Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need ideas for 'day dates'

Options
  • 13-02-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Myself and my OH have gone into a bit of a rut in the last few years. Usually on a Sunday if we are both free we usually dont really go anywhere so we just do a bit of housework and himself ends up on the computer and I watch tv or on the internet on my phone, which is grand some weekends but its every weekend now. We dont really know where to go that isnt shopping or visiting lifestyle centres. So I wonder if anyone can give me some ideas on something different to do for a 'day date' without having to spend a fortune. We are in our early 30s and we both are not into sport at all.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Where do you live? No point suggesting walking in the Wicklow Mountains if you're living in An Daingean.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Lucena wrote: »
    Where do you live? No point suggesting walking in the Wicklow Mountains if you're living in An Daingean.

south leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I must be getting old, I don't even know what a lifestyle center is!

Anyway, our daytimes are jammers.

We go to beaches or harbours, or little villages for a walk around and a cup of tea & cake maybe. We like photography, so we bring the camera and have a bit of fun with landscapes and the rest.

If we're in the city or it's pissing rain we will go to some free museums, or the markets, or whatever festival is on. Maybe get breakfast or lunch someplace we haven't been before.

And then we visit friends and family as well for a catchup.

thanks, I like the idea of photography.

a lifestyle centre is like Johnstown Garden Centre or Rathwood or the Arboretum in Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

pwurple wrote: »
    I must be getting old, I don't even know what a lifestyle center is!

Something they have in America

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

This might sound stupid and childish but I think its fun and gets your imagination going.

Make up a Wheres Wally type list for each other, with 10 items on each list. Travel to a town and walk around looking for your items. First to spot all wins or whoever has the most.

By Wheres Wally items I mean things like 'yellow car', 'man who resembles Santa', 'something wrote in Irish'.

Maybe Im just dreadfully immature for my age :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The zoo, picnics, take a class together and then do lunch, go for walks, art gallaries, bowling.

I have no idea what a lifestyle centre is either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

All of the galleries and musems are open on Sundays or http://www.geocaching.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Take up cycling, that will keep ye busy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is not a criticism of OP, but am I the only person on the planet that does not consider shopping as relaxation. I've been to Johnson Garden Centre but if we wouldn't at the same time visit Japanese Gardens I would consider it a chore.
    The same goes for any other shopping except perhaps art or book purchases.

For me it's galleries, walks and just lazily drinking coffee somewhere. Or just going for aimless drive and stop here or there. But since we have kids, I'm just happy if we are somewhere where the older one is entertained.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    This is not a criticism of OP, but am I the only person on the planet that does not consider shopping as relaxation.

I love shopping and do that enough when I'm not with my OH, its not relaxing with him. I just want to do something different with my boyfriend in our free time thats not so money orientated. I wouldnt always have money to go on a big shopping trip every weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

On the photography idea. One day I bought a load of disposable cameras and myself and a few friends strolled around as a group taking pictures. We got them developed and spent an hour looking over them a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Myself and my gf are both broke, so I know what you mean, op, it can be hard to find something to do together that isn't a bit expensive- things like coffees, lunch out etc. all add up!

We do enjoy photography, it's a hobby we both enjoy so we do a fair bit of that. We go for walks and stop a lot to take pics. We have DSLR's but tbh we don't use them anymore and prefer our phones! I love experimenting with Hipstamatic, and it's fun to compare at the end of the day the pics you both got. Plus they're great to put into memory books or something for presents.

We both love water so going to the beach or a river or lake is something we'd do a fair bit. Once the weather gets better that's a bit easier. Nothing better than going for a walk along the beach in the evening with a big bag of chips between ye!

We're both crafters too, so we'll sometimes spend evenings sitting in watching tv sewing or knitting- not something for everyone, but I've also really wanted to try model making (like Airfix kits!) so you never know you might build one together maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm a big reader, and find it very relaxing. My husband, not so much. So I ordered an audiobook from one of my fave authors and we're planning on going for a drive, grab a drive through and sit in the car somewhere nice and pretty and listen to it for a while. :) It's like a version of a picnic, just for bad weather.

We walk the dogs a lot and recently have started trying our hand at canicross. If you don't have dogs then go for a walk without them (it's not as much fun though!)

A day in bed, is lovely too on cold days. No TV or laptop, maybe the newspaper, brekkie in bed and a chat.

Every now and again we have an evening where we make some recipe we haven't done before. Granted it usually ends up with me cooking while he trails around after me cleaning up, but it's fun.

thanks for the ideas.
    I really like the idea of visting pretty villages, etc and photography.

