Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much is too much mileage on a diesel car?

Options
  • 13-02-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Thinking about buying a 2008 A4 2.0TDI. There's a lot of good deals to be had on high mileage motors, but is say, 90K miles too much for a car of this year? Its easy to think a week after buying a car like this the turbo is going to explode or the DMF is going to give up and roll down the road in front of you from the so many horror stories online, and then there's resale to think about.
    For added confusion some people say a low mileage diesel is a car to stay away from!!!
    Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That mileage is nothing for a diesel. Id be more worried about a low mileage diesel used for stop start journeys. It really all depends on the complexity of the engine in the car you are looking at if small mileage is an issue or not.

If going for a passat, id get one with a 1.9pd tdi engine or a 2.0 Tdi CR engine. The 2.0pd tdi engine isn't suppose to be the most reliable of engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive 70k on my 08 audi petrol and to be honest its only run in. Having bought new, I know its the correct mileage. If you can verify the mileage with proper history and invoices, that mileage is nothing and I would suggest anything less on a 5 year old diesel is going to be lies in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

That mileage on a diesel wouldn't bother me at all. There is 100k miles on my 2008 astra and I wouldn't consider it that high. Once the car is well is minded mileage is really only a number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Are you sure it miles and not km?
    2008 car will have ODO and speedo in km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

possible import?

• Advertisement

sean1141 wrote: »
    possible import?
    The country has been flooded by UK import diesel cars in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Depends on what diesel car.

A Vectra, Saab or Alfa with the 1.9 Fiat/GM engine, then more than likely the DMF is shagged @ 100k. See if has been done (look for receipts), and if hasn't allow for €800-€1000 at an indie. Check condition, noise at tick over when cold, or lock knocking at clutch biting point. VAG are possibly stonger, but depends on what kind of driving the car was doing.

It's also worth remembering the conditions of Irish roads. 100k is a lot of suspension wear on Kerry B roads. It's not on UK motorways. Service history is also important.

But 100k is not high mileage on a modern diesel.

A Vectra, Saab or Alfa with the 1.9 Fiat/GM engine, then more than likely the DMF is shagged @ 100k. See if has been done (look for receipts), and if hasn't allow for €800-€1000 at an indie. Check condition, noise at tick over when cold, or lock knocking at clutch biting point.

It's also worth remembering the conditions of Irish roads. 100k is a lot of suspension wear on Kerry B roads. It's not on UK motorways. Service history is also important.

:rolleyes: You do know there are other things other than suspension that are under pressure in a car, particullarly at motorway speed. And what's to say the car was on the motorway all the time? The UK has many back roads too with poor surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: You do know there are other things other than suspension that are under pressure in a car, particullarly at motorway speed.

What would be under pressure :confused:

:rolleyes: You do know there are other things other than suspension that are under pressure in a car, particullarly at motorway speed.

I was talking about suspension. Did you miss that part?

• Advertisement

I was talking about suspension. Did you miss that part?
    If you read my post again you'l see i didn't;)

:rolleyes: You do know there are other things other than suspension that are under pressure in a car, particullarly at motorway speed. And what's to say the car was on the motorway all the time? The UK has many back roads too with poor surfaces.

Are you on drugs?

I never said the UK didn't have back roads. You can't prove the car was on the motorway all the time. I never said you could. If it was I said.

UK back are far superior to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lagoona Blue

sean1141 wrote: »
    possible import?

maybe be silly question but why do uk imports have such high mileage ?

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    What would be under pressure :confused:
    The gearbox for one and in some lower powered cars the engine also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The gearbox for one and in some lower powered cars the engine also.

I'm sorry but I have never come across a car (1.4 Bora included) that there was any indication it was under pressure doing 120km/h or faster. Seeing that this thread is discussing diesels which are generally geared high they are most certainly not strained to do 120.

Are you on drugs?

I never said the UK didn't have back roads. You can't prove the car was on the motorway all the time. I never said you could. If it was I said.

UK back are far superior to ours.
    No, but you most be on something if you can't remember what you wrote:rolleyes:

A Vectra, Saab or Alfa with the 1.9 Fiat/GM engine, then more than likely the DMF is shagged @ 100k. See if has been done (look for receipts), and if hasn't allow for €800-€1000 at an indie. Check condition, noise at tick over when cold, or lock knocking at clutch biting point. VAG are possibly stonger, but depends on what kind of driving the car was doing.

Please show me where you say ''If''

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I have never come across a car (1.4 Bora included) that there was any indication it was under pressure doing 120km/h or faster. Seeing that this thread is discussing diesels which are generally geared high they are most certainly not strained to do 120.
    Many cars certinatly do become strained after 60mph a 1.4 Bora incuded. But I do agree with you that many diesel engines aren't strained at this speed, but everything else is turning faster than what they would be on an 80km/h back road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A VAG TDI is capable of infinite miles once its properly maintained. Just check the service history and if its all good then you won't have any problems.

No, but you most be on something if you can't remember what you wrote:rolleyes:

Please show me where you say ''If''

I didn't say "if", I was talking about suspension wear/lack of on UK motorways compared to Irish B roads.

What is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

maybe be silly question but why do uk imports have such high mileage ?

Probably mostly because anyone buying a diesel in the UK is only doing it because they're doing high milage. There's no motor tax incentives to buying diesel in the UK, and IIRC there's feck all price difference in fuel, So people don't buy a diesel to drive to the shops and back twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Many cars certinatly do become strained after 60mph a 1.4 Bora incuded. But I do agree with you that many diesel engines aren't strained at this speed, but everything else is turning faster than what they would be on an 80km/h back road.

