Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls 6

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While they announced it very early, they did - in their defence - always stress that it was a very long time away and that Starfield would be the main priority in the meantime. Given Starfield is just out, it does make sense that it's only now likely to start slowly whirring up to full development (and even then that will take a while). Although, hopefully, a long and generous pre-production time means there's a strong road map prepared and ideas to start working with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Still plenty of time to get another Skyrim re-release or two before we'll see this i'm sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I don't get why they can't work on two different projects simultaneously, bit of a joke that this was announced 5 years ago and its going to be another 3 or 4 before we see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've 420 employees and that's just enough for 1 triple A game. The likes of Sony, Ubisoft or EA would have teams twice as big on one project. They aren't big enough. They work like all other studios with the art team during their down time prototyping and working on the next game while the code and game design of the current project gets hammered out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey in the meantime, we can always enjoy the progress of the Beyond Skyrim project: half of them will probably never be completed but some look more advanced than others... the effort being made remains quite awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There is some serious talent and modding abilities within the Skyrim community.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There really is, and given the base game is 12 years old their commitment is quite something; though I do think with Beyond Skyrim they have Bitten off more than they can chew, if they manage to release even half the Tamriel regions I'll be amazed.

Definitely too much. The Skywind and Oblivion remake projects are just about getting there and they already have a set template to work off. Never mind an entire continent with in a new era. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Main reason it takes so long I suspect is cause each new Creation Engine release is basically the actual 'sequel' to the previous one, on a technical basis. Excepting 'spin off' titles like New Vegas, but I doubt they want TESVI to be a spin off

Basically each new game feels like an iteration on that engine, and whatever work they did on Starfield seems likely to be iterated on for TESVI. So branching off and spinning up multiple ongoing projects might not fit the way they want to go with it

On that note, I highly suspect TESVI is going to be another procedurally generated world with heavy use of AI for NPC dialogue and reactivity. Which isn't miles away from the kind of design they were doing with Daggerfall, if I'm right, but more advanced obviously (TESII's procedural world was pre-defined I think, not on the fly like Starfield)

Have Bethesda (the studio) ever done a spin off in the 21st century?

New Vegas was done by Obsidian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Fallout 3 DLC Operation Anchorage is set in June 2076 :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Ah yeah, DLC can be spinoffs. I was wondering if they've done anything else.

Like there were Elder Scrolls spinoffs in the 90s that almost bankrupted the company, so I think they are wary of them now.

Advertisement