I completely agree Baby and Crumble a trip to Dublin is easily €50 for diesel and lunch/coffee before you buy or do anything else. I would rather spend maybe €25 or €30 on doing something on a Sunday and be able to go on a holiday later in the year or a few concerts I cant have it both ways.

The Wheres Wally idea wouldnt really be my cup of tea but thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lucena wrote: »
    Something they have in America

Nice contribution. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Are there any markets in your area?

I absolutely love day spent wondering through markets, something about buying bits of adorable junk and then going for a cup of tea and piece of cake that's really relaxing.

I always mean to do it more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Morag wrote: »

Did this on a 4th date and it was so much fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Do a guided tour of somewhere - Wicklow gaol, Dublin literary pub crawl, or whatever.

Go see a sport that neither of you have much interest in.

Paint the house (or a small part of it) together.

Do up part of the garden together. Weed, prune, fix, paint fences, plant flowers. Get plants in pots for the patio.

Go for a picnic & a long walk.

Do a big walk on the longest beach - like Curracloe. Bring picnic, camera, swimmers if you dare.

Watch a Youtube video or 2 on portrait photography then spend an hour each taking pics of each other in a nice location. Then each choose the ten best of each other's & then pick one each to frame.

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Visual Carlow is a cool arts centre. http://www.visualcarlow.ie/ They have the biggest "white space" in the country so can have really interesting, large sculptures and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Reesy wrote: »
    Go see a sport that neither of you have much interest in.

I love going to live sports events but no-one ever will go with me. And I have no car so it's very difficult to get to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Try this website:

http://www.nerdydaytrips.com/

Some of the stuff is really unsual and you can add your own to if there is something you find that's fun. You can look anywhere in the world as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kyia

Lovely places too visit would be Huntington Castle in Clonegal
    Altamont Gardens in Tullow
    Loftus Hall
    Hook Head
    Kilmore Quay for fish and chips
    Glendalough
    Glenmalure
    Morriscastle beach Kilmuckridge
    Curracloe beach and woods around it
    Powerscourt
    Johnstown Castle

kyia wrote: »
    Altamont Gardens in Tullow

Drat - I was going to recommend this.

I know, I'll recommend it anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Ok not what you wanted but...

We're from Dublin and the last few years we've become tourists in our own city.

Into town early for brekkie and we've done The Storehouse, Kilmainham, Dublin Castle etc etc

Topped off by dinner and a few cosy pints.

A great date!!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

You could start climbing, it can be more interesting and challenging than just walking in parks. With a few friends I started climbing local trails and loved it. We often go to different parts of the country now and do different routes. During the Summer we did Carrauntoohill and it was amazing. Highly recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

Day dates are the best! Dream a bit - go to the market just to plan a future party, check out homes for sale in a new neighborhood (that always made my flatmate happy), plan a garden at a nursery, or visit a travel agency just for fun...

If you're in a rut, you probably just need a new perspective. Anything tactile or new can be exciting - a pottery class could be fun... Ask each other what you've always wanted to try or see ... then try and make it happen, even if it's just pretend - if it's 'take a trip to Venice' then find a way to bring part of Venice to you, gondola music, an Italian meal, etc..... Do something you are both not good at - awkward silliness goes along way in alleviating boredom and bringing people closer.

Perhaps go in search of a charity shop just to see what you find... If you can't buy what you like, simply pick out something that reminds you of the other and share why... You could find a piece of furniture to refurbish or re-invent. DIY projects bring out your creativity and its fun to make something together then have something proud to show for your labour.

Cheers to you for seeking togetherness!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 ScriptKittie

I used to love taking day trips to Wicklow with my OH. Put some walking gear into the boot of the car and find somewhere to go for a long walk. Bring a picnic.

Even ham sandwiches taste lovely when you're hungry and outdoors.

thanks for all the suggestions I'm sure we find something we both will enjoy from them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

lahalane wrote: »
    This might sound stupid and childish but I think its fun and gets your imagination going.

Make up a Wheres Wally type list for each other, with 10 items on each list. Travel to a town and walk around looking for your items. First to spot all wins or whoever has the most.

By Wheres Wally items I mean things like 'yellow car', 'man who resembles Santa', 'something wrote in Irish'.

Maybe Im just dreadfully immature for my age :p

Ha ha I LOVE this idea! I'm going to make him do it next weekend!! He'll fight it but I bet he'll love it! :D

Advertisement