Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire 'lenten appeal'.

Options
  • 13-02-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Just got one of these boxes in the door, which sparked memories of being sent home from school with one. There's a glossy blurb with it and a lot of 'information' :rolleyes: on the good work being done. Can't really see anything relating to the religious background of Trocaire, but given its a 'lenten' appeal the connection is obvious. Got me thinking, do schools still send these home, how do non religious parents deal with it, and is it easier to fill it up and send it in to, once again, make sure your child isn't the odd one out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My daughter left primary 4 years ago and every year she came home with the collection box, we binned it :D I've nothing against the notion of getting kids to raise money for charity, actually think its a great idea but the waste that goes on in Trocaire was enough for me to not want to get involved. The school never minded and I know there were a lot of other students who never bothered with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm curious, what sort of waste occurs? Would I be right in assuming administrative costs are the issue?

I'm curious, what sort of waste occurs? Would I be right in assuming administrative costs are the issue?

That would be some of it but some admin costs are unavoidable. I work in the charity sector and waste is a problem in general but some charities are worse than others. Trocaire is one that I choose not to support because I want my donations to get to the people who need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Mission: Inspired by Gospel values, Trócaire works for a just and sustainable world for all.

So were it not for the Gospel, they wouldn't be working at all :rolleyes:.

The annual report is here: http://www.trocaire.org/sites/trocaire/files/pdfs/whatwedo/2012TrocaireAnnualReport.pdf

I think what annoys me is how it manages to get into schools, to children, and then keep on being associated with a particular time of the year. I feel the same about the MS Readathon, because I also feel it monopolizes a certain sector of education and no one ever questions it because its seen as a nice charity drive and gets children reading, what's not to like? But the religious element bothers me greatly.

lazygal wrote: »

I think what annoys me is how it manages to get into schools, to children, and then keep on being associated with a particular time of the year. I feel the same about the MS Readathon, because I also feel it monopolizes a certain sector of education and no one ever questions it because its seen as a nice charity drive and gets children reading, what's not to like? But the religious element bothers me greatly.

This is what I wonder too, Trocaire boxes were on the go when I was in school 30 years ago and still going, that's a great campaign any charity would love to get. Who gives them the go ahead to do it year on year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I've always thought that Trocaire generally do more good than harm, is there any legitimacy that donating to them isn't going to be helping people in need?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I generally do more good than harm.

Remind me to drop a cardboard box with a money slot in the top over to your house.

Dades wrote: »
    I generally do more good than harm.

Remind me to drop a cardboard box with a money slot in the top over to your house.

Well my point is that they're a charily organisation that actively helps people, they have some questionable reasons for operating but is that a reason not to donate..

Dades not sure if you have the charity status required to get your very owen cardboard money box house.... yet. :)

Well my point is that they're a charily organisation that actively helps people, they have some questionable reasons for operating but is that a reason not to donate..

Dades not sure if you have the charity status required to get your very owen cardboard money box house.... yet. :)
    I think questionable reasons for operating is a prime reason not to donate. Having known a lot of people in the charity/volunteering sector, there's a lot of egos involved, masked by a sense of how great they are doing work (which they are paid for) for charity.

Generally this would be true. But Trocaire is (according to wiki) "the official overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland."

If you are someone who disapproves of the way the Catholic Church operates overseas (or at home, for that matter) then this is a very conscientious objection.

• Advertisement

Its how they use that money that some people might object to. For example would they be okay using it to fund contraception for African women or would they use it to provide condoms as part of HIV prevention. As a Catholic organisation they might not and for some people that would be an important issue so you can see why some people might choose not to support them.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Its how they use that money that some people might object to. For example would they be okay using it to fund contraception for African women or would they use it to provide condoms as part of HIV prevention. As a Catholic organisation they might not and for some people that would be an important issue so you can see why some people might choose not to support them.

Thats a fair point. I would like to think money i give them helps others provided that the help given doesn't go against the RCC's policy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Generally this would be true. But Trocaire is (according to wiki) "the official overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland."