The problem with back roads is that there's corners, braking, accelerating, changing gear, steering, there's bumps, ruts and man-sized potholes. And the odd boulder on the road that fell off one of those lovely old stone walls.
    I'd buy a car with 150k km on motorways over one that has done 100k km on backroads.
    Especially a front wheel drive, where the front wheels have to deal with everything at once, this is murder on the suspension, brakes and, especially on a diesel, the DMF.
    The problem is not the bits going round at a constant rate, but the constant changing of forces.
    And the knackered alloys are also a concern.

I didn't say "if", I was talking about suspension wear/lack of on UK motorways compared to Irish B roads.

What is wrong with you?
    Well you claimed you did say ''if'' in your last post.

No you were assuming that uk cars are mostly on the motorway so they're suspension must be perfect which isn't exactly true because many parts of the uk have back roads not much better than our own.

And btw nothing is wrong with me. What is wrong with you? Why do you keep forgeting what you said in your previous posts?

I give up. I think everyone knows what I was talking about. Buying an ex-fleet company, high mileage diesel car with FSH from the UK, where the car would have spent most of its life on the motorway.

I didn't think you were going to go off on one.. "other things other than suspension that are under pressure in a car, particullarly at motorway speed", "what's to say the car was on the motorway all the time?" etc. etc.

Ok then, motorway cars are bad too. I agree 100%. Jesus h

I give up. I think everyone knows what I was talking about. Buying an ex-fleet company, high mileage diesel car with FSH from the UK, where the car would have spent most of its life on the motorway.

I didn't think you were going to go off on one.. "other things other than suspension that are under pressure in a car, particullarly at motorway speed", "what's to say the car was on the motorway all the time?" etc. etc.

Ok then, motorway cars are bad too. I agree 100%. Jesus h
    No im not saying motorway cars are bad at all. I taught you were saying all uk cars in general spend most of there time on the motorway. Now that you have mentioned ''ex fleet cars''I see where you are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Our old-shape 2005 Passat tdi has 370000 kms on it and is rolling along nicely...interior wears well, no dreaded suspension problems, an aircon rad and alternator fitted, not much else...a bit heavy on front tyres, terrific on juice..50+mpg without behaving like an old woman, gearbox bearings groaning for past 50k, threw in some addidive to the 'box, and its not deteriorated..
    So I'd say a 100000 miler is a safe bet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I've never bought anything with less than 100k miles on it (let someone else take the shine off it) I bought my current car 06 vectra with 190k kms on it a year and a half ago and it now has 300k kms, not a bother on it. I'd take a well maintained high miler over a poorly maintained low miler any day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

The Diesel engines I know of that exceed 1,000,000 kilometers are the Toyota and Mercerdez non turbo models .Toyota Carina erly 1990 era 2000cc 4 cyl 75BHP reputed by Dublin taxi drivers to get more than 1,600,000 kilometers ( 1 million miles )
    The other engine is the Mercedes 6 inline 3000cc non turbo
    Another engine is from the merc s 123 and 124 2500cc non turbo usually early 90s have sometimes exceeded 2,000,000 kilometers
    The Mercs need a new set of injectors every 350k kilometers

I presume that is similar with Toyota.I have one jap im[port Carina 1993 with maybe 250,000 kilometers on the clock or seeing as it was Dublin Taxi before might be second time around but got it for €200 I drive most of Europe this year and done 50,000 kilometers in it since i bought it in 2010 .
    Goes fine when i use it presently been sitting in car park in Switzerland since November got fed up spending two hours a day digging it out of the snow so will start it up again in April 2013 and use the bus for now .

The average Merc car they say will give up before the engine often they say around 500,000 kilometers

I will probably by a old VW van and drop the Toyoto Carina 2000 cc diesel in it as this is the only diesel I know that fits the old VW as the car is getting creaky

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd say it'd be 100% dependent on the previous owners and the car itself (some can just be dogs from the day they roll off the finish line till the day they roll into the scrap yard). But for all intent and purposes that's not a high mileage for a diesel, just do the same checks that anyone does, I wouldn't immediately decided not to get a car based on the mileage some times a well running higher mileage car can be better maintained then something with much less miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

derry wrote: »
    The Diesel engines I know of that exceed 1,000,000 kilometers are the Toyota and Mercerdez non turbo models .Toyota Carina erly 1990 era 2000cc 4 cyl 75BHP reputed by Dublin taxi drivers to get more than 1,600,000 kilometers ( 1 million miles )
    The other engine is the Mercedes 6 inline 3000cc non turbo
    Another engine is from the merc s 123 and 124 2500cc non turbo usually early 90s have sometimes exceeded 2,000,000 kilometers
    The Mercs need a new set of injectors every 350k kilometers

I presume that is similar with Toyota.I have one jap im[port Carina 1993 with maybe 250,000 kilometers on the clock or seeing as it was Dublin Taxi before might be second time around but got it for €200 I drive most of Europe this year and done 50,000 kilometers in it since i bought it in 2010 .
    Goes fine when i use it presently been sitting in car park in Switzerland since November got fed up spending two hours a day digging it out of the snow so will start it up again in April 2013 and use the bus for now .

The average Merc car they say will give up before the engine often they say around 500,000 kilometers

I will probably by a old VW van and drop the Toyoto Carina 2000 cc diesel in it as this is the only diesel I know that fits the old VW as the car is getting creaky

Derry
    A mates sister had a old diesel carina 300k miles on the clock when she got a new car,the carina was donated to the field where it lasted 2years of abuse finally having to be scrapped after kissing a ditch to hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

I brought an Izusu Trooper up to 350k miles without much bother, if a car's looked after mileage shouldn't be a big issue, 90k shouldn't be anything on a diesel engine.

Advertisement