Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire 'lenten appeal'.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was a bit surprised. I don't know whether there was a general drop in my area. I have a 'no junk mail' sign on the door, but I guess that doesn't apply to Trocaire! We also had to get tough on the mass envelopes, the local parish contact couldn't understand why we didn't want them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I have fond memories of the Trocaire box.
    On the other hand, it did introduce kids to an idea that others may be worse off than themselves.

Hey, it may have introduced kids to a notion that they could do it better than trocaire.
    I'd agree with this. :)

The only thing I'd say would be, with the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses removed, there must be better charities to introduce the concept of starving foreign kids to our own kids. It's all too easy to take the obvious route of saying "all charities are good think of the children" (I'm looking at you, Silvio) - when some are patently as interested in peddling a nefarious worldview as feeding the poor.

It's not about taking money from the Trocaire box and spending it on abortions, it's about a personal choice as to what charities parents or kids would like to see benefiting from fundraising. Charities that perhaps see more of the actual money spent where it's needed most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

eviltwin wrote: »
    This is what I wonder too, Trocaire boxes were on the go when I was in school 30 years ago and still going, that's a great campaign any charity would love to get. Who gives them the go ahead to do it year on year?

Eh the schools patronage is usually the Roman Catholic Church.

I doubt you get them in the Educate Together schools.

Advertisement