Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers being paid on the double

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

On the other hand teachers don't charge for homework correction at home. Its a double edged sword, this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Are you for real?

Methememb wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Who are you quoting sonny boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dj Grimreefer

I'd happily let a teacher from another school give me oral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

On the other hand teachers don't charge for homework correction at home. Its a double edged sword, this.

22 hours / week contact time with pupils leaves 17 hours planning and correction time;)

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    22 hours / week contact time with pupils leaves 17 hours planning and correction time;)

Which isn't enough as far as I can see from teachers I know.

They're unorganised

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Jaysus, the one's you know must be pretty inefficient! Or just not very good at their jobs which means needing to re-check things a bunch of times. As you gain experience, you should get quicker and quicker...no?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Jaysus, the one's you know must be pretty inefficient! Or just not very good at their jobs which means needing to re-check things a bunch of times. As you gain experience, you should get quicker and quicker...no?

I have no idea. Corrections seem to happen at night, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Dj Grimreefer

Our horticultural teacher used to lettuce get cabbaged, it was a turnup for the books to say the least, in fairness it was all the sage at the tyme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Boombastic wrote: »
    They're unorganised

Now you're clearly talking through your hole.

You think that corrections, writing exams, doing reports, filing schemes of work, semester plans, yearly plans, student reports for parent meetings etc can be done in a normal 40 hour week and that teachers don't bring work home?

What exactly is your agenda here? Were you scolded by your teacher lately or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have no idea. Corrections seem to happen at night, as far as I can see.

Goes with the territory. One of my primary school teachers corrected homework in the school after we left at 3. He'd usually be finished by 5 at least. Still a shorter day than most.

Secondary school teachers don't tend to have classes all throughout the school day. There's "free" periods. Also, if you get off at 4 and stay in 2-3 hours, you'd be out by 6:30-7. When you start at 9am. That ain't bad...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Haha, you do know that the government is full of teachers? NOthing will happen with the teaching gravy train.
    Teachers ?
    Check out how many publicans and lawyers are setting up stuff for their ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Right, so I agree that teachers for Oral exams shouldn't be getting paid on top of their salary for doing these exams seeing as they are as a result not able to teach their own classes during these times. They should get expenses & mileage though.

However, why wouldn't they get paid for supervising and correcting the state exams during their holidays? Only a portion of teachers are needed to supervise the exams, even less correct them I'd imagine. If I was a teacher why would I give up weeks of my holidays for no pay and supervise exams when most of my colleagues were finishing up for the summer in June?

Also, somebody said above they're getting paid for doing nothing during the summer. It's called an annual salary, it's just split into bi-weekly payments. I'm on a salary, I get paid monthly, I took 2 weeks off in a row last summer but still got paid during it :eek: I really hate that argument. If it appeases you let's pay them only from September to June, they're still going to get the same amount per year though.

btw - I'm not a teacher - work in the private sector. I'm the son of one though.

kraggy wrote: »

You think that corrections, writing exams, doing reports, filing schemes of work, semester plans, yearly plans, student reports for parent meetings etc can be done in a normal 40 hour week and that teachers don't bring work home?

What exactly is your agenda here? Were you scolded by your teacher lately or something?

What has any of that got to do with being paid extra to supervise and correct exams?

You are also forgetting that they are only in contact with the students for 26 weeks of the year so there is plenty of time for yearly plans, student reports etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

kraggy wrote: »

Yearly plans, semester plans... seems like the kind of thing that one could do if you had say a Summer off each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

This is a national disgrace.

It's no coincidence that Dail Eireann is full of teachers...

OP, I'll see your double and raise you one. I wonder how many of these teachers are (early) retired, claiming handsome pensions, back teaching and doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Goes with the territory. One of my primary school teachers corrected homework in the school after we left at 3. He'd usually be finished by 5 at least. Still a shorter day than most.

