Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are rich people so tight?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I've always wondered why well off people are so tight with their money, and complain about having to spend a cent more than they should.

One of the things I'd consider a luxury for when you have extra spending money is branded goods. Most of the time branded goods are better than generic ones, though there are exceptions. I know people who are very well off, no lack of money who buy the cheapest of everything, from supermarket shoes to prison-grade toilet paper. One particular person I know lives even breaks up easter eggs they're given and freezes them, keeping them for Halloween :eek:

I thought the whole point of having more money was to live that little bit better, even if it's only something as simple as getting Kelloggs cereals over own brand ones(provided you do actually prefer it)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Why are tight people so rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

[QUOTE=Denis322;83245484]I've always wondered why well off people are so tight with their money, and complain about having to spend a cent more than they should.

One of the things I'd consider a luxury for when you have extra spending money is branded goods. Most of the time branded goods are better than generic ones, though there are exceptions. I know people who are very well off, no lack of money who buy the cheapest of everything, from supermarket shoes to prison-grade toilet paper. One particular person I know lives even breaks up easter eggs they're given and freezes them, keeping them for Halloween :eek:

I thought the whole point of having more money was to live that little bit better, even if it's only something as simple as getting Kelloggs cereals over own brand ones(provided you do actually prefer it)?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering should I have another coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Only some rich people are like that. Just like some not so well of are. It's just more noticable in richer people.

Go look at the stinginess thread. You'll see it affects every spectrum of race, gender, sexuality and income levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Why does it always rain in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You don't get rich by throwing your money away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Because they are cute whores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

They get rich because they are tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Denis322 wrote: »
    I've always wondered why well off people are so tight with their money, and complain about having to spend a cent more than they should
    Why would rich people pay more then they should?

Why is everyone so concerned about what everyone else has and spends?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Why would rich people pay more then they should?

Why is everyone so concerned about what everyone else has and spends?

Because "they have more than me and it's not fair! :(:(:mad::mad::(:("

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

bluewolf wrote: »
    You don't get rich by throwing your money away

The music videos of countless 90's rap stars would disagree with you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I know people who are very well off, no lack of money who buy the cheapest of everything, from supermarket shoes to prison-grade toilet paper.

A lot of stuff like toilet paper is pretty much the same no matter what brand it is. At the end of the day it's just paper for wiping your arse. I always get the cheapest stuff. Who gives a f*ck if it smells nice it's going to be covered in sh!te anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 cruderbeef

Rich people are tight because they can afford to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Why are generalisations so general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

How are you so sure they're 'rich'? Some people can put out false appearances.

Anyway, being 'tight' and saving money on generic brands which probably taste the same anyway are two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

I've always wondered why well off people are so tight with their money, and complain about having to spend a cent more than they should.

I thought the whole point of having more money was to live that little bit better, even if it's only something as simple as getting Kelloggs cereals over own brand ones(provided you do actually prefer it)?

They're rich because they were careful with their money, ie, they did not squander it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Butt clenches and Kegel exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why are poorer people more wasteful with money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

efb wrote: »
    Why are poorer people more wasteful with money...

If them next door are getting a massive tv and new windows put in then so am I dammit! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

...One of the things I'd consider a luxury for when you have extra spending money is branded goods.
    Most of the time branded goods are better than generic ones, though there are exceptions. ...
    Oh? Give us a link to that information.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Dejvice

In this day and age I refuse to pay over the odds......it means in all areas from phone contract, insurance, heating oil, tv, etc..In the last few years not being frugal or mean or being stingy but by being polite and simply saying your price is not acceptable and I am sure you can do better....and I guess in 70 percent of cases they do better on price.....but I still go further. And I mean everything from branded goods etc......before Christmas walked out of a branded goods shop with a 30percent discount by asking for manager negotiating and showing the money and saying that is what I have....and it's afair offer (from 220e to 150e)Take it or leave it.

Since I started to adopt this approach in last few years I estimate I have saved my family about 3,000 EUR a year. Not life changing money by any means but it's in my pocket and that's what matters. (over the years these savings can add up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

snubbleste wrote: »
    Oh? Give us a link to that information.
    If all you require is a link to a random website to prove his point couldn't he just link his own post?

I do agree that brands aren't always better though

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

I know a woman that is so tight her ar*e squeaks when she walks....
    PS:I dont know if she is rich or not :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Tesco corn flakes taste exactly the same as Kelloggs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco corn flakes taste exactly the same as Kelloggs.
    They do not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

They do not!

They taste close enough... but they're not made of corn. They're made out of toenails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Because they are cute whores.

But if they were ugly whores they wouldn't be rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Most aren't tight. They, like any section of society comprise good, bad, mean and generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

They got rich because they were careful with their money. A lot of the people who are perpetually broke wouldn't be broke at all if they weren't so careless with their spending. Buying only brand names, buying new clothes all the time, buying drinks for strangers might make you look generous but it also means a few hundred euro down the drain that could have gone into your savings account.

Paying over the odds for things and throwing your money around to show off is stupid. It doesn't impress anyone, it doesn't get you anywhere. It's just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They do not!
    They do so!

Advertisement