Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists again: breaking pedestrian lights

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

What's really fcuking pissing me off is these dopes on their high horses brazenly and openly admitting to flaunting the law carelessly sailing through a red light, then they bash motorists saying the law's the law, obey the 30 lkph limit .... if that's the fucking case then stop at lights, after all, the law's the law, ain't it ??

Yes the laws the law and it annoys me just as much as you when cyclists break lights, and when I see a fellow cyclist breaking a light I will let my voice be heard, but you can't generalize all cyclists this way however, there is a percentage of cyclists who follow the law you know, probably about the same percentage as drivers who follow the law. You are completely ignoring the fact that motorists are just as guilty as cyclists.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You people are ridiculous.

Here's the story:
    • The majority of motorists that don't drive haven't a bloody clue about cyclists, cyclists' safety, and generally don't have any knowledge or awareness about cyclists' rights on the road.
    • The majority of cyclists that don't drive, either commonly or at all, think that motorists are the source of all evil on the road, they don't give cyclists enough room, they have no patience etc.
    • The majority of cyclists that drive and cycle regularly have a partial understanding of each of the above.
    People break the law. People are rushing/flustered from time to time and need to get from A-B quickly, thus generally disregarding safety. Everyone does this. Cyclists break red lights regularly, generally when it is safe to do so, in my experience. Cars park on cycle lanes. Buses cut corners with cycle lanes. Pedestrians cross when they're not supposed to.

Stop arguing about it - nothing will change (including the arguing, most likely).

</thread>

You're completely right, but the funny thing is, that's all been said before too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

You're completely right, but the funny thing is, that's all been said before too!
    That's exactly my point! Arguing like this never stops. There will probably a similar thread to this within weeks of this one ending.

Also worth noting, it's human nature to want to always "get in the last word", which is where good self-control comes into play, to resist the urge to continue the argument. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Also worth noting, it's human nature to want to always "get in the last word", which is where good self-control comes into play, to resist the urge to continue the argument. :D

True, the last word. :D

These "people" want the same rights as normal people (drivers) with none of the responsibilities

These menaces often cycle on the path

Again you are generalizing all cyclists, which i take offence to. If we(cyclists) had equal rights, with that would come equal punishment which would mean those who do disregard the rules of the road will have the law to answer to whilst cyclists who follow the law would be able to cycle freely without so much abuse. You still aren't even acknowledging that drivers are equally guilty.

• Advertisement

Again you are generalizing all cyclists, which i take offence to. If we(cyclists) had equal rights, with that would come equal punishment which would mean those who do disregard the rules of the road will have the law to answer to whilst cyclists who follow the law would be able to cycle freely without so much abuse. You still aren't even acknowledging that drivers are equally guilty.

^^ an example of bad self-control. :D

^^ an example of bad self-control. :D

If you had decent self control yourself you wouldn't still be posting on this thread :D

If you had decent self control yourself you wouldn't still be posting on this thread :D
    LOL :D

This is actually hilarious, for once in an AH thread! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

These "people" want the same rights as normal people (drivers) with none of the responsibilities
    Like the 77% of drivers who speed, take their responsibility? If we add to them, those who don't indicate, use hand phones, break amber lights, going the wrong way around roundabouts, parking on footpaths...what percentage of 'law abiding' drivers would remain? 5% perhaps?
    These menaces often cycle on the path
    That's illegal, as is parking on the footpath.

Still waiting for you to back up your claim of '95% cyclists breaking traffic lights', will you take responsibility for this statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

All those drivers (or most of them) who speed are being punished. Like another gentleman said on this thread the reason so many are done is because the speed greed cameras are patrolling wide open revenue roads.

Drivers are punished for breaking the law, cyclists get off scot free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sometimes its better for everyone if cars park partly on the path because a wide vehicle can't pass otherwise. I know one street where a woman with a double buggy started a campaign going door to door to get people to park on the road. I had a feeling it wouldn't end well and when I was there I parked round the corner.

All was fine until the bin lorry came the following Monday. The whole street didn't get the bins emptied because it couldn't pass. Everyone went back to parking on the path.

Not all rules make sense all the time. That's why some cyclists choose not to wear a helmet and some coast through a red light when safe to do so. Its also why drivers shouldn't stay more to the left even though instructors teach this.

Do you apply that same 'common sense' as a pedestrian?

Cyclists who weave through pedestrians at red lights are wreckless Aholes, as are pedestrians who walk out in front of cyclists when the cyclist has the green light. Whether on foot or bike I see nothing wrong with breaking a red light after stopping and confirming the coast is clear.

This should be the beginning and end of the argument.

People moaning about cyclists should try cycling to work/college for 2 months and then see where their opinion lies.

99.99% of the time they'll end up engaging in the same behaviour that they moan about now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Sometimes its better for everyone if cars park partly on the path because a wide vehicle can't pass otherwise. I know one street where a woman with a double buggy started a campaign going door to door to get people to park on the road. I had a feeling it wouldn't end well and when I was there I parked round the corner.

All was fine until the bin lorry came the following Monday. The whole street didn't get the bins emptied because it couldn't pass. Everyone went back to parking on the path.

Not all rules make sense all the time.

That old chestnut again.

So everyone parked in a way that blocked their bin collection service, and then went back to parking in a way that forced infants in prams onto the road?

Is there something about cars that makes people's brains and legs stop working properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Yes it annoys me. Someone who chooses to use a potentially dangerous piece of machinery should do their best to avoid hurting someone. Just because no one is visible doesn't mean someone isn't going to suddenly run out from a distance and take advantage of the fact the lights are red.

Here's another thing that annoys me. The council recently allocated parts of the roads and paths here to cyclists. The cyclists pay absolutely no attention to them. I was walking on the pedestrian side of the footpath the other day when a cyclist came hurtling towards me. I had to get out of his was even though there was a cycle lane on the very same path about a foot away from where he was cycling. Selfish, inconsiderate moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

All those drivers (or most of them) who speed are being punished.
    Does not compute. Most drivers get away with it.

There are 2.5 million licensed drivers in Ireland. 77% of them break speed limits. Only 200,000 of them got a speeding fine in 2011. That's less than 10% of them. Not, 'most' as you claim. This generously assumes no driver was caught more than once.

So, when can we expect justification for your claim that 95% of cyclists break traffic lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Barcelona have the red light system in place for bikes and supposedly the cops come down hard on any cyclist that breaks em.

I don't really want to bring up the AH cycling topic again, but I think this is quite pertinent.

In these threads, there's always a couple of real geniuses who post about how they are going to hit/attack the next cyclist they see on the road.

If you are someone who have posted something like this, this is what it looks like from the biker's perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ehqBtcjOIc8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I don't really want to bring up the AH cycling topic again, but I think this is quite pertinent.

In these threads, there's always a couple of real geniuses who post about how they are going to hit/attack the next cyclist they see on the road.

If you are someone who have posted something like this, this is what it looks like from the biker's perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ehqBtcjOIc8
    Should be shown to all cyclists. Might put manners on them

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ken wrote: »
    Should be shown to all cyclists. Might put manners on them
    Awe thanks ken - always thought I could do with some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

We need more common sense in our laws. Some cyclists as well as pedestrians are bordering on extremely dangerous in their behaviour. On the other hand , motorists should be able to turn left on red like in the USA.

What I hate the most of all is ''smug'' cyclists who seem to assume that I as a motorist don't also cycle. Pedestrians who think they have the divine right to step out in front of a car are also mind boggling. It's not like I havent' walked everywhere for years when I couldn't afford a car so I know theres a definite psycho cultural problem happening there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Deadly,

Have you also got a clip of people reversing on the motorway because the missed their exit? Or the ones where the car is driving the wrong direction on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Deadly,

Have you also got a clip of people reversing on the motorway because the missed their exit? Or the ones where the car is driving the wrong direction on the motorway?

No but that also sounds pretty lulzy, closest thing I have to that kind of havoc is the well-cited video of the Sulky Race last summer :D
    Always had an urge to do a remix of the sulky race with "Yakety Sax" playing in the background :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The majority of motorists that don't drive haven't a bloody clue about cyclists, cyclists' safety, and generally don't have any knowledge or awareness about cyclists' rights on the road.
    I think I know what you meant to say... but failed :P

=-=

If they break the lights as I'm crossing the road whilst the green man is showing, I shout "BOO!" at the cyclist breaking the lights. Frightens them :D

Advertisement