Secondary school teachers don't tend to have classes all throughout the school day. There's "free" periods. Also, if you get off at 4 and stay in 2-3 hours, you'd be out by 6:30-7. When you start at 9am. That ain't bad...

It depends on the subject tbh. An art and religion teacher might have 2 hours of marking and preparation to do after school whereas a languages teacher, English especially, could have 4-5 hours of marking and prep to do daily. The best teachers, the ones who really care about their student's results, especially those with 3rd and 6th years, can find themselves working till 8.30 most nights with plenty of marking left over for the weekends.

It also depends on the school and class sizes. A lot of teachers have taken early retirement in the last year or so as to maximize their pensions before the cutbacks. The teachers who are left have had to take on extra classes which inevitably leads to more marking and prep work.

At the end of the day it's a relatively stable enough job, but I feel teachers are disproportionately demonized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Teachers ?
    Check out how many publicans and lawyers are setting up stuff for their ilk

Aya, its endemic in this country, take care of your own :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Right, so I agree that teachers for Oral exams shouldn't be getting paid on top of their salary for doing these exams seeing as they are as a result not able to teach their own classes during these times. They should get expenses & mileage though.

However, why wouldn't they get paid for supervising and correcting the state exams during their holidays? Only a portion of teachers are needed to supervise the exams, even less correct them I'd imagine. If I was a teacher why would I give up weeks of my holidays for no pay and supervise exams when most of my colleagues were finishing up for the summer in June?

Also, somebody said above they're getting paid for doing nothing during the summer. It's called an annual salary, it's just split into bi-weekly payments. I'm on a salary, I get paid monthly, I took 2 weeks off in a row last summer but still got paid during it :eek: I really hate that argument. If it appeases you let's pay them only from September to June, they're still going to get the same amount per year though.

btw - I'm not a teacher - work in the private sector. I'm the son of one though.

Teachers get about 90 day's paid holiday a year. Giving up three weeks of that to mark exams still leaves them with three times more holidays than most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Teachers get about 90 day's paid holiday a year. Giving up three weeks of that to mark exams still leaves them with three times more holidays than most people.

As was already stated, teachers get an annual wage. They essentially get paid by the hour, 22 hours per week for 34 weeks - I should also point out here that over one quarter of teachers in secondary schools do not have a full secure contract, I have a contract for four hours and am liable to have to move to another part of the country next year for work, if there is any - and this is divided by 12 or 24, depending on whether the teacher is DOE or VEC, thus giving the teacher an annual wage paid either bi-weekly or monthly.

As was already stated, teachers get an annual wage. They essentially get paid by the hour, 22 hours per week for 34 weeks - I should also point out here that over one quarter of teachers in secondary schools do not have a full secure contract, I have a contract for four hours and am liable to have to move to another part of the country next year for work, if there is any - and this is divided by 12 or 24, depending on whether the teacher is DOE or VEC, thus giving the teacher an annual wage paid either bi-weekly or monthly.

they get paid a salary, hence the salary scale. The lack of full time contracts is nothing to do with this discussion about getting extra pay on top of their salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

That is really ridiculous. Teachers should be made to correct exams. If not in their own school, then the next neighboring school etc. Any young teachers i know have new cars and are off traveling the world for 3 months of the summer, while getting fully paid, and then the gov are forking out extra for teachers who wish to earn 'more' money by correcting papers.

Teachers should be made do 3 weeks off non classroom work once the end of term has finished. for example, last class is on the 27th May etc, then they should be made work @ whatever is assigned to them for the next 3 weeks, be it correcting exams, producing new notes, administration for new students etc...

Now its no fault of the teachers, if they are not made/required to do it then like any job they are not going to do it. Its down to the people who make the rules and set them. Teachers are well entitled to be off for the summer as i know this first hand being involved in 3rd level education and the hours of none classroom prep work. I only get paid for the hours i teach, and must correct all exams my students sit, or mark papers from others courses.

Advertisement