Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much is too much mileage on a diesel car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

derry wrote: »
    The average Merc car they say will give up before the engine often they say around 500,000 kilometers
    True. Happened to my friend. The body started to rust on his 1987 300D Benz. The car covered near 1,200,000 km and the body had to be replaced. With a car like this, you need to make sure that you drive it a lot to get some use out of the engine, as the body will give up first.
    He is going to put the engine and the gearbox and some mechanical bits into a different body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

About 3 years ago I saw my dads old taxi still flying around Dublin, as a taxi. Bought new in 1998, sold on in late 1999 with 96k miles on the clock, still like a new car. Marea TD100, would loved to have seen what the mileage was on it then :)

So to answer your question OP, diesels will keep on going with the right attention

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Once it's maintained they'll go forever. I have a 2L TDI PD 170 engine, I have had to do the DMF, I got an EGR+DPF bypass and the Injectors were done under re-call, there is 130,000 miles on the clock and its 2007, I have done about 70k of those in two years and I plan on doing the same all going well!!
    Keep her serviced.....

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I'm going to agree with everyone on here. Those miles arn't too bad. I'd say 130K or so would be high for that year.

[QUOTE I'd say 130K or so would be high for that year.[/QUOTE]

Oy, my car resembles that remark!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Sorry I'm just saying! Nothing wrong with a car with high miles that is regular serviced with a history :)

vader65 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm just saying! Nothing wrong with a car with high miles that is regular serviced with a history :)

It's ok, she didn't hear yeh!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

I have a 2005 Volkswagen Caddy with only 53k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Sure she's not even warmed up yet.

I bought my previous car with 90k miles and my current one had about 45k miles on it when I bought it and to be honest there is a world of difference. I would never buy a car with miles anywhere near 100k again. Both petrol and my current car is 2006.

The car has less wear on everything from interior to body work, its tighter to drive, less wear and tear items to be replaced in it etc etc. I have it a year and a half and still haven't reached 60k miles so its so much fresher still than if I'd bough something with 100k that was now pushing 120k.

It will also have lower mileage when selling, making it worth more and easier to sell and I would plan on changing long before it gets to 100k miles.

I would set 50kish miles as about as high as I'd want the mileage on a car I was buying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

While riding recently in a taxi (2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI), I noticed it had 540k kms on the clock, so I guess a modern diesel can last about 800k kms if serviced properly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

TBH an engine should just about last forever if it's not abused and is looked after properly, a little love can go a long way. I know of a Passat with 600k (miles) on it and it's still going strong.

If a car's showing age at 90k then there's something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Fella i know traded his 10 ford focus diesel with only 16k on the clock for a 132.

thought he was mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I picked up a 97 Hiace with 73K genuine miles up - it is literally like a new van. Considering we run them to 500k before we start wondering if they need a bit of attention, I'd say 100k is no biggie on a diesel - as long as someone dropped the oils when they needed dropping...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bladespin wrote: »
    TBH an engine should just about last forever if it's not abused and is looked after properly, a little love can go a long way. I know of a Passat with 600k (miles) on it and it's still going strong.

If a car's showing age at 90k then there's something seriously wrong.

Let's see those new whizzbang 1.0 engines with umpteen turbos do that. They will have gone whizz and BANG a long time before that. Besides having sod all torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mikefrommeath

hi

I am lookint at Mazda MAZDA6 2.2d [163] TS2 5dr with 132k Miles on the clock

Any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

maybe be silly question but why do uk imports have such high mileage ?
    Because there can be a higher price difference in the UK between low mileage and high mileage cars than over here. Importers want the best profit they can get, and they won't make any money back if they buy the more expensive but lower milage car, so they go for the high mileage stuff.
    A lot comes from ex-fleet cars at an auction, so are cheaper than mainstream stuff in dealers by some margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I know a lad with a 97 Peugeot 406 and it has 485,000 miles on. Still running sweet as a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

hi

I am lookint at Mazda MAZDA6 2.2d [163] TS2 5dr with 132k Miles on the clock

Any thoughts on that?

take it its a uk import? Service History (not just a service book, but in voices and receipts, old MOTs, if applicable)?

At 132k miles, if its been serviced correctly, looks good and tidy (not just shiny from a valet, but a clean car) and the price reflects that not everyone is comfortable with higher mileages, it could be a good buy. and heres the but.....

It wouldn't bother me as I buy generally higher mileage well priced 3-4 yr old cars and drive them for 4 years. but if you like chopping your car say every year or two, and do maybe 25-30k miles a year, its not going to have the strongest resale. You have to buy the car for a price that reflects the mileage:)

ran a 1.9tdi to 500k miles, and everyone elses high mileage story seems to relate to old skool diesels. I wonder how much hardship that taximans had with that 08 tdci Mondy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ran a 1.9tdi to 500k miles, and everyone elses high mileage story seems to relate to old skool diesels. I wonder how much hardship that taximans had with that 08 tdci Mondy:)

It's virtually impossible to kill those 1.9tdi engines. I saw a 1991 mk3 golf a while back that had failed the NCT due to quite extensive rust on the bodywork but the engine was running like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

On a Mazda 6 you need to take the key to a main dealer for a scan. The service history is stored here and there isn't a service book.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It's virtually impossible to kill those 1.9tdi engines. I saw a 1991 mk3 golf a while back that had failed the NCT due to quite extensive rust on the bodywork but the engine was running like new.
    A 1991 Mk3 Golf would actually have been a Mk2. If it was diesel, probably the 1.6 SDI engine. Mk3's were mostly 1.9 SDI too, very few were TDI.

No mk2 or 3 golf was an SDi, Umwelt IDi, turbo / non turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Disco Td5 outside that's only rolled over to 180k miles. Still drives well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

On a Mazda 6 you need to take the key to a main dealer for a scan. The service history is stored here and there isn't a service book.

Never knew that.. That's pretty cool and would solve the issue of missing history if other marques did the same

(unless it can only be updated by a main dealer?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My Cmax is 270k km, hope it'll do the same again.

No mk2 or 3 golf was an SDi, Umwelt IDi, turbo / non turbo
    Meh, slow non-turbo diesel regardless of the nitty-gritty! Either way, in this country hardly any were turbo.

• Advertisement

A 1.6td with a small screw would out run most small modern diesels, be every bit as economical, and be easy fixed. Wonder how many 1.5/1.6 diesels I'd today will see their 20th birthday? Many will become economical write offs before their 10th birthday:)

Advertisement