Reminds of a certain photo, from Haiti, that shows some helpful Christians handing out delicious bibles to starving locals.

Religion. Even more important than food and water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Are you tax-deductible?

robindch wrote: »
    Are you tax-deductible?
    But of course. The Dades Institute has been charitable for many years now. :)

Can I be a patron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Obviously I'm not an atheist, but I wouldn't give to Trocaire myself. They are a big, unwieldy organisation which seem to spend an awful lot on advertising and administration. I'd have the same issue with Concern.

One the money is used effectively, I couldn't care less what the ethos of the charity is (Crosscare and SVP do excellent work for example). Most religious based charities market a clear distinction between charitable activities and missionary work so there should be no cause for concern. I'd take a dim view of the likes of Samaritans Purse though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pity. I thought you'd called it "The I Own An Institute (Which Is Tax Deductible)".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They way they operate in Ireland is reason not to donate. If I'm giving money to a charity appeal I want to know that 90-100% of that money is actually going to the appeal and not to overpaid, unnecessary administrators. If I want to give money to overseas aid I'll always give it to Oxfam Ireland. Their policy is that 100% of the money donated for emergency appeals goes directly into the area they are helping. And for all other money donated and shop profits less than 10% per annum is allowed to go to administration and campaigning, highly impressive considering that part of Oxfam's remit is as a campaigning organisation in a way that Trocaire and Concern are not.

I can't see one reason why I would ever give a penny of my money to an organisation that wastes to much when there are charities that are happy to have their head office consist of a few unimpressive rooms above a cafe in order to keep their operating costs to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

My daughter left primary 4 years ago and every year she came home with the collection box, we binned it :D I've nothing against the notion of getting kids to raise money for charity, actually think its a great idea but the waste that goes on in Trocaire was enough for me to not want to get involved. The school never minded and I know there were a lot of other students who never bothered with it either.

Irish students and their parents rarely support any fundraisers be they for the school or local charities. And it is not just a recession thing. I would have been involved in several school and sports committees and I was continuously amazed by the lack of support from people that could support these thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is what I wonder too, Trocaire boxes were on the go when I was in school 30 years ago and still going, that's a great campaign any charity would love to get. Who gives them the go ahead to do it year on year?

This is an interesting question. Anyone know how they get this opportunity? Im sure most charities would like to have it.

Dave! wrote: »
    This is an interesting question. Anyone know how they get this opportunity? Im sure most charities would like to have it.
    Yes, it's a mystery how the official overseas charity of the Irish catholic church manages to get in the door of our catholic-run schools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sarky git :p

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Was just wondering this myself today. See what you have done to me Boards A&A? You have turned me into a skeptical un-trusting non-believing cynic.

Thankyou for that

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Wwo. just how petty can some people be...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes, it's a mystery how the official overseas charity of the Irish catholic church manages to get in the door of our catholic-run schools!

Political correctness gone mad is what it is.

I'll only refuse charities that look dodgy, or those that explicitly want to propogate religion. Other than that, I'm easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Afaik trocaire boxes are only sent home in catholic schools, not ET, other faith schools or gaelscoileanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I have fond memories of the Trocaire box.

Kids seemed to have an increase in their access to cola bottles and penny blackjacks during lent.

Dunno if there is a co-relation, but i have my suspicions!

On the other hand, it did introduce kids to an idea that others may be worse off than themselves.

Hey, it may have introduced kids to a notion that they could do it better than trocaire.

Good luck to all sides.

I do remember the panic of trying to find coppers for the Trocaire box, to give it some weight , but not much substance, the night before we had to bring it into class.

Weight was everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wwo. just how petty can some people be...:(

Judging others again Silvio? Didn't your god have something to say about that?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lazygal wrote: »
    Just got one of these boxes in the door, which sparked memories of being sent home from school with one.

Nobody's picked up on this.
    Bit weird if they've started putting them through the door.
    Nobody has the right to bring religion to others' homes uninvited IMHO.
    Bad enough that we got a couple of boxes of RCC parish donation envelopes the year we moved in. After zero envelopes went back, they stopped giving us any :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement