still is your local McDonalds selling HOTCoffee :eek:

McDonald's sell coffee??? Really?? Why??

That isn't entirely impossible, there was a ghost, but that's a whole other story.

It's possibly impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I bet you run with scissors too.

It's possibly impossible.

It's also possibly possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had several candle in a room when there was a power cut - just ordinary ones, not perfumed, and it was amazing how quickly the room became airless. Another bad idea with candles is to light two or three very close together, they melt each other.

It's also possibly possible!

Yet definitely improbable

• Advertisement

Yet definitely improbable

But not entirely impossible.

the bloody candle is on fire

hmmmm, and the issue here is?

But not entirely impossible.

Lit Candle + Fire = Ghost?

Lit Candle + Fire = Ghost?

No the ghost was very much an independent entity, not in the least connected to, or dependent on, candles.

No the ghost was very much an independent entity, not in the least connected to, or dependent on, candles.

Was this a seance gone wrong by any chance?

Was this a seance gone wrong by any chance?

Nope, never been involved in a seance, but now that you mention it, something that could be kinda interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

You can bet I had an accident with one of these.. and the question was asked "how can we sleep when our beds are burning"

Pretty fcuking soundly, thank u right up til the flames were almost licking my face. Propensity to try and extinguish fire, with hands on awakening

You can bet I had an accident with one of these.. and the question was asked "how can we sleep when our beds are burning"

Pretty fcuking soundly, thank u right up til the flames were almost licking my face. Propensity to try and extinguish fire, with hands on awakening

You slept with candles lighting in the room???
    I was awake, just in a different room.
    Think in that situation you'd be wide awake damn quickly when you realised what was going on.
    Hope no one was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

As funny as a fire in a children's home.

I just wanted to say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

looksee wrote: »
    Another bad idea with candles is to light two or three very close together, they melt each other.
    I'm learning all sorts of new information in this thread, keep up the good work people

Advertisement