Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palestinian child in gun crosshair photo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

7 7 12 wrote: »
    You can roll your eyes all you want but there are strict conditions defining what a state or country actually is and Palestine does not currently meet all of them. Too lazy to source info but a quick google should sort you out

Jesus man, he was just referencing the article. Maybe reporters should look for passports before they run a story.

It is immaterial to the thread. Its still a soldier taking a photo of the back of a kids head......deplorable irregarless of nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

You can roll your eyes all you want but there are strict conditions defining what a state or country actually is and Palestine does not currently meet all of them. Too lazy to source info but a quick google should sort you out

Fine then child then. Doesn't matter what or where they are from. its a scummy thing to do, do you agree with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

BASHIR wrote: »

Fine then child then. Doesn't matter what or where they are from. its a scummy thing to do, do you agree with that?
    Yes, why are people bringing the Palestine situation into it. Cross hair on an Irish child would be just as deplorable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I wonder what unspeakable horror israel will have to eventually inflict on palestine for people to stop defending it. gas chambers is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yes, why are people bringing the Palestine situation into it. Cross hair on an Irish child would be just as deplorable

Doesn't have to be a kid even, IMO. Glorifying this kind of image is sending the message that you think it's cool to target people and kill them, and anyone with that attitude is too dangerous to be allowed into the military.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Did you read the article or even the snippet in the opening post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

There's no such thing as a Palestinian child, he's either Israeli, Egyptian or Jordanian. Show some respect ffs

Get a life. You have not yet come to terms of world opinion of the pariah state.
    Hitler thought he was invincible. Remember the story of the big wheel, it keeps turning, my DA said that to me 50 years ago. Do evil to one, it will come back to haunt you or your siblings.

I wonder what unspeakable horror israel will have to eventually inflict on palestine for people to stop defending it. gas chambers is my guess.

People would still defend them as "the only democracy in the Middle East" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

Our culture and their culture are two different things. An Arab child is regarded as an adult at 12 years old and Israelis deal with that reality. But this is probably just macho stuff which you'll find in almost every army in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Social media Is hilarious, kids get shot all over the world everyday, and most people don't give a toss because they're too busy in their own little worlds. But put a picture of a gun pointing at kid on social media and watch people get their backs up for 24hrs or so.

People are stupid.

And yes, I include myself in that statement.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Maybe this is progress after all, so I'll settle for the IDF taking photographs of palestinian civilians. As opposed to their usual practice of blowing them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

People would still defend them as "the only democracy in the Middle East" :rolleyes:

Democracy, what age are you. Check out democracy in the pariah state. South Africa under apartheid was more democratic than that little evil statlet.

Maybe they should try the Syrian model. Rolls eyes. Or the Lebanese model where they can't move from one neighbourhood to the next without running through a sniper alley. Or the Saudi Arabian one. Rolls eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Theres no Kurdish state either, yet funny enough....

Democracy, what age are you. Check out democracy in the pariah state. South Africa under apartheid was more democratic than that little evil statlet.

It was sarcasm. There's nothing remotely democratic about Israel in my view.
    lapsed wrote: »
    Maybe they should try the Syrian model. Rolls eyes. Or the Lebanese model where they can't move from one neighbourhood to the next without running through a sniper alley. Or the Saudi Arabian one. Rolls eyes.

Ah, this argument again - excusing crimes committed by one party because you can cite examples of other parties who have committed worse crimes.
    I guess if I'm ever on trial for murder I can get an acquittal by pointing out that I only killed one person while there are countless examples throughout history of people who killed more than one at a time, ergo I'm excused? :pac:

It was sarcasm. There's nothing remotely democratic about Israel in my view.

Ah, this argument again - excusing crimes committed by one party because you can cite examples of other parties who have committed worse crimes.
    I guess if I'm ever on trial for murder I can get an acquittal by pointing out that I only killed one person while there are countless examples throughout history of people who killed more than one at a time, ergo I'm excused? :pac:

It wasn't " crimes " that was being noted...it was whether or not Israel is a democracy....which it obviously is as they've just had elections; elections which didn't drive the government further to the right as all the anti-Israel pundits forecast. There's a nasty Irish ambivalence towards terrorism , preferring to call it " resistance " which was in play for the past 30 or 40 years at home and which is extrapolated to the Middle East. Easy solution; the Palestinians exchange politics for violence and there'll be no dead or targeted children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

So far I have seen this picture being labelled as being from Syria, and Israel.

Fúck off with this bullshít propaganda and link a valid source. Sickening how everybody immediately jumps on the Israel hating bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'm not Israel's biggest fan but I think people should let this go. Uploading the photo to a personal account in in bad taste, but you cannot hold Israel to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

It wasn't " crimes " that was being noted...it was whether or not Israel is a democracy....which it obviously is as they've just had elections; elections which didn't drive the government further to the right as all the anti-Israel pundits forecast. There's a nasty Irish ambivalence towards terrorism , preferring to call it " resistance " which was in play for the past 30 or 40 years at home and which is extrapolated to the Middle East. Easy solution; the Palestinians exchange politics for violence and there'll be no dead or targeted children.

"Palestinians; stop defending yourselves and we'll stop shooting your children."
    Israeli democracy in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

What's the big deal? Palestinians have used children as suicide bombers before. Knowing that, I'd be keeping a close eye on everyone if I was there.

Also, the Israel v Palestine political minefield is off topic and doesn't belong in the thread, ah heyor, leave ih bleedin ou!

You realise that the US has blocked the political path?

That the West Bank is occupied, yet none of its population have voting rights in Israeli elections, yet Israeli colonists there have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You can not seriously be that clueless? It is highly relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

hedzball wrote: »
    Looks like a miss to me...

'hdz

Have ye not hear of the term 'aiming off for wind'

I'm not Israel's biggest fan but I think people should let this go. Uploading the photo to a personal account in in bad taste, but you cannot hold Israel to blame.

A bit of context might help.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/oct/06/israel
    http://newsmine.org/content.php?ol=war-on-terror/israel/hostilities/2005/05-jan-may/israeli-fire-kills-10-year-old-palestinian-girl.txt
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/apr/11/israel

There's a lot more, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

A 20 year old IDF soldier, basically still a kid himself, who took a photo in bad taste, a photo in which we know no context, and posted it to Instagram for the laugh and to look like 'the man' to his mates.

Yes it was completely stupid, but this over the top faux outrage is also fairly stupid.

brimal wrote: »
    A 20 year old IDF soldier, basically still a kid himself, who took a photo in bad taste, a photo in which we know no context, and posted it to Instagram for the laugh and to look like 'the man' to his mates.

Yes it was completely stupid, but this over the top faux outrage is also fairly stupid.

.....not in the context of the IDF, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Looks like he is gonna miss though..

Depends.

For a picture like this i doubt he would have adjusted the scope for bullet drop, so likely the kid would be hit in the shoulder.

Also, whats the big ****ing deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just a fecking idiot and as we can see from the report its clearly not IDF policy.

I'm sure there's hardly an army anywhere in the world without an idiot who'd do something just as thick.

Idiots be everywhere ;)

Advertisement