Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are rich people so tight?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Why does it always rain in Ireland?
    Is it because i lied when i was seventeen?
    Tesco corn flakes taste exactly the same as Kelloggs.

But are they as effective in masturbation prevention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Dejvice wrote: »
    In this day and age I refuse to pay over the odds......it means in all areas from phone contract, insurance, heating oil, tv, etc..In the last few years not being frugal or mean or being stingy but by being polite and simply saying your price is not acceptable and I am sure you can do better....and I guess in 70 percent of cases they do better on price.....but I still go further. And I mean everything from branded goods etc......before Christmas walked out of a branded goods shop with a 30percent discount by asking for manager negotiating and showing the money and saying that is what I have....and it's afair offer (from 220e to 150e)Take it or leave it.

Since I started to adopt this approach in last few years I estimate I have saved my family about 3,000 EUR a year. Not life changing money by any means but it's in my pocket and that's what matters. (over the years these savings can add up)

Ah yeah, but I heard you were a right spendthrift in Victorian times. Rich people didn't get rich because they were tight with money, they got rich because they were good with money. There's a big difference. Scrimp all you want, if there's not big money coming in, you be stayin poh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Pottler wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but I heard you were a right spendthrift in Victorian times. Rich people didn't get rich because they were tight with money, they got rich because they were good with money. There's a big difference. Scrimp all you want, if there's not big money coming in, you be stayin poh.

Indeed, but a lot of people have big money coming in and still think they're poor, because they have no idea how to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

They all like each other, and get on well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

Ah yeah, but I heard you were a right spendthrift in Victorian times.

Really, where did you read that......can you post a link? Would love to read about it.

Rich people didn't get rich because they were tight with money, they got rich because they were good with money.

Aha..... so that's the secret.....well done. You are a smart guy. Just a little aside for you I am part of the 'THEY'..........don't hold it against me.
    There's a big difference. Scrimp all you want, if there's not big money coming in, you be stayin poh.

Yes big difference thats for sure.
    Big difference between appreciating value of money, understanding when one is being ripped off and being an idiot to accept face value of a service or product.

Kind regards and enjoy your evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

But are they as effective in masturbation prevention?

The checkout operator is.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Indeed, but a lot of people have big money coming in and still think they're poor, because they have no idea how to manage it.

It's not thinking you are poor, it is being careful. If one starts off poor then one understands what it is to go without etc. In this respect a rich/wealthy person does not think about 'I am rich I have enough I am made' but rather thinks about the next generation and the generation after that.

Moreover, a wealthy/rich (whatever you want to call it) does not think about or even manage his/her money, they employ people/professionals to do that.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Everyone's circumstances are different and everyone has a different definition for what is tight and what is rich. Also, how do you know how rich or tight someone is, people don't generally share with others what their earnings, assets, debts and expenditure are. It's a mistake to judge someone on their occupation or car or house. Often, you only get a sense for how wealthy someone was after they've died and their will appears in the Sunday papers, there are flaws with that approach too as substantial assets might have been transferred/gifted/hidden before death.

Now thanks to frugal living, hard work and luck I have no debt and a decent amount stashed away - enough to cover my projected living costs for at least the next 30 years. However I'm not a millionaire. Examples of frugal/tight things that I do are buying much of my food from the last day section in Tesco where it is discounted by 30-90%. And in general I like getting a bargain, am careful with money, don't drink or smoke etc.

So, based on this, am I
    rich and tight?
    tight but not rich?
    rich but not tight?
    not rich and not tight?

As for brand name products - sometimes they are worth paying extra for but very often they're not. People who are brand obsessed and say things like "you get what you pay for" are usually suckers in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Grayson wrote: »
    Only some rich people are like that. Just like some not so well of are. It's just more noticable in richer people.

Go look at the stinginess thread. You'll see it affects every spectrum of race, gender, sexuality and income levels.
    spot on. some people are just born stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

You don't get rich by writing checks

• Advertisement

Someones cranky. First bit was a joke, you can have that one. Secondly, thanks, yes, I'm pretty smart as it happens. Also pretty rich, as it happens, but there you go. Also not mingy, ever. Also spend a lot of time advising companies on cost savings and value for money, usually the sharpest of the sharp. Most are household names, doubt they hire me for my looks, but I am pretty good-looking.:) You is cranky. Probably mingy too. If you're ugly, you got the full-house.

Have a nice evening.

By the way I guess with almost 4500 postings in less than year you must be doing alot of 'advising'. Where do you get the time? Surely amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Dejvice wrote: »
    Have a nice evening.

By the way I guess with almost 4500 postings in less than year you must be doing alot of 'advising'. Where do you get the time? Surely amazing.
    You've heard of "staff", right? That's the idea of it, loads of free time.;) I don't get up early very often either. Shocking. I've also no idea who you are, or why you've a hard on for me, but any chance you'd go beat some other drum? This one is not in the humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

BrianD3 wrote: »

Now thanks to frugal living, hard work and luck I have no debt and a decent amount stashed away - enough to cover my projected living costs for at least the next 30 years. However I'm not a millionaire. Examples of frugal/tight things that I do are buying much of my food from the last day section in Tesco where it is discounted by 30-90%. And in general I like getting a bargain, am careful with money, don't drink or smoke etc.

So, based on this, am I
    rich and tight?
    tight but not rich?
    rich but not tight?
    not rich and not tight?

As for brand name products - sometimes they are worth paying extra for but very often they're not. People who are brand obsessed and say things like "you get what you pay for" are usually suckers in my experience.

If you can cover your living costs for the next 30 years, I'd say you're rich. I would choose the 'rich and tight' option, only I'd replace 'tight' with 'smart'. As long as you're not screwing other people over to save a few quid and always at the toilet when it's your round, be proud of being tight. Nothing wrong with buying reduced stuff at Tesco instead of splashing out on fancy stuff for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Where To wrote: »
    Why are tight people so rich?

They don't know what to spend it on!!

Else ake immense satisfaction in having more money than meets the eye.. I guess u don't wanna draw attention to yorself when you're loaded but rich ***** always look so uninteresting, honestly i wouldn't bat an eyelid. Coot Hures, probs paid big money for cosmetic surgery ro disfigure emselfs too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OneArt wrote: »
    A lot of stuff like toilet paper is pretty much the same no matter what brand it is. At the end of the day it's just paper for wiping your arse. I always get the cheapest stuff. Who gives a f*ck if it smells nice it's going to be covered in sh!te anyway.

You haven't tried Badger's Arse then:

http://fumaga.com/i/badgers-arse-toilet-paper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

rich people are definitely not all tight feckers,it probably depends on their childhood/what sort of upbringing they had.
    tight rich people were probably once poor maybe.

am friends with the owner of the autism residential home organisation am living under and know exactly what she is like with the cash,she is mega mega rich-owns a bentley,aston martin and a smart car used for the company,she sponsors two kids of a disabled dad in africa-their mum died during the last pregnancy; she sends them a huge package of brand new clothing,school uniforms,toys,books etc every year and pays for the kids to go to school.
    start of last year off her had gotten an expensive incubator,brooder and lots of other chicken stuff to start incubating chicks she also paid for six hatching eggs of a rare breed which were expensive.
    she is always thinking of others-she is nothing like the stereotypes of rich people.

You've heard of "staff", right? .

No, Actually I haven't heard of ´Staff´.......are they or it like ´employees'? Do the staff post for you here, or do they advise companies?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I find it's always the Nouveau riche who are such. Old money families are seasoned in finance and will never let down their name by being tight to any lower order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

bluewolf wrote: »
    You don't get rich by throwing your money away
    Oh, I didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques (crazy laugh)

http://www.fantascienza.com/delos/delos52/sigates.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

you will never find people begging in wealthy areas. They are more inclined to go looking for charity from lower to middle class people as they can empathize better with the poor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement