Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists again: breaking pedestrian lights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AlDPal wrote: »
    Well as a pedestrian, who so far has been lucky not to have been hit by cyclist careering along Henry St. or on a footpath. I have a few friends who have been knocked over by a cyclist. one, only yesterday as she was using a pedestrian crossing a cyclist ran the red light and knocked her to the ground, with quite nasty results. My own reaction, and I feel perfectly justified, is to kick out at the wheels of these idiots, if they have no regard for me as as pedestrian, I feel perfectly justified to take this action, and if they fall to the ground, well better them , than some older pedestrian or child that they might injure.
    As a pedestrian, luas commuter, cyclist, motorist, bus commuter... a few weeks ago I happened to be cycling around a large roundabout & a pedestrian ran out in front of me (at a non-crossing point) and knocked me to the ground. Luckily no cars were coming, he had no injuries at all, I had a few cuts & bruises, I may aswell add he had no insurance or licence either(in case that info is important to you like my modes of transport might be).

Another guy almost did the same just this morning in a similar spot, luckily for them I wasn't a hard macho-man warrior like yourself, otherwise I would have kicked the legs out from under him. Better him than a cyclist or motorist. Have you beaten up any pedestrians acting in a dangerous manner yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

joolsveer wrote: »
    I believe that drivers of cars should stop at red lights.
    They're supposed to stop on amber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Cyclists make me sick to my teeth. These "people" want all of the privileges of normal people (motor drivers) with none of the responsibilities.

Cyclists make me sick to my teeth. These "people" want all of the privileges of normal people (motor drivers) with none of the responsibilities.
    Motorists are such hypocrites - claiming cyclists are worst road traffic law offenders when drivers break very rule in the book and pretend to be 'law-abiding'. Just ask them about speeding (78% of motorists speed) and listen for the excuses about speed traps being 'revenue generators' and speed limits being wrong. Ask them about their amber-light breaking and you'll be told that it was 'not safe to stop'. Don't bother asking about illegal parking or using fog lights when it's not foggy.

opti0nal wrote: »
    (78% of motorists speed)

95% of cyclists break red lights
    and 75% of statistics are made up on the spot when you know you are wrong :)

Give me a link for that stat you just gave me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Motorists are such hypocrites - claiming cyclists are worst road traffic law offenders when drivers break very rule in the book and pretend to be 'law-abiding'. Just ask them about speeding (78% of motorists speed) and listen for the excuses about speed traps being 'revenue generators' and speed limits being wrong. Ask them about their amber-light breaking and you'll be told that it was 'not safe to stop'. Don't bother asking about illegal parking or using fog lights when it's not foggy.

Speeding? Going 61kph in a 60kph could constitute speeding. Hardly dangerous.

Speed traps = revenue generators.

You have speed traps on perfectly good, safe roads yet I've driven on roads down the country where two cars can barely pass each other, no lighting and yet the speed limit is 80kph.

Where are the speed traps on these dangerous roads? They don't get enough traffic to catch people and generate money.

These are the roads where accidents happen.

Sometimes it's just not safe to stop at an amber light. That's a fact.

I'll give you illegal parking (in some cases) and fog lights.

Otherwise you're brandishing all motorists the same which is just rubbish.

It's funny the amount of cyclists here who claim they stop at lights. Actually, it's quite amazing because I very, very rarely see it.

If I was cynical I'd say they're saying so in order to validate their whining about motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

95% of cyclists break red lights
    and 75% of statistics are made up on the spot when you know you are wrong :)

Give me a link for that stat you just gave me

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/study-more-than-90-of-drivers-break-speed-limits-498907.html There you go buddy, turns out motorists aren't the innocent saints they proclaim themselves to be ;)

Edit: And heres another for ya, turns out he was really underselling it at 78% http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/majority-of-drivers-admit-to-breaking-speed-limit-26778704.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/study-more-than-90-of-drivers-break-speed-limits-498907.html There you go buddy, turns out motorists aren't the innocent saints they proclaim themselves to be ;)

You're quoting from a 30 kph speed limit zone. Jesus Fucking Christ. You can even cycle faster than that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

You're quoting from a 30 kph speed limit zone. Jesus Fucking Christ. You can even cycle faster than that.

Its still the law.

Its still the law?? And it is there specifically for safety purposes as town is littered with people so its far more dangerous. You can't just ignore a speed limit because you think its too low, its still breaking the law, might as well rob a bank because they have too much money.

• Advertisement

Its still the law.
    Its still the law

Well said :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well said :D

Same to you sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dublin bike cyclists give cyclists a bad name

New figures just to hand, it's 77% of motorists in urban arterial roads where the limit is 50kph. Many other interesting stats about motorist behaviour in that document.

Now can you give us a source for the 95% of cyclists you claim break traffic lights?

Speeding? Going 61kph in a 60kph could constitute speeding.
    A broken traffic light is a broken traffic light, same goes for speeding. 33% of drivers exceed urban speed limits by more than 10kph. In a collision, that could be the difference between life and death for whovever gets hit.

Sometimes it's just not safe to stop at an amber light. That's a fact.
    Because you're driving too fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I drive through pedestrian lights very slowly if there is clearly no one crossing or could possibly cross. It's just common sense. If you know you couldn't possibly have an effect on anyone else then there is no legitimate reason to wait for the lights to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If cyclists had a speed limit of 10 km/h imposed for the safety of pedestrians how many of them would speed and blame the rules?

Its still the law.

Are red lights still the law for cyclists? that the OP openly admits to breaking ?? is she exempt from the law?

Because you're driving too fast?

No, you could be driving 50 kph, the limit, and it changes when you are meters from it. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

No, you could be driving 50 kph, the limit, and it changes when you are meters from it. Jesus.
    Actually, it would be complete madness to be driving at 50kph coming up to a set of traffic lights. Limits are not targets.

But to reiterate someone else's point, I cannot believe this argument is actually starting again, literally less than one week after the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I couldn't give a fook tbh, as long as they don't affect me

Are red lights still the law for cyclists? that the OP openly admits to breaking ?? is she exempt from the law?

Well, duh. I don't approve of any law breaking on any mode of transport. I never said anything remotely like her being exempt from the law.

Are drivers exempt from the law if they perceive the legal limits as being too slow for their supreme skills?

What's really fcuking pissing me off is these dopes on their high horses brazenly and openly admitting to flaunting the law carelessly sailing through a red light, then they bash motorists saying the law's the law, obey the 30 lkph limit .... if that's the fucking case then stop at lights, after all, the law's the law, ain't it ??

Well, duh. I don't approve of any law breaking on any mode of transport. I never said anything remotely like her being exempt from the law.

Are drivers exempt from the law if they perceive the legal limits as being too slow for their supreme skills?

Then why are you thanking posts they say the laws the law, obey the limit ?

Anyone who cycles or drives knows full well what actually happens when the lights change to amber.

What's really fcuking pissing me off is these dopes on their high horses brazenly and openly admitting to flaunting the law carelessly sailing through a red light, then they bash motorists saying the law's the law, obey the 30 lkph limit .... if that's the fucking case then stop at lights, after all, the law's the law, ain't it ??

Cyclists are all just one person really?

I literally never break red lights, I always use hand signals, and obey all other traffic laws relevant to me. But I don't think you'll care.

If cyclists had a speed limit of 10 km/h imposed for the safety of pedestrians how many of them would speed and blame the rules?

What makes it necessary for the limit for cyclists' speed limit to be lower then drivers? And thats not a 'cyclists deserve equal rights' question(although they do btw :D), limits are there for safety reasons so there wouldn't be reason to have a motorist limit at 50 and a cyclist limit at 10 because cycling at speed isn't more dangerous then driving at speed.

cyclists deserve equal rights

These "people" want the same rights as normal people (drivers) with none of the responsibilities
    What makes it necessary for the limit for cyclists' speed limit to be lower then drivers?

These menaces often cycle on the path

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

You people are ridiculous.

Here's the story:
    • The majority of motorists that don't drive haven't a bloody clue about cyclists, cyclists' safety, and generally don't have any knowledge or awareness about cyclists' rights on the road.
    • The majority of cyclists that don't drive, either commonly or at all, think that motorists are the source of all evil on the road, they don't give cyclists enough room, they have no patience etc.
    • The majority of cyclists that drive and cycle regularly have a partial understanding of each of the above.
    People break the law. People are rushing/flustered from time to time and need to get from A-B quickly, thus generally disregarding safety. Everyone does this. Cyclists break red lights regularly, generally when it is safe to do so, in my experience. Cars park on cycle lanes. Buses cut corners with cycle lanes. Pedestrians cross when they're not supposed to.

Stop arguing about it - nothing will change (including the arguing, most likely).

</thread>

Advertisement